IGNORED

Feherty Packing Heat

xmanhockey7
Note: This thread is 3793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As someone who loves golf and is big into guns I find it pretty cool that David Feherty has a carry permit. I've heard it reference it a couple times but wasn't sure if he was serious or not. Based on this interview in March of 2010 he was. Feherty is just awesome!

Quote:

CONNELL BARRETT: Congratulations on being an American, David. Have you packed on the pounds and started listening to Toby Keith yet?

DAVID FEHERTY: Have you seen me lately? I'm already fat. But now, I'm a fat American.

CB: How did you celebrate last week?

DF: I'm very passionate about veterans issues. I'm involved with the Troops First Foundation. After the swearing in, 9 or 10 soldiers came down from Walter Reed and we went on a boys' trip, to partake in the great American pastime of shooting and blowing up stuff. It was a hunting trip at Rough Creek Lodge, southeast of Dallas [where Feherty lives]. You can do bird-hunting and deer-hunting. It was a 10-bedroom house. We had nine soldiers, but they take up less space because they're amputees. They're very portable. You can stack them.

CB: What was your first thought after you took the Pledge and it was official?

DF: I thought, "Where can I buy a .45 Automatic Colt Pistol?"

CB: Really?

DF: Oh yeah. I'm filing for a concealed-carry permit as soon as possible. This is Texas. A law-abiding citizen with a concealed weapon who respects guns can be a very useful person, with all these shootings around the country. If I'm out with my wife and daughter, or hear a bump in the night, I'll be ready. When I dial 9-1-1, I only need them to come and do clean up.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2466073/posts

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Originally Posted by xmanhockey7

As someone who loves golf and is big into guns I find it pretty cool that David Feherty has a carry permit. I've heard it reference it a couple times but wasn't sure if he was serious or not. Based on this interview in March of 2010 he was. Feherty is just awesome!

Good grief!!!!!

How the hell is it "cool"?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Good grief!!!!!

Because it's Feherty. That's the best way I can describe it.

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Because it's Feherty. That's the best way I can describe it.

I can think of nothing more uncool than people walking aroung carrying guns.

And as far as Feherty goes, he's going in the direction of Gary McCord, where he's in danger of becomoing a parody of himself.

At his best, he's probably one of the most insightful and humorous commentators, but he's becoming too commercial and is a little too close to the players to maintain his objectivity, IMO.

And as far as Feherty goes, he's going in the direction of Gary McCord, where he's in danger of becomoing a parody of himself.

At his best, he's probably one of the most insightful and humorous commentators, but he's becoming too commercial and is a little too close to the players to maintain his objectivity, IMO.

I don't agree with carrying guns, but it's not our country mate.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

What one person thinks is cool another may not. For me carrying a gun is not necessarily cool I just think it's cool that Feherty, like millions of other american's, lawfully carries. I'd love to go to the shooting range with Feherty especially looking at the fact he no longer drinks and from what I can tell doesn't play golf anymore either.

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

I don't agree with carrying guns, but it's not our country mate.

And not our gun related death statistics either, thankfully.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Feherty just comes across badly in your quote. Otherwise, what a prat.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

Hopefully Feherty just comes across badly in your quote. Otherwise, what a prat.

Yeah what type of horrible person would want to defend themselves and their family?

• Upvote 3

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Good grief!!!!!

Because it's Texas or anywhere in the Southwest, South, and Southeast.

And they talk guns and wear guns.

Didn't you hear? Some people want to take us back to the 19th century - and they're succeeding in many parts of the country. Next, they take away the right to vote for many people.... but crap, they're already doing that. See?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Because it's Texas or anywhere in the Southwest, South, and Southeast.

And they talk guns and wear guns.

Didn't you hear? Some people want to take us back to the 19th century - and they're succeeding in many parts of the country. Next, they take away the right to vote for many people.... but crap, they're already doing that. See?

So by expanding the right to carry a gun in not just the southern parts of the country is going to take away people's right to vote? The state of Vermont has never had a law against carry a pistol openly or concealed without a permit and they're in a very liberal part of the country. Low crime rate too. Seems to be a lot of poor education on this threat when it comes to guns but it's a golf forum. This thread was not intended to be an argument about guns I was simply pointing out the fact I think it's cool Feherty is a gun owner/carrier.

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

There is only ONE state in the US that does not allow carrying a gun - Illinois.

I too, have no idea where Mr. Desmond was going with that comment...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

This frightens me knowing Feherty is packing heat. I have to say though, it explains why he's willing to live in Texas. If the state has any redeeming qualities, the Barbecue, Mexican food, and lots of guns can be on the list depending on one's views. There aren't a great deal more.

I don't hate guns but I think too many people carry them around to prove a point. That's very stupid since no one is perfectly in control all the time and if they have a lapse in judgement or lose their temper the gun is too easily accessed. The 2nd amendment is a principle that doesn't need to be kept on your belt all the time, even if you support it. It's a right that should be upheld in terms of being able to have weapons at home, not at the Dairy Queen. The one thing that keeps New York functional is that 99% of people you interact with don't have the ability to fatally shoot you on the spot.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

This frightens me knowing Feherty is packing heat. I have to say though, it explains why he's willing to live in Texas. If the state has any redeeming qualities, the Barbecue, Mexican food, and lots of guns can be on the list depending on one's views. There aren't a great deal more.

I don't hate guns but I think too many people carry them around to prove a point. That's very stupid since no one is perfectly in control all the time and if they have a lapse in judgement or lose their temper the gun is too easily accessed. The 2nd amendment is a principle that doesn't need to be kept on your belt all the time, even if you support it. It's a right that should be upheld in terms of being able to have weapons at home, not at the Dairy Queen. The one thing that keeps New York functional is that 99% of people you interact with don't have the ability to fatally shoot you on the spot.

Yeah I mean it seems 99% of the shootings in this country occur because people are lawfully carrying guns. Criminals are just such a small percentage of it. You seem to be in the group of people who, whenever a state switches to "shall issue", cries that there will be blood in the streets. Evidence please?  The state of Florida, which has issued over 2 million concealed carry permits since it adopted a `right-to-carry' law in 1987, has revoked just 6,400 permits (just 0.3 percent of the total issued permits) and just 168 concealed carry permits were revoked due to the use of a firearm in a crime (just 0.008 percent).

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

License to carry does not necessarily mean they wear a side holster and trot down the street.  My 78 year old mother, a Massachusetts liberal Democrat, has a carry permit.  She likes to go to the pistol range and target shoot with my brother, a card carrying NRA member and Massachusetts liberal Democrat.  They like to go to the range and my brother hunts.  Not all people who like to shoot are Ted Nugent nut jobs or paranoid sociopaths.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah I mean it seems 99% of the shootings in this country occur because people are lawfully carrying guns. Criminals are just such a small percentage of it. You seem to be in the group of people who, whenever a state switches to "shall issue", cries that there will be blood in the streets. Evidence please?  The state of Florida, which has issued over 2 million concealed carry permits since it adopted a `right-to-carry' law in 1987, has revoked just 6,400 permits (just 0.3 percent of the total issued permits) and just 168 concealed carry permits were revoked due to the use of a firearm in a crime (just 0.008 percent).

As much as I hate to go against what I'm sure is a very well-rehearsed tirade on gun permits, I don't think allowing a lot of people to have guns is going to help. I don't need to present evidence to back up an opinion, and I really don't give a crap about whatever statistics you can bring up. I'm talking about human life here, not numbers.

How about Trayvon Martin? His shooter was a wannabe cop who carried a gun, decided to be a vigilante and went after an innocent kid. Now, there's claims he got into a fistfight or whatever, but either way the two would both be alive if he hadn't had a gun. He had a gun because the laws are so lax; but they don't train you how to use them or check to see if you panic in a stressful situation. Irresponsible. If you have concealed carry, make it way more restrictive like only limited to police and law enforcement. Too many guys are wannabe special forces because they think tactical is cool, and carry a gun without having the balls to do the service and training that comes with it. Too bad guns don't come with a big box of perspective and respect for life, just bullets. A lot of people have a healthier form of gun culture, where they're raised to respect and properly use them, but too many are just jackasses.

Riddle me this: Can you name a single person who's shot an intruder dead in their home? Doubt it. Now can you name 10 shooting victims? I'm guessing you can.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I can think of about a hundred reasons why it is great to be an American before I even considered being able to pack heat legally. That it was one of the first things Feherty mentioned is, to me, a bit disturbing. But that's me.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

As much as I hate to go against what I'm sure is a very well-rehearsed tirade on gun permits, I don't think allowing a lot of people to have guns is going to help. I don't need to present evidence to back up an opinion, and I really don't give a crap about whatever statistics you can bring up. I'm talking about human life here, not numbers.

How about Trayvon Martin? His shooter was a wannabe cop who carried a gun, decided to be a vigilante and went after an innocent kid. Now, there's claims he got into a fistfight or whatever, but either way the two would both be alive if he hadn't had a gun. He had a gun because the laws are so lax; but they don't train you how to use them or check to see if you panic in a stressful situation. Irresponsible. If you have concealed carry, make it way more restrictive like only limited to police and law enforcement. Too many guys are wannabe special forces because they think tactical is cool, and carry a gun without having the balls to do the service and training that comes with it. Too bad guns don't come with a big box of perspective and respect for life, just bullets. A lot of people have a healthier form of gun culture, where they're raised to respect and properly use them, but too many are just jackasses.

It really isn't clear that they both would be alive except for the gun but I won't argue the point.  However  I would agree that not everyone should be allowed to own a gun unless they can pass a class on the laws and liability of such ownership, demonstrate some competence in use of the weapon, and the usual of not being a convicted felon, mental disease, ect.  We don't permit dangerous drivers so why dangerous gun owners.

Before I hear from all the NRA folks let me say I am a second amendment supporter, was raised on a ranch and have owned weapons all my life but when out hunting and you hear people say they got a "good sound shot" today it is clear that some folks just should not be out running around with a weapon because simply stated "they don't know what the hell they are doing and are a danger to themselves and others".

Butch

Note: This thread is 3793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!