IGNORED

iron maintenance

Note: This thread is 4348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey guys, i just got a new set of irons, and was wondering how you guys clean your irons?  I have only played them once, but i want to make sure that i keep them in good shape.  Have to keep these ( ) nicer than my old ones ( ) lol  Anything would be helpful! thanks guys!

Congratulations on the new purchase you're gonna want to keep them nice and shiny.  I have toothpicks in my bag that I use to clean the groves out after each shot.  Some people carry around a wet towel as well that they use to wash their clubs after every shot. Outside of that when it is a real nice hot day out and I am too tired to golf I sit down and wash them with a bucket of water and soap.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

okay, i figured water and soap would work for after a round. and i use a brush and towel on course :D just wanted to make sure i did everything in my power to keep these bad boys shiny :D

once a year i get out the polishing compound and hit to the work-bench buffing wheel and do my blades :) they look dang purdy after i'm done...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Damp towel and a Frogger brush on the course.  After the round I'll take them to the kitchen and scrub each head under hot water with a dab of dish soap on a nylon brush.  Wipe dry, then wipe the grips with a slightly damp cloth before putting them away.

I tend to be anal with keeping my tools clean, whether it's my clubs, or my Snap-On and Mac tools in my shop.

If you really want to keep them nice and shiny. Get some iron club covers. I don't want my new irons getting all scratched banging around in the bag.

These are what I have here: http://www.amazon.com/Face-Saver-Plus-Covers-Izzo/dp/B0048I48BM

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

once a year i get out the polishing compound and hit to the work-bench buffing wheel and do my blades :) they look dang purdy after i'm done...

Ya i plan on using some semi chrome or similar on them every once and awhile

I carry a small brass wire brush to clean the grooves. I don't use covers on irons. Best, IMO, to avoid feelings of 'possessiveness' towards clubs and esp. golf balls. They are only temporary tools on the  path to personal glory. Don't worry about appearance but rather function and mostly performance.  Spend more time learning to re-grip once/twice per year as maintenance measure.  Nicked or not, no one will pay much for your used clubs 6 yrs from now so use them, don't treasure them.

Originally Posted by Motley01

If you really want to keep them nice and shiny. Get some iron club covers. I don't want my new irons getting all scratched banging around in the bag.

These are what I have here: http://www.amazon.com/Face-Saver-Plus-Covers-Izzo/dp/B0048I48BM

LOL!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Ya i know they will get scratched and what not.  I mean you swing them at a ball that is on the ground, pretty hard to not get a ding here and there lol but i also like the look of a nice clean club :D and im definitely not buying those iron covers.  that would be too annoying to take off and on  all the time lol

I'm not ashamed to say I use face savers. I only use them for storing and transporting my clubs to the course. When I get to the course I pull them all off.

Originally Posted by Danny H

I'm not ashamed to say I use face savers. I only use them for storing and transporting my clubs to the course. When I get to the course I pull them all off.

Well that makes sense.  to each their own i guess :D

That makes less sense than using them during rounds. Do you drive cross country . . . on a dirt bike?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That makes less sense than using them during rounds. Do you drive cross country . . . on a dirt bike?

Nope, but I do have a 4 year old who will get to my clubs every chance I look away. Why are face savers such a big deal anyway? I don't see any negatives except slowing down play a little if you use them on the course.

Gotta love Cobra's clubs! After I play, I soak my irons in a bucket of warm water and dishsoap (the water should be no higher than there the shaft connects to the club) and let them sit. I let them sit for as long as it takes me to clean my 3 woods (rinse them all under warm water and scrub dirt away with a stiff tooth brush). The I take the irons and scrub the grooves with the toothbrush using some soap bubbles from the bucket along with the rest of the club face. Get into every crevice you can. Then dry the club and put it in your bag. Clean the cleanest ones first and let the dirtiest ones be the last clubs you clean. During play though, you can just use a brush and towel to keep the grooves clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Nope, but I do have a 4 year old who will get to my clubs every chance I look away. Why are face savers such a big deal anyway? I don't see any negatives except slowing down play a little if you use them on the course.

RE: "face savers"? They protect the backs from bag chatter. Are your irons made of soft aluminum or Waterford crystal?

Originally Posted by ajst22

Gotta love Cobra's clubs! After I play, I soak my irons in a bucket of warm water and dishsoap (the water should be no higher than there the shaft connects to the club) and let them sit. I let them sit for as long as it takes me to clean my 3 woods (rinse them all under warm water and scrub dirt away with a stiff tooth brush). The I take the irons and scrub the grooves with the toothbrush using some soap bubbles from the bucket along with the rest of the club face. Get into every crevice you can. Then dry the club and put it in your bag. Clean the cleanest ones first and let the dirtiest ones be the last clubs you clean. During play though, you can just use a brush and towel to keep the grooves clean.

And ajs22 - how dirty do your clubs get between wiping them down after every shot and the deep soapy clean . . . after every round . . .

I think some guys see playing golf as a reason to wash things. Personally I do enough chores around the house and wiping them off with a damp towel post-shot seems to suffice. I last felt the need to "wash" my clubs in 2010.

Seriously I don't see the problem using face savers. Yes they DO get totally scratched and banged up. My last set of irons I had for 3 years, and they still looked brand new. Heck I sold them on ebay for $400 (brand new was $800). Only because I wanted a new iron set this year. If they were all scratched up, they would be worth less than half that.

The ones I have (in that link), they are attached in twos, with a rubber string. So I can pull off one, and it's still attached to another club, so it just dangles there.

And removing them is very fast and easy. It doesn't slow down my play at all. I always ride in a cart. too.

Don't hate on iron covers. Why do you have covers on your driver and 3 wood? Does it slow down play when you remove them? Do you want your driver scratched up?

No? OK same idea with the irons. I really don't see any difference in wood covers with iron covers.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

Seriously I don't see the problem using face savers. Yes they DO get totally scratched and banged up. My last set of irons I had for 3 years, and they still looked brand new. Heck I sold them on ebay for $400 (brand new was $800). Only because I wanted a new iron set this year. If they were all scratched up, they would be worth less than half that.

The ones I have (in that link), they are attached in twos, with a rubber string. So I can pull off one, and it's still attached to another club, so it just dangles there.

And removing them is very fast and easy. It doesn't slow down my play at all. I always ride in a cart. too.

Don't hate on iron covers. Why do you have covers on your driver and 3 wood? Does it slow down play when you remove them? Do you want your driver scratched up?

No? OK same idea with the irons. I really don't see any difference in wood covers with iron covers.

Im not hating on iron covers, but do you hit irons or your driver more often?  so youre taking your driver cover off maybe 15 times a round? how many times will you take off your iron covers? and for me, i plan on keeping my clubs for 5+ years, so im not worried about resale on a $400 set of irons.

Note: This thread is 4348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!