IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I like Phil's DVD and use some of his suggestions.

What Phil does on some shots and this post is from memory (so it may be faulty) - soft chips with a little air - is open the face and then squares up the club by opening the body, so the leading edge is pointed at the target.

I don't believe Phil has his hands extremely in front of the club face - so he can use the bounce - of course, the more your hands are in front of the club face, the less you will engage the bounce unless you flip.

Yes, that's my recollection of what Phil does, too, for those higher chips.

Is there a list of shafts that we can see before going in for the fitting? There's quite a few, so I'm assuming that the list of shafts probably crosses every brand/type imaginable.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Nice video, mvmac.

My first thought was that it looks like the technique Stan Utley advocates in his short game book.  I might give that technique a try as i'm struggling a bit with the 'hold' part of the mickelson technique that my pro taught me.

Originally Posted by Precis1on

Is there a list of shafts that we can see before going in for the fitting? There's quite a few, so I'm assuming that the list of shafts probably crosses every brand/type imaginable.

Yes every shaft you can imagine putting in a wedge.  I got the DG Spinners and Erik I think got KBS wedge shafts.

Originally Posted by GaryH

Nice video, mvmac.

My first thought was that it looks like the technique Stan Utley advocates in his short game book.  I might give that technique a try as i'm struggling a bit with the 'hold' part of the mickelson technique that my pro taught me.

Yes, Dave and Erik did a great job with it, similar to Utley from what I've seen of him on youtube.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yes every shaft you can imagine putting in a wedge.  I got the DG Spinners and Erik I think got KBS wedge shafts.

Good to hear. I'm gaming the WV115 and I hope to find something in a similar shaft profile.

I'm pretty pumped about the fitting. My wedges weren't really "fit" unlike my other clubs, so this will complete my set. Plus I think it's awesome to be a part of something that's very new and promising.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

• Administrator

If I remember I'll try to post a list of the shafts I have right now. Couple of people have fit into the Rifle 4.5 (oddly soft, but pretty good at controlling height without feeling boardy).

As Mike said, I have the KBS C-Taper S in mine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

If I remember I'll try to post a list of the shafts I have right now. Couple of people have fit into the Rifle 4.5 (oddly soft, but pretty good at controlling height without feeling boardy).

As Mike said, I have the KBS C-Taper S in mine.

I'm curious as to whether you have the KBS CT in your irons or have used them in irons before, and if you use the same flex through the set? I'm wondering if they'll play similar to Dynamic Gold in terms of flex, obviously with a lower launch and spin. And how do you like the CT in wedges, whether you use a softer flex than your irons or match them? I want to build a club or two with those shafts and wonder if using the same flex and model for the full set would work.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I'm curious as to whether you have the KBS CT in your irons or have used them in irons before, and if you use the same flex through the set? I'm wondering if they'll play similar to Dynamic Gold in terms of flex, obviously with a lower launch and spin. And how do you like the CT in wedges, whether you use a softer flex than your irons or match them? I want to build a club or two with those shafts and wonder if using the same flex and model for the full set would work.

I think going with the same flex is fine but I like the idea of going with a 1/2-full flex softer for the wedges.  I know pros do the same, will go with S-400 or S-300 shafts in their wedges.  Erik plays X flex in his irons.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I'm curious as to whether you have the KBS CT in your irons or have used them in irons before, and if you use the same flex through the set?

I don't.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by VMAN

that's a whole lot of bounce, but a lot of grind as well...interesting.

I have a 56 with 12 but rarely play except out of the bunkers.  I'd love to see a shot of the clubs on with the soles on a flat surface as a reference.

56 with 20 degrees of bounce off a green

Mike McLoughlin

Wicked shades!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

If the heads green keeper caught us doing that, he'd really have Carl Spackler killing all the golfers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Is it a good idea to have one low bounce wedge in your set to get the ball out of bunkers where the sand is hard and compact?  I live in England - it rains a lot!

I just picked up my 50 and 54 degree wedges an hour ago..(see my avatar for one of them.  )  [SIZE=11pt][COLOR=1F497D][FONT=calibri][FONT=calibri]54 with 16 degrees of bounce  and 50 with 12 degrees of bounce.... both Driver grinds.  I will order the next one shortly once I decide whether I want a 58 or 60 degree wedge.[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just finished a member/invitational at a course where the greens were stimping at 14 feet 10 inches. My wedges were a life saver in getting the ball to hold the greens. I hit some shots I never hit before. (of course, once on the greens, putting was a nightmare. I have never been so mentally fatigued as I was after 3 days of greens that speed)

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Got my fitting Friday for a 50, 56, 60 wedges in the nipper category with the Nippon WV125 shaft. Will post pics and overall experience when the wedges come in.

Got my fitting Friday for a 50, 56, 60 wedges in the nipper category with the Nippon WV125 shaft. Will post pics and overall experience when the wedges come in.

Good to hear.  Around how much bounce is on the nippers? 10 degrees?

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!