IGNORED

Despite recently seeing PGA caddy warding off gator with rake, DO NOT MESS with them. See why.

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golfer barely escapes with his life during encounter with gator.

Quote:

Al Miller says that when he went to retrieve a ball from a water hazard at the 15th hole, a nine-foot alligator came out of nowhere and lunged straight for him.

The gator, Miller said, "picked me up three feet off the ground and slammed me down."

Miller says that if it wasn't for his golf partner, Ted Price, he might not be alive.

Read the Article

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, sounds like the gator really did attack with the intent to kill.  Sounds like a harrowing experience.  I wish they would elaborate on the process of 'destroying' the gator.  Is that something they had to do in order to free the guy?  Or did they seek the gator out later on and kill it on the basis that it would attack again?

I like how they use the word "destroy" rather than "kill."  That is clearly intentional

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Wow, sounds like the gator really did attack with the intent to kill.  Sounds like a harrowing experience.  I wish they would elaborate on the process of 'destroying' the gator.  Is that something they had to do in order to free the guy?  Or did they seek the gator out later on and kill it on the basis that it would attack again?

I like how they use the word "destroy" rather than "kill."  That is clearly intentional

Brandon

The gator just let go of the guy during the attack for some unknown reason.  The gator was later trapped and killed.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I wish they would elaborate on the process of 'destroying' the gator.  Is that something they had to do in order to free the guy?  Or did they seek the gator out later on and kill it on the basis that it would attack again?

In my experience it means a bullet to the head.  I've played quite a bit of golf in Florida.

When I saw that caddy messing with the gator on live coverage. The announcers are like "he probably shouldn't be messing with that large gator". I was like uh oh, this guys getting bit.

I like to watch a show on Discovery Channel about these gator trappers. These guys are nuts. But they know where to stand, they know exactly how the gators move. The gators have blind spots if you stand behind them, so they always approach the gator, with one guy distracting the gator from the front, while another guy is behind. And they just lay on top of them and push down on their jaws, then wrap the mouth duct tape.

I played golf in Florida a couple of times, and every time I saw a gator I freaked out, I was like holy crap, I'm staying away!!!

I played golf in Florida for the first time last summer. Saw one alligator and made sure to stay far away from the water. ;-)

I've played down in Florida a few times and every time I see one of those guys I make it a point to stay the hell away.  Why even mess with it?  I'm amazed at how a lot of courses down in Florida have the cart paths through swamps and wet areas that are about 2" above the water line.

I've seen that gator show.  It's amazing that their jaws can bite down with hundreds and hundreds of pound force but they have next to no strength to open their mouths.

Creature walks up to the edge of a gators ambush point, gator lunges out and grabs his food. Of course his intention was to kill.. Lol. He's not out for a round of golf, he's surviving. It happens. Couple years back, about a mile from my house, a kid got grabbed while fishing with his dad. Gator popped his arm off at the elbow before he knew what happened. Moral of the story, be careful by water hazards.

Originally Posted by Cajun83

Creature walks up to the edge of a gators ambush point, gator lunges out and grabs his food. Of course his intention was to kill.. Lol. He's not out for a round of golf, he's surviving.

Watching coverage on either CBS or the Golf Channel a few weeks ago, they kept pushing the idea that gators want as much to stay away from you as you want to stay away from them and that they aren't aggressive at all.

Brandon

Watching coverage on either CBS or the Golf Channel a few weeks ago, they kept pushing the idea that gators want as much to stay away from you as you want to stay away from them and that they aren't aggressive at all.

Brandon

They're generally not aggressive in the sense of chasing you down for no reason and they normally turn tail unless it's a female protecting a nest or if they're poised for ambush at the waters edge. The gator doesn't know what is disturbing the water if the water is cloudy, just that something inside its strike zone is moving. Their muscles are loaded for attack and any disturbance near the edge or in the water causes them to go off.

yea well I don't believe everything I hear on CBS cause I promise you when a gator of decent size sees you he is thinking food not run for the hills.

Gators generally do not 'mess' with you. You're bigger, so gator avoids you. That's their instinct.

There are exceptions - a mama gator protecting her young is a prime one. You get too close to her babies she will attack.

Gators also will go after dogs and small children. It's the size thing. To them, that's food.

Another thing - they will outrun you. They're fast. But they can't pivot & turn very well, so it's straight-line fast. If one's chasing you, just make a 90-degree pivot...they can't turn quickly.

Best rule of thumb is just stay the hell away from them. They don't want to be bothered.

So, when playing in gator country I will do the following:

1) Don't hit it into the water.

2) Do my best Barry Sanders impersonation if ever chased by a gator, and

3) Do not play golf in gator country

:)

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!