IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What I'm saying is that perhaps you guys forgot to focus on the distances during the shaft tests? Did you just test feel and launch angles/height? Who was the fitter? I'm curious what the "technique" was that you were using, too. Your technique would have had to change a fair amount I would think for your current clubs to be dramatically shorter (despite being 1° stronger).

We tested yardage, which is why we went a degree stronger with my Edel wedges. I noticed they were a few yards shorter than my own set, but not a full club. He had a portable launch monitor. Rob Gallagher was the fitter. I don't think my technique changed. I have always hit pretty high iron shots, and wedges a bit lower. Edels go higher than my Mizunos- almost a perfect parabola. Thanks for the responses.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

We tested yardage, which is why we went a degree stronger with my Edel wedges. I noticed they were a few yards shorter than my own set, but not a full club. He had a portable launch monitor.

Okay. I'm glad you were aware of it then.

Rob Gallagher was the fitter.

Okay. And yeah, he has a position within Edel now.

I don't think my technique changed. I have always hit pretty high iron shots, and wedges a bit lower. Edels go higher than my Mizunos- almost a perfect parabola.

Scientifically I doubt they're even close to a parabola. You'd notice if they were and the ball would fall out of the sky really quickly.

I was asking what "technique" Rob said you were doing to kind of "cheat" your old wedges, and why that same technique (particularly since you say it hasn't changed) isn't also "working" here to get more distance and "cheat" your new wedges.

Good players launch the ball low with the wedges. 24.2° with a PW, for example:

About 30° or so with a 56-58° club is common. It sounds like, for whatever reason, you're launching the ball higher now. I wonder if it could be the location of the CG of the wedge. If it's lower than your old wedges, it could launch the ball a fair bit higher. The shaft plays a role of course as well, as does your technique.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From my perspective, it is more of a parabolic ball flight. Scientifically, I know that is not the case but a 100 yard shot appears to reach the apex at 60 yards or so and land softly. Every other wedge I have tried has a more normal ball flight. I don't think my technique is different with these wedges versus all of the others I have hit, but who knows?

• Administrator

I don't think my technique is different with these wedges versus all of the others I have hit, but who knows?

Something is different.

I'm just trying to help you narrow down what that something is.

May be a bit of a dead end without any actual numbers (like launch/speed/spin, etc.).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

VERY nice! Thank you for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...
I also find these wedges to be quite a bit shorter than my previous Scratch wedge. I only have a 54 degree in the digger grind. I was fitted at Pasatiempo last summer, and I think it was based solely on the grind, as I do not remember much of a shaft fitting. My old wedge is bent a degree and a half flat and my Edel is standard, not sure if that would make much of a difference. I can hit the Edel about 90-95 yards on a full swing, but it goes oh so high. Right now I am debating on continuing the Edel wedge set or going with Vokey Sm5 or Mizzy MP T5''s.

I've benn gaming my Edels for a year now. I'm not sure they're any shorter than my old Vokeys, but they aren't longer. What I have noticed is my contact spot is very consistent on the club face. The custom fit is doing its job there. The feel off the face is very soft and I have have the cast version. Mid year, I picked up a Mizzy TP4 gap, 52*. This is an odd feeling club compared to my MP64's and Edel wedges. It produces more spin than my Edel, but has no feel. The feedback I get is a hard smack. YMMV.

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

I also find these wedges to be quite a bit shorter than my previous Scratch wedge. I only have a 54 degree in the digger grind. I was fitted at Pasatiempo last summer, and I think it was based solely on the grind, as I do not remember much of a shaft fitting. My old wedge is bent a degree and a half flat and my Edel is standard, not sure if that would make much of a difference. I can hit the Edel about 90-95 yards on a full swing, but it goes oh so high. Right now I am debating on continuing the Edel wedge set or going with Vokey Sm5 or Mizzy MP T5''s.

Most wedges would be +/-1 degree on the tolerance for the loft. It could be the golf shaft. It also could be the weighting of the club and you might be releasing it early. That would probably be from how the shaft loads. When I got fitted I tried out the C-Taper shaft and I hit every one fat, about a good inch behind the ball. The shaft was way too stiff for my swing and didn't load right. Then they switched me to the KBS Tour and I hit some good shots.

I played alot of Cleveland wedges before that, I don't see any difference in distance or height.

I would say you got misfitted with the golf shaft. I would go back and demand a refitting at no cost. You should not have walked out of their with a club that you mishit consistently. The whole process should include finding out what grind works best then figuring out which golf shaft fits your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 months later...

This seemed like a good thread for "baby" pictures so here is my new addition.

Danger could be defined as idle time + Internet + Paypal account...

50* Picker - what a beautiful club.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

This seemed like a good thread for "baby" pictures so here is my new addition. Danger could be defined as idle time + Internet + Paypal account... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/119211/] [/URL] 50* Picker - what a beautiful club.

Very nice. Did you buy it on eBay or were you fitted for it?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Very nice.

Did you buy it on eBay or were you fitted for it?

Static fitting on the Edel site. I'm a picker and I own it.

The site is easy to use and there are also a wide variety of shaft options. However, it appears that one cannot shop irons there. Also, don't make a rookie mistake like I did and pay for expedited shipping - you're gonna wait awhile anyway for a custom build, silly me.

• Administrator

You're near enough to a fitter that you could have done that, though, right?

Very few people actually end up fitting into the Picker grind when they get to hit shots with the clubs on the range.

You're near enough to a fitter that you could have done that, though, right?

Very few people actually end up fitting into the Picker grind when they get to hit shots with the clubs on the range.

They list a Chris in Reno that fits wedges, so yes. I traded an hour of drive time for Internet risk because I am insane :-D

I felt pretty confident about the picker grind because I play low bounce in my other wedges to include other 50's - previous trial and error, local desert course, etc. Very satisfied after first go with it yesterday.

Having said all this, I would not argue against dynamic fitting. I also recognize the high-bounce camp, just not living in it.

Can anyone quantify their HI improvement just by switching their wedges to Edel ones?    The clubs look nice and I understand the bit about added bounce.   Did it actually improve your scores in measurable way?   If your HI didn't move much after you switched to the wedges, it's a good indication that the new clubs didn't contribute much to improve your game.   I am shelling out my money on a custom fitted Edel putter but I get to use it 32 times per round.     I don't use the 3 wedges combined that many times in a round, in fact, I used them far less times.   I am trying to be very smart about improving my scores with my practice, lessons, and equipment ($$$).   So, any data based answer will be appreciated.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!