IGNORED

Is 39 Too Old?

pipergsm
Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

because that's exactly what you said.. you said if you had to learn from scratch at 30, you'd have quit.  and, from someone what started at 37, i believe you are wrong.  and also making it out seem like 39 is much older than it really is.

There's a lot of things I don't like believing either because they are discouraging. Unfortunately that doesn't make them any less true. People start to decline physically at ~26.

There's a lot of things I don't like believing either because they are discouraging. Unfortunately that doesn't make them any less true. People start to decline physically at ~26.

Decline physically after 26 yes, but I was doing one finger pull ups on cliff faces at that age. I climbed at the 5.13c level at my peak. No way can I do anything above a 5.10a climb now, no matter how much weight I lose. Can't even do more than 50 pull ups in a day. However, I thought we are talking about golf, here. Most folks have the physical build to hit far enough. I think it is more flexibility than strength. People can continue to get flexible, even at my age.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TomThurston

if you want to find people to learn with that are of the same ability and same age then go to golffink for this. this site is the facebook equivalent for golfers. you can do a whole range of thigs on this from from meeting new people to looking for new and exclusive courses.

Is that what he was looking for?

Is that what he was looking for?

Thanks for asking. I was not clear of the intent of my statements. Most of us were not into golf at 26, and we usually start at a later age. I would guess that at least a few of the low handicappers started later in life. If the OP has natural talent at golf, he can realize it at 39 or even 49. Of course, the are many sports at he can't start at 39 and get good. He asked about golf, and not other sports. Going professional is maybe a 1 in a million chance, but if he has the talent, he has it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Thanks for asking. I was not clear of the intent of my statements.

Most of us were not into golf at 26, and we usually start at a later age. I would guess that at least a few of the low handicappers started later in life.

If the OP has natural talent at golf, he can realize it at 39 or even 49. Of course, the are many sports at he can't start at 39 and get good.

He asked about golf, and not other sports.

Going professional is maybe a 1 in a million chance, but if he has the talent, he has it.

I was responding to a post suggesting a specific website to find local playing partners. If he wants to test his mettle he should enter tournaments, not play casual rounds with similarly skilled people found via the internet.

Originally Posted by Williamevanl

yes, but that doesn't take into account your peak.  you can still peak in your 40's if you weren't peaking at 26.    there's countless stories of people talking about how they're in the best shape they've ever been in their 40's.  furthermore with the health care and diet information we have now, there's no reason to think that that decline can't be a very, very low slope.  to say otherwise is essentially giving up...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

yes, but that doesn't take into account your peak.  you can still peak in your 40's if you weren't peaking at 26.    there's countless stories of people talking about how they're in the best shape they've ever been in their 40's.  furthermore with the health care and diet information we have now, there's no reason to think that that decline can't be a very, very low slope.  to say otherwise is essentially giving up...

don't forget, we're talking about GOLF, not a triathlon.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Interesting because I didn't start to fully commit to this sport till I was 39. Since my early 20's I would only play once a year at best. I'm 40 now and admittedly I'm starting to feel a little worn. I consider myself pretty fit and athletic compared to most of my peers my age. I still have most of my six pack and many mistake me for being in my early thirties. Initially I was hitting 300 balls a day, getting in 2 rounds a week. Within the last year it has taken its toll....and feel back pain, tendonitis, and arthritis... Some of it from wanting to hit the ball a country mile, some from years of working with my hands. Most of these pains came this year so maybe I can blame golf. I would recommend taking it easy but see no problem doing well in this sport if you fully commit learning, training and humble self awareness...

don't forget, we're talking about GOLF, not a triathlon.

Even some people start triathlons at 40. Iron man is a different story, but might be one or two? Golf just seems like a sport you can enjoy for life.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Depends on who you ask. What people believe, dream and are able to you never know until you give it all. 39 years old hitting it here, + handicap. work I did with him 4 hours over 2 days this last sunday/monday. first two swings are day one. the last two swings at the end of day 2. spot the difference. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5hoai-byg[/VIDEO] And here is me hitting a hybrid, just plain cold here atm. oh I am 48 years old. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwm7HxniZ8[/VIDEO]

Robert Something

• 8 years later...
On 5/20/2012 at 6:12 AM, pipergsm said:

Hi everyone,

I'm 39 years old and started learning the game very recently.

I've always been good at technical sports and I'm in good fysical shape.

despite my age and the fact that I'm basically teaching myself how to play (video-instructions, research on the internet), I have the feeling I'm advancing rather quickly (I do intend to contact a pro-teacher though, but living in thailand where many people dont speak decent english doesn't make it easy).

My first few real games (I've only played 5 so far) were very disappointing in the sense that I seemed to be unable to transfer the results from the driving range to the course. I guess that's a matter of game-practice.

I'm quite sure that, once I manage to make this transfer successfully, I should be able to play a 1 digit handicap, maybe even par (on a relatively easy course that is!)

I'd like to know if there are people with similar experiences and what the general/realistic expectations are for someone starting to play the game at such a late age (since most people seem to start very young).

All reactions are welcome!

I am curious to find out how you are doing now. You must be 48 now. at 38 y I'm now considering playing golf but the idea of becoming a pro has pretty much gone out the window.

8 minutes ago, Lisanda said:

I am curious to find out how you are doing now. You must be 48 now. at 38 y I'm now considering playing golf but the idea of becoming a pro has pretty much gone out the window.

Welcome to The Sand Trap!  I'm afraid you're unlikely to get much response, @pipergsm hasn't been around since 2013.  But there are lots and lots of other threads, please contribute wherever you feel the interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to Is 39 Too Old?

39 is not too old. I took a 20 yr layoff and didn't restart till I was in my 60's.  I am nowhere near as consistent as I once was, but on my good days I can still drive it with, and even past the young guys.  My putting has been horrendous, but my chipping and pitching are as good or better than they were when I was a scratch player years ago. I'll never be below a 5 again. Probably never be a single digit again, because on bad days I am freaking awful and they serve to keep my handicap well entrenched in the upper teens. I feel like a sandbagger when someone catches me on a good day. LOL

• Like 1

On 5/19/2012 at 9:12 PM, pipergsm said:

I'd like to know if there are people with similar experiences and what the general/realistic expectations are for someone starting to play the game at such a late age (since most people seem to start very young).

Because I served onboard a submarine for 20 years shortly after high school, I didn't take up golf until late in life at age 38.  I'm 70 now and have been playing pretty regular since taking the game up.  It took time and some lessons, but I became a single digit handicap player and remain one to this day.  While I've never shot par or better, I've come within 1 shot of doing so with 73 on 2 occasions.  It's funny now, because when I come home and my wife asks me how I played and I grouse with a remark about shooting 82, she just laughs at me and reminds me that she remembers when I couldn't break 100.  So, in answer to your query, yes, it's realistic to expect to be able to play good golf starting later in life.  Like any other skill, it takes time, practice, and guidance.  Good luck!!

Edit:  just realized how old this thread was....nebber mind 🙂

Edited by Never3putt
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know “ Ancient Thread” but I have to believe 39 is not too old the get good at this game. Turn pro on any tour? NO, or at least “Highly unlikely”. 

however at 59 looking to 60 I have to believe I can get better.

I enjoy the game and my friends but the hope of shooting a personal best will always keep me going.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I know “ Ancient Thread” but I have to believe 39 is not too old the get good at this game. Turn pro on any tour? NO, or at least “Highly unlikely”. 

however at 59 looking to 60 I have to believe I can get better.

I enjoy the game and my friends but the hope of shooting a personal best will always keep me going.

You can definitely get better in your 60s.  I believe that I played some of my best and most consistent golf in my 60s.  We just had our Club Championship and a friend who is over 65 just won the Regular Men's flight, competing with the younger guys without a problem.  Of course, he's shot his age a number of times and carries a +2 handicap....age hasn't slowed him down yet, at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!