IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Can anyone quantify their HI improvement just by switching their wedges to Edel ones?    The clubs look nice and I understand the bit about added bounce.   Did it actually improve your scores in measurable way?   If your HI didn't move much after you switched to the wedges, it's a good indication that the new clubs didn't contribute much to improve your game.   I am shelling out my money on a custom fitted Edel putter but I get to use it 32 times per round.     I don't use the 3 wedges combined that many times in a round, in fact, I used them far less times.   I am trying to be very smart about improving my scores with my practice, lessons, and equipment ($$$).   So, any data based answer will be appreciated.

Again, because we aren't PGA Tour pros with a TON of stats tracked for us for each round, I think what you're asking is virtually impossible.

They help. Whether they're worth it to you, nobody else can really say.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played with Edel wedges for the first time.  I had 3 full wedge swing opportunities in the round.   All 3 were hit well - straight, high, within 15 feet of the holes but a bit short of target.   I don't usually hit full wedge shots b/c I am not very good at it.  Instead. I use 3/4 shots.   But if I can hit the sames shots I hit today, I will be hitting full wedge shots at every opportunity.

Chips out of rough weren't consistent.  I had some poor shots (more than usual) and good ones (usual).  I think it was a lack of confidence with how the new clubs will react out of rough,  It didn't hurt my final score, 91 (good) with 31 putts.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Played with Edel wedges for the first time.  I had 3 full wedge swing opportunities in the round.   All 3 were hit well - straight, high, within 15 feet of the holes but a bit short of target.   I don't usually hit full wedge shots b/c I am not very good at it.  Instead. I use 3/4 shots.   But if I can hit the sames shots I hit today, I will be hitting full wedge shots at every opportunity. Chips out of rough weren't consistent.  I had some poor shots (more than usual) and good ones (usual).  I think it was a lack of confidence with how the new clubs will react out of rough,  It didn't hurt my final score, 91 (good) with 31 putts.

Your full shot experience mirrors my own. The wedges are almost a full club shorter than those those they replacedd (Mizuno T11s) and the set prior to that (Bobby Jones Pelz) despite a degree stronger loft in the 51 and 55. Like you, I don't tend to take full swings with wedges. I have tested them several times against each other using the same brand of ball (TM TPx). Strengthening the wedges a few degrees, at Edel's suggestion and which they did for me, almost cut the gap in half. Around the green, the Edel wedges were much better and particularly so out of the bunkers. BTW, I thought I was a picker, but was fit into the Driver Grind!

It will take time to grown in confidence ... with any club. But especially your clubs around the greens, which require versatility.

I thought my Edel Wedges were shorter when I first played them. But after gaining confidence and swing changes, they are longer.

I put counterweights in the grip to add overall weight to all my wedges (Edel or not). My shafts are KBS Hi-Rev, and I believe additional weight helps me on delicate shots, and doesn't hurt full shot distance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There's a good chance I'll be able to link up with the fitter for wedges.  I currently game 52*, 56*, and 60* wedges and am curious, if I get 2 wedges, I'm thinking of replacing the 56* and the 60*.  Thoughts?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

They list a Chris in Reno that fits wedges, so yes. I traded an hour of drive time for Internet risk because I am insane

I felt pretty confident about the picker grind because I play low bounce in my other wedges to include other 50's - previous trial and error, local desert course, etc. Very satisfied after first go with it yesterday.

Having said all this, I would not argue against dynamic fitting. I also recognize the high-bounce camp, just not living in it.

"I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is." - F. Gump

Late Edit: Although I thought I ordered the PKR grind, gap wedge grinds only come in Pincher, Trapper, and Driver. I must have glossed over the hosel stamp upon receipt - mesmerized as I was by personalization and custom paint fill...

So this new, magic 50.12 fits in nice next to a 54.08 and 60.04 pair of Vokeys. And based on these first rounds (to include two pitch-in birdies) I may actually have a foot placed in the more bounce camp.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

There's a good chance I'll be able to link up with the fitter for wedges.  I currently game 52*, 56*, and 60* wedges and am curious, if I get 2 wedges, I'm thinking of replacing the 56* and the 60*.  Thoughts?

Sounds good but the fitter may recommend different lofts.   I had 50, 52, 56, and 60 and the fitter came back with 50, 54, and 58 recommendation.   I dropped 50 in favor of carrying *both* 3h & 3w.  Now I have a slight bigger gap between PW and 50 which I may have to fix.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

"I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is." - F. Gump

Late Edit: Although I thought I ordered the PKR grind, gap wedge grinds only come in Pincher, Trapper, and Driver. I must have glossed over the hosel stamp upon receipt - mesmerized as I was by personalization and custom paint fill...

So this new, magic 50.12 fits in nice next to a 54.08 and 60.04 pair of Vokeys. And based on these first rounds (to include two pitch-in birdies) I may actually have a foot placed in the more bounce camp.

I've read a couple of posts in various places about golfers who, when choosing an Edel, thought they were pickers (or another grind), and discovered that more bounce is needed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've read a couple of posts in various places about golfers who, when choosing an Edel, thought they were pickers (or another grind), and discovered that more bounce is needed.

Yes, one of those discussions is just a few comments above this one. Knowing my divots and doing just the static online fit, PKR seemed a good choice. Turns out that only applies to the LW range of lofts. Anyway... they sent me a PNR because they're good.

The PKR and PNR grinds are both 12* of bounce.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Yes, one of those discussions is just a few comments above this one. Knowing my divots and doing just the static online fit, PKR seemed a good choice. Turns out that only applies to the LW range of lofts. Anyway... they sent me a PNR because they're good.

The PKR and PNR grinds are both 12* of bounce.

Hope it works for you.

I'm convinced that none of us know if we are pickers, nippers, tuckers, trappers, drivers etc. because it all depends on the design of that particular club (their definition). As a result, fitting is a must.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know a good place to get fit in NC? I did the putter at Golf Galaxy in Cary but en I spoke to them about the wedges, while the guy was knowledgeable it seems they only have three grinds there to test.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

• Administrator
Anyone know a good place to get fit in NC? I did the putter at Golf Galaxy in Cary but en I spoke to them about the wedges, while the guy was knowledgeable it seems they only have three grinds there to test.

That seems bizarre.

Not all of the grinds are available in all of the wedge lofts, so maybe that's what they meant? They give out 60s for testing, though… or used to.

Wedges can be fit indoors, but they're much better fit outside off grass.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That seems bizarre.

Not all of the grinds are available in all of the wedge lofts, so maybe that's what they meant? They give out 60s for testing, though… or used to.

Wedges can be fit indoors, but they're much better fit outside off grass.

Yes he said it would be with a 60 and that you essentially hit that and based on the launch angle the fit you into the grind that has the bounce of the difference between your loft and launch angle. So If you hit the 60 with a 50 launch angle they fit you into whichever one is 10 degrees of bounce and then do some formula for the other lofts.

I don't think anyone in NC fits on grass. David Orr down at Campbell is listed on the website but when I contacted him about a putter fitting he said he no longer fit for Edel.

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

• Administrator

Yes he said it would be with a 60 and that you essentially hit that and based on the launch angle the fit you into the grind that has the bounce of the difference between your loft and launch angle. So If you hit the 60 with a 50 launch angle they fit you into whichever one is 10 degrees of bounce and then do some formula for the other lofts.

Yeah, that math has never really worked. It's really not a good way to fit at all.

You taking a trip to lovely Erie, PA any time soon? :) We have beautiful Presque Isle and, uhmmmmm, did I mention Presque Isle? And wineries?

I understand the if the retail stores carry "stock" wedges, Edel gives them 3 "stock" grinds.

That's without a fitting. Perhaps the retailer is not qualified to fit, or they do not understand you want a custom fitting. See if they have a fitting cart.

Yeah, that math has never really worked. It's really not a good way to fit at all.

You taking a trip to lovely Erie, PA any time soon? :) We have beautiful Presque Isle and, uhmmmmm, did I mention Presque Isle? And wineries?

I wish. :)

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Sounds good but the fitter may recommend different lofts.   I had 50, 52, 56, and 60 and the fitter came back with 50, 54, and 58 recommendation.   I dropped 50 in favor of carrying *both* 3h & 3w.  Now I have a slight bigger gap between PW and 50 which I may have to fix.

Made 50 to 48, and 54 to 53 to reduce distance gap between 50 and PW, and increase distance gap between 50, 54, and 58.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Bad A clubs. Something to look forward to when I get good enough that I think I deserve em.

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!