IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for some great wedges, but the price of any good wedge is almost as much as a driver! Of course the short game is the one you should invest in. I am looking for some used EDEL wedges. I live about a hundred miles from any given golf course, so needless to say I have a separate set of clubs for practice (rocky soil). I rarely get to the range (gas is too dang much!) but I need some decent wedges since I am wearing out my practice wedge on the extremely rocky soil of my homemade golf course.

If you know of anyone selling their used EDEL wedges let me know!!!! I can get them fitted myself so that isn't a concern. Thanks!

• Administrator

$130-140 or so versus $300 to $500? A set of three Edel Wedges runs $495 or so via Golf Evolution, including the fitting and the usual customization, etc. So maybe you meant a set?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

haha that's why I've never bought a brand new driver, I ment the set. im a federal employee which means I do the same work as private sector for half the salary haha. What would a used set of these wedges go for?

Originally Posted by Apolyon Rising

If you know of anyone selling their used EDEL wedges let me know!!!! I can get them fitted myself so that isn't a concern. Thanks!

How are you going to fit the grind?

Change your swing?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

haha that's why I've never bought a brand new driver, I ment the set. im a federal employee which means I do the same work as private sector for half the salary haha. What would a used set of these wedges go for?

I'd imagine you'd be hard-pressed to even find used Edel wedges. And if you did, they'd be stamped with someone else's name and have an ill-fitting grind and bounce value for you.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm not specific to EDEL, i was just refencing EDEL since this an EDEL thread. Fitting is done from my understanding by measuring the length of your arms to the ground. I'm not sure what grind or bounce I want. So EDEL is probably be the last brand I want if I have to custom order. I would rather take the guess work out and buy some clevelands. I would not know what to buy when buying customs. I can beat most people with wal-mart wedges, I'm just trying to take my game to the next level without teachers or coaches. These EDELs look cool, I don't care about putting a name custom, so for the right price if they are the right clubs for me I won't really care who's name is on them if I dont have to empty my bank account to buy them haha.

Originally Posted by Apolyon Rising

I'm not specific to EDEL, i was just refencing EDEL since this an EDEL thread. Fitting is done from my understanding by measuring the length of your arms to the ground. I'm not sure what grind or bounce I want. So EDEL is probably be the last brand I want if I have to custom order. I would rather take the guess work out and buy some clevelands. I would not know what to buy when buying customs. I can beat most people with wal-mart wedges, I'm just trying to take my game to the next level without teachers or coaches. These EDELs look cool, I don't care about putting a name custom, so for the right price if they are the right clubs for me I won't really care who's name is on them if I dont have to empty my bank account to buy them haha.

Edel fittings are much more comprehensive than that.  It's not just length and lie, its also which grind you need and the amount of bounce you need based on your swing.  And I don't think that you even are able to buy them without the fitting, so if its not about cost, they should be the FIRST brand you want if you want to custom order.  Further, if you just "buy some clevelands" you aren't taking the guesswork out.

But, yes, they are pricey, which is part of the reason I don't own any. :)

Yeah I know what you guys mean, maybe someday I will get some new custom wedges. I don't really know where I would get fitted for them, just any pro shop?

Thanks for the feedback!

After reading the full thread, I'll definitely give Edel a serious look as soon as a fitter is within 100 miles of Jacksonville, FL.

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

After reading the full thread, I'll definitely give Edel a serious look as soon as a fitter is within 100 miles of Jacksonville, FL.

They have some in and around Orlando.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 3 months later...

I just received my 56 and 60 degree Edel wedges today. They are "driver" grinds and are bent 2* flat. I haven't played a round with them yet, but I did go to the practice area tonight to try them out. I was surprised how well the 60* worked on short pitches and chips. With my other wedges, I used the 60* sparingly because it didn't seem give me much room for error. I have a feeling that may change. It was great being able to hit a delicate chip with the Edel 60* and have it check a bit and gently roll out... I'll update once I have a dozen or so rounds with them.

Nice!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
I just received my 56 and 60 degree Edel wedges today. They are "driver" grinds and are bent 2* flat. I haven't played a round with them yet, but I did go to the practice area tonight to try them out. I was surprised how well the 60* worked on short pitches and chips. With my other wedges, I used the 60* sparingly because it didn't seem give me much room for error. I have a feeling that may change. It was great being able to hit a delicate chip with the Edel 60* and have it check a bit and gently roll out... I'll update once I have a dozen or so rounds with them.

Well, I've played 6 rounds with the wedges and have numerous practice sessions with them. I figured I'd give one last update on my experience with them... Most of my shots with these clubs have been partial shots (from 80 yards, simple chips, and all distances in-between). I can say that I LOVE them for these shots. They really do seem do produce more spin, which I've had to adjust for. Even on little chip shots, I've had to somewhat recalibrate my feel to allow for more of a check-up on the initial landing. I'm more of a land it quickly and let it roll out type of chipper, but really appreciate the added control to the shorter chips. Also, I've now been chipping with the 60* more often than I ever had. It just seems so easy to use around the green... The medium to very short pitches is where these clubs have given me much more confidence. I never used to pull my 60* wedge on a shot that I needed 12 yards to carry a bunker and stop quickly to a short-sided pin. I used to always use my 56* for that shot. Now, it's the 60*... Also, the longer pitches (I've adopted the Pelz idea of knowing your 7:30 and 9:30 swing distances) seem to be much more predictable. A good strike sends the ball on a nice arc and it checks up nicely. My misses on these shots with these clubs tends to flight the ball much lower and results in an immediate check-up, where the ball just hops once and stops. Those "mishits" have generally ended up being pretty darn good shots. Also, the 56* has worked very well out of bunkers. The one thing that I still need to work on is full wedge shots with these. For some reason, I haven't performed as well with full swings with these as I did with my Cleveland CG15 wedges. I'm not sure if it's my technique, or what... This has decreased my confidence in, let's say, a 95 yard shot, which used to be a perfect, 56* shot before. I tend to leave it short with my Edel 56*. The funny thing is, I tend do dig it in the ground more, despite the increased bounce. I suspect this is a mechanical (mental?) thing that I need to work on. Overall, I am extremely happy with the purchase! I'm one of those golf nuts that doesn't necessarily have an endless budget for new golf gear, but will spend some money on equipment that I've researched and believe will help my game. I am convinced that these wedges will better my game from 80 yards and in. I now need to practice the full 56* shot to become more competent at the 95 to 100 yard shot. I hope this helps anyone considering looking into Edel wedges...

• 4 weeks later...

As suggest that more bounce is good, and manys will adjust the swing to suit the club of lower bounce which is not good.  Then should we order the high bounce "driver" type and change the swing for the high bounce club?  I.e. then why go through fitting with your current swing and end up a lower bounce club?

I also saw some manufacture provides club with a rounding sole from back to the leading edge, will that provide bounce easily at square position?  What's good about it?

• Administrator
As suggest that more bounce is good, and manys will adjust the swing to suit the club of lower bounce which is not good.  Then should we order the high bounce "driver" type and change the swing for the high bounce club?  I.e. then why go through fitting with your current swing and end up a lower bounce club?

The fitting process doesn't quite work that way. People will fit into the swing that's natural to them. Sometimes that's a medium bounce wedge. You don't have to swing down sharply (i.e. a swing that would work best with a lot of bounce) with your full swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Custom fitting your clubs is important if you want to get the most out of your game. I haven't custom fit my putter or wedges yet, but Edel, Hopkins and other custom wedge companies are certainly making a case.  I currently use "of the rack" Vokeys and feel pretty proficient.  I do have to confess that I don't know much about bounce and thus choosing a grind type would be difficult. The Edel method says they recommend grinds based on your swing style - angle of attack and such.  The Hopkins website recommends sole grinds based on your typical playing conditions.  Which is correct?  I've always been told the course conditions dictate what type of sole / how much bounce you need.  So, if I get fitted for my playing conditions of my home course and then go out of town, am I screwed if the bunkers and rough are deeper and softer, and the fairways aren't as tight?  Titleist and Cleveland sell lots of wedges and plenty of low handicap golfers have them in their bags.  I'm just wondering if a sandwedge is that complicated of a club...?

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

• 6 months later...

I can't wait to get my hands on a set of these wedges.  I just signed up for a fitting on Monday.  Hopefully I will get my new wedges before my April 27th trip to Florida.

I will let everyone know what I think and provide pictures when they come in.

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!