IGNORED

Bubba to skip The Players

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/bubba-watson-skip-players-championship-spend-more-time-family

He tweeted a bunch about it, stating that he wants to stay home with his (new) family.  As a dad I can see where he's coming from, wanting to be at home with his new boy because every moment with a child that young is amazing.  I couldn't imagine spending that much time away from my son right after he was born (adopted, whatever).  However it does say something about his career and possibly his drive to be the best player out there.  Maybe he doesn't want to be the absolute best.  He won a big one, a few small ones, so now he wants to sit back for a little while.  I think family wise he is doing the right thing, he's going to be home with the kid as much as possible, but from a career standpoint if he keeps tweeting about how hard the attention is and doing what he's doing, he's going to catch a lot of flack.

Makes sense. I was maybe a little surprised to see him skip out because he's from northern Florida, but he lives in Arizona now anyway.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Makes sense. I was maybe a little surprised to see him skip out because he's from northern Florida, but he lives in Arizona now anyway.

Actually he's living in Orlando.  They rented a house there right before they got the baby.  Not sure if that means he's moving there permanently or only until the baby gets bigger and then it's back to AZ but I thought I heard him say after the Masters about moving to Orlando full time.  Could be wrong.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Actually he's living in Orlando.  They rented a house there right before they got the baby.  Not sure if that means he's moving there permanently or only until the baby gets bigger and then it's back to AZ but I thought I heard him say after the Masters about moving to Orlando full time.  Could be wrong.

Ah, got it. Stupid Wikipedia, and my laziness for not scrolling down past the first line. ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

He's probably going to become like Geoff Ogilvy.

Wins a major and then hardly ever plays because he's focusing on the big ones and never does very much else except winning the Hawaii cash grab.

At least we'll be spared hearing him thanking his "lord and saviour".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

He's probably going to become like Geoff Ogilvy.

Wins a major and then hardly ever plays because he's focusing on the big ones and never does very much else except winning the Hawaii cash grab.

At least we'll be spared hearing him thanking his "lord and saviour".

Yes! How horrible it is to have to endure hearing these evil statements!!! I completely disagree with Bubba's worldview so I must disparage the things he believes in at every opportunity!!!! It's just not fair that I have to hear this!!!!!!!!!!!! [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness and back on topic, I'm surprised he would skip a high profile event like the players. I can see playing fewer tournaments, but why not take a break from some of the smaller tournaments?

Originally Posted by Dave H

In all seriousness and back on topic, I'm surprised he would skip a high profile event like the players. I can see playing fewer tournaments, but why not take a break from some of the smaller tournaments?

Jesus told him to do it.

The guy is a whack job, attributing his own skill and focus to the flying spaghetti monster. He's already shown himself to be illogical, so why would you expect him to make the logical move here (play the Players)?

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

Jesus told him to do it.

The guy is a whack job, attributing his own skill and focus to the flying spaghetti monster. He's already shown himself to be illogical, so why would you expect him to make the logical move here (play the Players)?

Spending time with one's family, especially when you have a new addition to the family seems a lot more logical to me than playing in some golf tournament that happens every year.  Family is more important than golf.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Im more than OK with Bubba choosing his family over a tournament.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Spending time with one's family, especially when you have a new addition to the family seems a lot more logical to me than playing in some golf tournament that happens every year.  Family is more important than golf.

I was never saying that it was otherwise. Well done taking my reply to his statement out of context!

Bubba has gone on record many times and said that golf is far down his list of priorities (it was like 5th if I recall).  And just because he is on tour - doesn't mean he has to play in every mainstream event.  As long as he plays in the minimum number of tournaments to maintain his tour status... I think the decision is fair and within reason.  I mean as a fan, I guess we could be disappointed because he isn't playing... But I respect his decision.

I've heard Bubba say the same about golf being lower on his priorities than most other pro's.  I think this is partially true and also a way for Bubba to keep the pressure off of himself by keeping expectations low.  That said, he and his wife just adopted a baby and they are midway through the process so they are stuck in Florida while their parenting skills are under evaluation.   It's their first child so I'm sure his wife is not ready to take 100% responsibility for his care while Bubba is away playing golf.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Bubba has gone on record many times and said that golf is far down his list of priorities (it was like 5th if I recall).  And just because he is on tour - doesn't mean he has to play in every mainstream event.  As long as he plays in the minimum number of tournaments to maintain his tour status... I think the decision is fair and within reason.  I mean as a fan, I guess we could be disappointed because he isn't playing... But I respect his decision.

Joe Paradiso

Bubba doesn't need to apologize to anyone..period

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I've heard Bubba say the same about golf being lower on his priorities than most other pro's.  I think this is partially true and also a way for Bubba to keep the pressure off of himself by keeping expectations low.  That said, he and his wife just adopted a baby and they are midway through the process so they are stuck in Florida while their parenting skills are under evaluation.   It's their first child so I'm sure his wife is not ready to take 100% responsibility for his care while Bubba is away playing golf.

I'm sure his wife could more than handle a newborn (adopted).  And if she couldn't - they can more than afford a nanny to help.  The point is - he wants to be around his wife and child.  Again, I respect that.

Not that I doubt Bubba on this call, but I was curious about his past record at The Players so I looked it up.  Bubba's finished under par once in the past 5 yrs and has missed the cut 3 of the last 5 yrs with his best finish being a T37.  With that track record at the tournament and his family's new situation, I certainly don't blame him.

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

Jesus told him to do it.

Why is that "the logical move" the guy obviously cares way more about his family than he does golf and that is the way it should be.  Pretty awesome he is skipping a major to be around his new baby in my opinion.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Pretty awesome he is skipping a major to be around his new baby in my opinion.

Do you work for the PGA Tour?

Or are you joking?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!