IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mvmac

Good to hear.  Around how much bounce is on the nippers? 10 degrees?

I think the set ranges from about 8 to 13 degrees of bounce. I got to pitch them off of the green which was fun to do and a good marker that the bounce was just right for me.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking wedges. Clean, simple, sleek.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm getting fit for mine on June 8th, along with a putter.  With buying the putter, I can only afford to get one of them at the current time, so I think I'm going to get a 53 or 54 degree to start out with.

Mine came in today, was slightly disappointed on the quality of the paint job. I'm surprised that they let this through QA.

photo.JPG

Nothing that some light acetone and finger rubbing couldn't fix:

photo1.JPG

The set itself looks great though, review to come!

photo2.JPG

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

• Administrator

I think they sometimes ship wedges before the paint has fully dried. I'll tell them about this - it's the second such time we've seen this kind of thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really want to try wedges with more bounce. The more I experiment with it, the more bounce I want. Being able to use the bounce without leaning the handle as far back sounds appealing. Also that you can open the clubface without lifting the leading edge too far off the ground.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by iacas

I think they sometimes ship wedges before the paint has fully dried. I'll tell them about this - it's the second such time we've seen this kind of thing.

The wings on my 56 were a little smudged as well, will have to clean it up later. Thanks for passing the word along!

Nice wedges Precis1on!  Thanks for sharing photos.  Can you take some at address - so that we can see how they look from the top line?

56 Degree Wedge. Neutral setup on left, face open on right.

photo3.JPG photo4.JPG

• Upvote 1

Looks like 17 grooves across the face?  Did I count that correctly?  Looks like Edel is placing the grooves far out onto the toe too.  Pretty nice design IMO.  Did they comment any on why 17 grooves?  Or why they take the grooves so far out onto the toe?

Just curious... I've recently watched an interview with Roger Cleveland from Callaway - and he said increasing the number of grooves can tremendously increase your spin rate with a wedge.  A big reason why Callaway has 21 grooves on their wedges.

grooves-faces.jpg

I've carried Vokey's for years, currently gaming the SM4's, but always interested in learning more about the philosophies that go into making a wedge better.  I do love the way Edel is introducing high bounce options in their fitting process... That makes a lot of sense to me.  And it doesn't hurt that they look sweeeet!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Well, all you guys (along with these sweet pics) have convinced me that I need these wedges (and the putter).

I tried to convince myself for a couple months, but finally gave in.

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis1on View Post

The wings on my 56 were a little smudged as well, will have to clean it up later. Thanks for passing the word along!

The main guy at Edel said this in response:

Quote:
I will let [the person in charge of this] know, this is the first I have heard of this. We had a problem with putters and the humidity in the shop. We now let the putters sit in front of a fan for 3 hours before shafting them so they will be completely dry. We will do the same for Wedges. Gotta Love TX Humidity :)

So there you go. You have a problem, Edel changes the way they do things. Thanks for mentioning it - I (and they) appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I've carried Vokey's for years, currently gaming the SM4's, but always interested in learning more about the philosophies that go into making a wedge better.  I do love the way Edel is introducing high bounce options in their fitting process... That makes a lot of sense to me.  And it doesn't hurt that they look sweeeet!

Dave and I were hitting pitch shots to a green that sloped away from us, with a tier, and a hole cut just below the tier. You basically needed to fly the ball six or eight feet, have it land with nearly dead weight, and barely reach the tier so it could fall down the tier and snuggle close to the hole.

Oh, did I mention that we were hitting these shots off hard dirt?

We had a 60 degree wedge with 22 degrees of bounce and a 54 degree club with 17 degrees of bounce, and even between THOSE two you could tell the difference. Instinctively we flipped a little bit more with the 54 and hit two terrible shots each - slightly thin, bladed shots that stopped 20 feet from the hole.

Each of our shots with the 60 popped up nicely. They finished one and two feet away from the hole. Dave hit the 60 first, then the 54 x 2. I hit the 54 x 2 and then the 60. The difference between those two clubs, even, was incredible (17 degrees is still a good amount of bounce for a normal shot with a ball on some grass - this was extreme).

Good luck playing the shot another way (you couldn't putt because there was 4' of rough between the ball and the fringe).

It explains to me why I used to almost never use my 60 degree wedge. It had 4 to 8 degrees of bounce, while my 54 has always had 12-14. Now, with 22 and 17, I use the 60 fairly often. It doesn't dig on fuller shots from the fairway, it goes lower because I don't have to flip to expose the bounce, etc. It's now a great club, where before, I almost avoided it unless I absolutely had to get the ball up in the air fast.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik,

Can you post a picture of the 60.22?  I would love to see it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
Originally Posted by boogielicious

Can you post a picture of the 60.22?  I would love to see it.

It's the 3 wedge.

I've got a question and observation  about bounce.

I've always liked higher bounce wedges - I know low bounce wedges were the rage in the late 90's-early 00's. Roger Cleveland at Callaway, who started the 0 bounce craze then went to Callaway and his designs for the last 5-6 years have been higher bounce wedges. It's not unusual to see 13-14 degrees of stated bounce in a SW and 10 or more in a LW. Why did Roger change his approach to bounce?

And I've always thought stated bounce was over-rated. What do you think?

The reason I make that statement is that so much grinding is involved in wedges these days, bounce is more like "it's there when you need it, and out of the way when you don't." And then you see a narrow bounce surface at the front of some wedges, blunted versus a sharp leading edge, grinding at the heel and/or toe and trailing edge, camber, etc., and it is all too, too much for the average or above average golfer.

It's confusing out there.

For most of us, I assume fitting is a demo crap-shoot. One can put tape at the bottom of a wedge at the store and see where contact is made, but that does not tell the entire story. And then, there is the problem of people not knowing how to use a wedge. They might have their hands too far forward or back and getting inconsistent results.

I guess I am making the case for an exhaustive fitting like Edel. Of course, other OEMs like TItleist might have wedge fittings, but after having an Edel putter fitting, I will make the statement that no one is more thorough in a fitting than Edel.

I like to have enough bounce for versatility in the higher lofts so my wedges glide and do not get stuck in the ground while being able to open them up, setting the shaft back, forward, getting my hands lower, higher, etc.

My recent story with wedges is that I went with Miura after I almost died last year. Before death, I wanted Miura 1957 Wedges. Golf is about my only hobby, besides writing, and I loved the dense, solid feel of Miura. The SW has 12 of stated bounce and the LW has 15.

When I began playing these wedges, I did not take to them right away - with the posts here, thanks Erik, Mike and other members, I've learned to use these higher bounce wedges even on very tight lies. But still, I was inconsistent with contact - some partial shots took a nice glide with the bounce, and the others "caught" and gave me a lower and inconsistent trajectory.

In the meantime, I bought a Vokey SM4 with 60-10 - an M Grind. I tested it against the Miura, and the Vokey had the club gliding smoothly with the bounce and leading edge doing its job - it was almost effortless. Still, it was 10 of bounce as opposed to the Miura 15.

So with the Miura, I moved my hands so they were more or less even with the club head, and I received a more consistent glide with the bounce. I did the same with the Miura SW and get a nice glide and consistent shot flight and pattern.

Okay - so I've concluded that bounce is part of the story - it's the amount, where the bounce is located and where it is lessened (ground off). In addition to camber and whether the leading edge is blunted (I've concluded that sharp is for pickers, blunted for other swings).

That's my story. Moral of the story is that there are so many variables involved in selecting the right wedges - unless you enjoy buying the wrong wedges or maybe getting lucky, get fit and take the guessing out of your wedge game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!