IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shattered upper humorous broke both hands and dislocated shoulder. Now using a baseball grip, half back swing 75mph swing speed. Straight down the pipe every time. This fix is not recommended for anyone!

Here's how to cure a slice real quick with the driver...  By simply modifying your address position.

This is exactly how I cured my slice. I was a chronic "rare back and hit it hard as possible buy". I started using this method and used a lighter grip along with a slower swing. All this combined together allowed me to stop coming over the top, have a slightly inside out swing, and make better contact nearly all time. VOILA!!!...., the slice was gone, my drives went exceptionally longer and straighter, and I basically eliminated the the right side of the fairway. Happy - Happy - Happy!!!

God Bless!!! Ray

Shattered upper humorous broke both hands and dislocated shoulder. Now using a baseball grip, half back swing 75mph swing speed. Straight down the pipe every time. This fix is not recommended for anyone!

:offtopic: Wow glad to hear your still able to golf. If I may ask how did that happen? :offtopic:

"Fixed" is very relative, since I might go out and hit some wicked slices tomorrow, but for me it's all about getting my weight forward and feeling like I'm keeping my left arm against my chest in the backswing.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Wow glad to hear your still able to golf. If I may ask how did that happen?

Somebody made a right turn in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle, missed him but had a head-on with the car behind him........................I did not get rich from the insurance co, but all medical was covered,

Somebody made a right turn in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle, missed him but had a head-on with the car behind him........................I did not get rich from the insurance co, but all medical was covered,

Glad to hear you're ok. :beer:

Well I started my golfing career with a slice,  now I got a massive hook at times..

But all I did was cause I had a out and in swing path, I started trying to drag the club back slowly along the ground until I had to bring it up for my swing. And just swung straight through the ball and you shouldn't slice, unless you get your hands through quicker then the club head comes back

I've been golfing for 2 months, probably have about 12 rounds of 9 under my belt.  My slice is much improved.  I hit a lot more straight shots now with the occasional unwanted fade.  The adjustments I made was to close my club face slightly more than I was at first and I went with a stronger grip.  It was like magic :)

:cobra:  BiO Cell Driver

Magique 17* Hybrid

:adams:Idea Tech A4 22* Hybrid

:callaway:X2 Hot Irons 5-L

Knight 64*/10* L2 Wedge (K-Mart Special... 25¢ at Goodwill lol) Putter

:tmade:Ghost Belly Putter

I finally started to understand what the terms 'inside-out' and 'outside-in' refer to (I heard the terms often but had not a clue what they really meant)...

I started going to the range to work on hitting the ball from the inside.

Not only did the slice disappear, but it also added 30, 40+ yards to my drives.

I still have to work on it as it's a new swing for me, but after trying just about everything else, including getting lessons, it is so nice to not have to fear my driver being in the other fairway off every tee.

On a 345 yard par 4, a hole I normally layup (if I hit it nice) about 210 yards down (there is a large lake after that point), I decided to go for it and try and clear the lake. I hit my driver absolutely perfectly, cleared the lake and rolled up 50 yards short of the green.

I've waited the better part of a year to be able to do that, and it was an amazing feeling.

"Fixed"  what a great word.

It comes back frequently.

But my biggest inputs to making it much better - other than just practice and a couple lessons.

So, lately - talking driver here

1 - I close my driver's club face a bit more than my eyes tell me I should

tie that with just being aware of the connection of my right arm to my body (facilitates a more inside/out club path - or, in my case, just a more squared/centered club path)

is allowing me to be better able to pick my shape and avoid the really big bendy ball flights (I can depend on a (very) slight fade, nearly straight now.  If I try to draw, I still tend to overcook it a bit too much, but it's coming along too).

driver has gone from one of my worst clubs to hit, to one of my best

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

played from the back tees at my friends course 6800 yards and it just exposed the weakness of my driving ability. My home course is short from the tees at 6100 yards and I really dont have to use the driver from the par 5 so this year I been going with 3w and sometimes driver when my swing feel solid.

Got really frustrated with my driver as i had to take almost every tee that day.

Last two weeks I think I figured why I slice , (among other things with my driver)  I believe everyone has a different way to "cure" slice,

for me it's

1) lazy wrist set. I have to get my grip proper, what i used to do with success was hold the driver like an umbrella during my pre set up and able to feel the weight of the club plus the proper toe hang of the driver head. This gives me an important feel that I need.

2) stand just an inch further away from the ball. My tendency is to "jam" my swing to much. I swing much more fluid when I have some room for my arms to pass in front of my body. What i do is to backup an inch away from the ball for set up and then press my hand forward to address the ball.

3) have to remember its not just an arm swing, lead with my hips and drive . think "cut drive" instead of ""slice"

Basically the slice is an arm swing with no turning of the hips.

I finally figured it out for my swing. A few friends have tried it with some success. In my case, I do two things this year I didn't do when I consistently sliced/faded all my golfing life. 1. Left wrist flatter by very weak left grip 2. Right elbow in close to body thruout swing I now hit over 270 (with sldr with draw biase) fairly often and almost never fade. Btw, same for all my irons and I consistently hit greens from up to 170 yds (need some improvement with 5 iron to be consistent from 180-190 yds). I am 69 years old and loving golf again. I would enjoy hearing if these techniques work for you.

working on my driver and my cut drive are working most of the time, anything less than 30 yards of curve I will take as acceptable. However there has been some drives that curve more than that and I notice that if my eyeline is looking at the top of the ball rather than the just in front of the ball, small adjustment in my eyes sometimes makes the difference.

When I want to hook/pull my driver then my eyes tend to stay behind the ball or back of the ball.

Just started playing a month ago and am focusing on trying to learn how to hit the ball w/the driver..  Enrolled in the 5 week Golf Ready beginners course 3 weeks ago, but have not received any "real" instruction yet on how to hit the ball w/the driver, except watching YouTube videos and DVDs.

Was mostly hitting classic slices when I started,  but just recently figured out that in order for me to hit the ball long (for me) and relatively straight, I need to:

1) tee the ball w/the middle of the ball at about the level of the top of the driver (not too high or too low to avoid grounders or pop-ups),

2) use a modified interlock/baseball grip so that my thumbs & 3 fingers of each hand wrap fully around the grip which gives me a better grip and limits my tendency to open the club face,

3) wear gloves on both hands for a better grip,

4) flare my right foot out to the right for better hip rotation,

5) make sure that I keep my arms fully extended and on plane at the start/end of the swing, and

6) keep my right forearm facing up (not turned over to the left) at the bottom of the swing, which limits my tendency to swing out to in and keeps the club face square at impact.

The slice isn't entirely gone yet but, when I do these things. I am now able to hit the ball w/my driver only w/a slight fade (and sometimes even w/a draw).   Hit the driver at a golf simulator yesterday and these were the average stats for my 3 best swings:

Shot distance: 210 yards

Carry distance: 165 yards

Bounce & roll: 45 yards

Ball Speed: 120 mph

Club Speed: 80.5 mph

Smash Factor: 1.49

Launch Angle: 8.8 degrees

Horizontal Angle: -4.3 degrees

Club Path: -4.9 degrees (Out to In)

Club Face Angle: 0.7 degrees

The high smash factor score indicates that (at my best) I am currently hitting the ball about as well as can be done.  All of the swings hit the ball in the center of the club face w/a slightly out/in motion (5 degree) but with only a slightly open (less than1 degree) club face angle.  This results in slight fades, which is a heck of a lot better than the dramatic slices that I was hitting before.  The low carry/shot distance is mainly a reflection of my low club speed.  The launch angle of my swings is about 2-3 degrees low (as compared w/the Pros) probably limits distance as well.

So, in addition to developing more consistency in hitting the ball relatively straight w/o a slice, I also need to work on increasing my club speed and slightly raising the launch angle of my swings for greater distance as well.

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

Just started playing a month ago and am focusing on trying to learn how to hit the ball w/the driver..  Enrolled in the 5 week Golf Ready beginners course 3 weeks ago, but have not received any "real" instruction yet on how to hit the ball w/the driver, except watching YouTube videos and DVDs.

Was mostly hitting classic slices when I started,  but just recently figured out that in order for me to hit the ball long (for me) and relatively straight, I need to:

1) tee the ball w/the middle of the ball at about the level of the top of the driver (not too high or too low to avoid grounders or pop-ups),

2) use a modified interlock/baseball grip so that my thumbs & 3 fingers of each hand wrap fully around the grip which gives me a better grip and limits my tendency to open the club face,

3) wear gloves on both hands for a better grip,

4) flare my right foot out to the right for better hip rotation,

5) make sure that I keep my arms fully extended and on plane at the start/end of the swing, and

6) keep my right forearm facing up (not turned over to the left) at the bottom of the swing, which limits my tendency to swing out to in and keeps the club face square at impact.

The slice isn't entirely gone yet but, when I do these things. I am now able to hit the ball w/my driver only w/a slight fade (and sometimes even w/a draw).   Hit the driver at a golf simulator yesterday and these were the average stats for my 3 best swings:

Shot distance: 210 yards

Carry distance: 165 yards

Bounce & roll: 45 yards

Ball Speed: 120 mph

Club Speed: 80.5 mph

Smash Factor: 1.49

Launch Angle: 8.8 degrees

Horizontal Angle: -4.3 degrees

Club Path: -4.9 degrees (Out to In)

Club Face Angle: 0.7 degrees

The high smash factor score indicates that (at my best) I am currently hitting the ball about as well as can be done.  All of the swings hit the ball in the center of the club face w/a slightly out/in motion (5 degree) but with only a slightly open (less than1 degree) club face angle.  This results in slight fades, which is a heck of a lot better than the dramatic slices that I was hitting before.  The low carry/shot distance is mainly a reflection of my low club speed.  The launch angle of my swings is about 2-3 degrees low (as compared w/the Pros) probably limits distance as well.

So, in addition to developing more consistency in hitting the ball relatively straight w/o a slice, I also need to work on increasing my club speed and slightly raising the launch angle of my swings for greater distance as well.

All this sounds good. The way I managed to stop the inside out swing is all in the backswing. You have to set up to swing inside out or you have no chance. For me this "involved bringing the club back like you are emptying a bucket of water."   My pro also use a device called a Slice eliminator which worked almost immediately and had me hitting farther and straighter, even with a draw, in just a couple swings.

I am not sure the slice eliminator would work without instruction, but it sure does work with instruction. Basically, if you come over the top, you hit it and not the ball.

I read/learned about all the various causes of hitting a slice. Worked it out from there. I still slice sometimes, but I usually know what I did wrong.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

another thing to prevent slice is just to avoid the driver. For whatever reason, if I unsure of my ball flight that day and  cant practice before my teetime then I take out my 3w out for the 1st 3 or 4 holes to see how my ball flight it. I rarely slice with a 3 wood , and can see it that day I prefer shaping a fade or a hook. Then by the 5-6 hole I will take my driver more often if the hole design calls for it. I use my driver best when I predetermine what ball flight I want before I grab my driver out of the ball, With my other woods I can wing it and change my mind at setup and still make it work.

I think when I lack confidence and start with the driver ,and my timing is off then my default mode is slicing to offset mishitting the ball all together.

Sort of been there, and done all that plus some more broken stuff a couple years ago.  Most all the damage was on my left side. Yep, a slower swing speed does help prevent a slice. Drunk driver "T-Boned" me at an intersection. Ditto on not recommending this fix.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!