IGNORED

Can you play a round of golf with 5 people?

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

There are a lot of courses nowadays that allow it.  Just call them up and ask.

There aren't any around here, unless you count a mid-morning weekday during the Seniors or Ladie's league.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Depends on the area.

In southern California, it seem 5-some is the norm.

In Colorado, forget it--at least in all the course that I play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ther's nothing in the rules to prevent it. It depends on the course management. Unlikely at members clubs or busy courses or busy times.

Is there anything in the rules about wearing cutoff denim short shorts and flip flops?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In So Cal 5-somes are common for municipal courses.  Private clubs and the nicer courses in the area still prefer 4, but will sometimes allow it in certain cases (tournaments, etc.).

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by Yukari

Depends on the area.

In southern California, it seem 5-some is the norm.

In Colorado, forget it--at least in all the course that I play.

Foothills allows it under certain conditions.  All players must be riding (5 players, 3 carts, 2 - 2 - 1) and the group commits to keeping pace or they will be split up.  I've played fivesomes in under 4 hours, playing 100% by the rules of golf.  It's not rocket science, but there are many who would debate the point.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On Sunday mornings we used to play 8 somes. We called it a gang-some. Thing was, it was rapid fire. It was possible to have 2 balls in the air at the same time. We could still make it around in 4 hours so nobody complained.

Michael

Originally Posted by mchepp

On Sunday mornings we used to play 8 somes. We called it a gang-some. Thing was, it was rapid fire. It was possible to have 2 balls in the air at the same time. We could still make it around in 4 hours so nobody complained.

That hardly sounds like golf. Or fun.

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchepp

That hardly sounds like golf. Or fun.

It sounds like BS.

I don't really see the problem with a 5some.

Surely, whether there's a 5some, or a 3 followed by a 2 the time taken will be very similar (as long as you play ready golf) - there's still the same number of people taking shots...

Originally Posted by keeps21

Surely, whether there's a 5some, or a 3 followed by a 2 the time taken will be very similar (as long as you play ready golf) - there's still the same number of people taking shots...

Same number of people taking shots does not always add up though.  I would argue a five some would take less time as you do not have three people teeing off, and then forcing groups behind to watch for 4-5 minutes, or longer if the group ahead is walking.

I would prefer a course allow a five some before they allow a twosome on a busy day.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

Originally Posted by keeps21

Look at it like this.  If you were in a two or three player group, wouldn't you rather follow a 2 small groups than one large one?  Two players will clear the fairway and clear the green noticeably faster than 5 players.  And I'm talking about real golf, not just an 8 man free for all like mentioned above.  It's a matter of taking turns.  With a twosome following a twosome and a threesome, the last group only has to wait at most for the third player to finish before they clear the green.  If those two front groups were  playing as a fivesome, then you have to wait for two more players to putt out.  It's going to make your round drag.  And too, most fivesomes I've ever seen don't play in anywhere near 4 hours - more like 5 to 5.5 hours even when all are riding.   If they are all walking it's even slower. (Walkers don't start - I worked for 5 years as a starter and I've played for 40 years - I know what I'm talking about) You need a group of aware players who are used to playing together in such a group to even come close.   Ready golf and continuous putting are a necessity.  I've followed too many threesomes and foursomes who fail to comprehend those concepts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Maybe there is some discrepancy on clubs vs munis here.  My local club would never allow a 5some.  That said, if there are five players starting ahead of me on the local municipal course, I would rather they all take off together rather than in two groups.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

Originally Posted by romphill

Maybe there is some discrepancy on clubs vs munis here.  My local club would never allow a 5some.  That said, if there are five players starting ahead of me on the local municipal course, I would rather they all take off together rather than in two groups.

Why is there any difference?

Originally Posted by romphill

I played with a few people who say they can play quickly in a group of 5. Sure they can, but compared to what?  A group of 5 is slower than the same players split into a group of 3 followed by a group of 2.  If people can't get around faster as a 3some and twosome than a fivesome, then they're doing something wrong. I'm not saying there can't be a group of 5 in carts getting around the course in decent time. What I am saying is they could play even faster split up. This is assuming they're not held up, but it's a lot easier to play through as a 3 or 2some. A group of 5 and probably hackers at that based on the OP? No way - they better be prepared to let groups through all day. If people think 5 players is the way to go at their course, please post the name of the course so i know never to play there.

Note: This thread is 4354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!