IGNORED

Hitting the Driver 250+

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMO, speed is something you cant really teach or learn. You can learn to hit a ball father by doing things in the swing correctly (center contact, tempo etc) but above average speed is something either you have or you dont. Body makeup has alot to do with it too i guess. If youre long and lanky, you naturally have more leverage than say a normal sized guy. Which is around 5'8 or so. But im 6'0  and i don't particularly have great distance. I don't know where the speed in my swing comes from, and i honestly don't care. Play with what you have. 

51 minutes ago, iacas said:

The body is a minority percentage. Amateurs can turn 90°. 110°. Etc.

So what are you asking @Vinsk?

Why can I turn 90* and swing like there’s no tomorrow yet only generate a 95-100mph SS? My hips are still not open at impact but since they’re only a small portion of what’s generating speed ..why do I swing so slow? How can I torque myself like crazy, take the club considerably further back than finau yet pale in club speed?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What seems hard to grasp is how much the body must influence the speed of the arms. I’m a helluva lot more powerful than JT but he can smoke me on distance anytime. And how the hell does Finau generate so much speed with such a short backswing? Isn’t the biggest difference in pro’s swings and amateurs their rotation? I mean it doesn’t take incredible skill to swing hard so how do they do it if the body is such a small percentage of the swing?

Well think of it this way: take the hands out entirely and keep them ramrod straight, swing all out with your body...

Don't know about you, but my shot wouldn't carry 130, and I've a very strong torso and stronger legs than 90 percent of people.

To be honest it does all work together. I didn't say 90 percent is the wrists, I believe the number was 75 percent. I mean, you still have to turn, it's a given. The wrists and hands however provide a ton of speed to go with the turn, and the hands are most of where the speed is imo. But the body is so little speed-wise in any sporting motion, at least in terms of power and speed generation by itself. There has to be a lever aspect, and that's the wrists.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Why can I turn 90* and swing like there’s no tomorrow yet only generate a 95-100mph SS? My hips are still not open at impact but since they’re only a small portion of what’s generating speed ..why do I swing so slow? How can I torque myself like crazy, take the club considerably further back than finau yet pale in club speed?

Because you can't swing as fast as them or even me.

You have different muscles capable of different levels of things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The way I'm attacking it, according to Trackman, 105 w/AoA of 0 should get 243 carry. Figure 102-3 with AoA of 2-3 should get something like that. My driver SS maxes out around 102-103, so optimization to do in terms of consistent sweetspot contact, hitting up and getting max SS closest to the ball. I also find if I get the arms straight at A7-ish, drives are better. Also driver is 10.5, not sure if that's the right loft, should get fitted.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The way I'm attacking it, according to Trackman, 105 w/AoA of 0 should get 243 carry. Figure 102-3 with AoA of 2-3 should get something like that. My driver SS maxes out around 102-103, so optimization to do in terms of consistent sweetspot contact, hitting up and getting max SS closest to the ball. I also find if I get the arms straight at A7-ish, drives are better. Also driver is 10.5, not sure if that's the right loft, should get fitted.

This is a recent Mevo session. I don’t know why the club speed/ SF didn’t register. This is also with floater range balls that new are stated to deliver 20% less distance and these of course were far from new. Either way I’m not swinging very fast. Disappointing.146B8730-4EC8-4FD3-A076-E7CB1DB34B4F.thumb.png.fed5a3acfad62a7cd6bfc66e23e1b18b.png

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, iacas said:

He said the majority, not "everyone" or something.

Yes. You may have missed where I said, "I agree that the majority have a longer swing, though."

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Zippo said:

Yes. You may have missed where I said, "I agree that the majority have a longer swing, though."

I just don't see the point in pointing out an exception when he said "the majority."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

I just don't see the point in pointing out an exception when he said "the majority."

OK. saevel25 said, "there are many ways to hit the ball long, its not just one swing type. " I pointed out one of those ways. Sorry you missed the point.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Zippo said:

OK. saevel25 said, "there are many ways to hit the ball long, its not just one swing type. " I pointed out one of those ways. Sorry you missed the point.

I didn't miss the point.

At the end of the day, hitting the ball far requires speed and good contact. Move on now, please.

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!