IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been a slicer forever, it always comes back. Video analysis showed my outside in path.

Fixes

1. Strong Left grip - promotes rotating the hand a little more at impact

2. Hank Haney -

I have to restrain my body to start swinging inside out - its crazy how WELL this drill works. I hit draws yesterday for the first time in my life!!

• Upvote 1

I have been a slicer forever, it always comes back. Video analysis showed my outside in path.

Fixes

1. Strong Left grip - promotes rotating the hand a little more at impact

If anything a strong grip limits the rotates of the hands. A stronger grip often results in a clubface that's more rightward pointing and a more OUTward swing direction because the handle can "lean" a little further forward at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At what point of weak grip do you begin to lose headspeed in the release? I seem to get better distance out of a properly set up stronger grip.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

my buddy slices so bad and this year he has figured out how to hit it left and play his slice...he really has hit some fairways...I refuse to do that and continue to find the correct way..I know i must learn to hit draw and gain that added distance...slicing is so frustrating....

At what point of weak grip do you begin to lose headspeed in the release? I seem to get better distance out of a properly set up stronger grip.

Simple answer, speed can be "lost"  when the heel pad of the left hand is on the side of the grip, it can greatly limit the mobility in your wrists. A "proper" weak grip won't limit your club head speed, a strong grip won't necessarily increase club head speed. You might hit it farther with a strong grip but that doesn't mean you're swinging faster.

my buddy slices so bad and this year he has figured out how to hit it left and play his slice...he really has hit some fairways...I refuse to do that and continue to find the correct way..I know i must learn to hit draw and gain that added distance...slicing is so frustrating....

Good thread for you to check out

Mike McLoughlin

I have changed from a slice to draw. First, I switched to the SLDR 460 off the Tee but that is only part of it since most of my shots are draws. I have worked on hitting to "right field". I am a righty. I also have moved the "V" formed by the thumb and index finger on my right hand grip so it follows a line up my right arm to my right shoulder. To give credit where credit is due, listening and watching Hank Haney has been a major factor.

My driver has been absolutely insane in my 2 1/2 years.. I've gone from the most wicked slice to a snap hook and everything in between over the course of that time. Right now, I've started hitting more pull-fade shots. They aren't long but at least it keeps the thing playable.

My driver has been absolutely insane in my 2 1/2 years.. I've gone from the most wicked slice to a snap hook and everything in between over the course of that time. Right now, I've started hitting more pull-fade shots. They aren't long but at least it keeps the thing playable.

Have you seen this thread?

Mike McLoughlin

Have you seen this thread?

I'll take a look through it.

Honestly, I guess I'm going to have to break this sucker of a swing down over the winter. Some of the stuff you have here looks like it would probably help me quite a bit. Lucky we have a covered, heated range in the area. Hopefully I'll be ready to roll next spring.

Update to my post. With the flatter swing, I am hitting straighter and farther (avg 260-270) and had my best score ever (par 72!). Flattening the backswing still feels awkward but is the only I get square at contact. The bonus is it creates more shoulder turn for people with tender backs...which increases swing speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I just try to draw as main stock stock now.

I know Trevino said "you can talk to a fade but a hook wouldnt listen"

however my fades just turns to slices and "slices dont listen neither"

I find hooking is  easier to cure as its more of tempo issue for me then a mechanical swing plane problem

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things I been working in the off season is to develop a reliable strong left handed hold on the club.

I find one of the things that go hand and hand for ME is weak grip and slicing the ball.

I know this isnt true for everyone, but for me if I can hold the club strong with my left hand I tend to keep the ball flight straight /or with draw.

I know it might lead to hooks but as in my last post I think I can cure it easier with tempo /posture, but  curing  a slice for me meanlt a fundamental change of the grip

I corrected my slice by adjusting my feet to more of a closed position and being conscientious of bringing my hands inside and releasing to "right field" to promote the inside-outside swing path.  Now I'm trying to correct the resulting hook of course.

Good thread here! :roll:

As you know, I´m struggling with my slice... I have a good iron game, a good short game and a nice putting game. So I´m sure that I´ll be able to drop my handicap when I fix my slice with the driver... I´m discover this thread today, so I´m going to practise these basic points I put together after reading here:

- Setting up to the ball with your right shoulder back a little more than normal

- Hips forward

- Handle forward

- Raise the handle slightly

- Hips don't shift back to the right on the backswing

Will let you know my impressions.... :smartass:

:nike:

- Setting up to the ball with your right shoulder back a little more than normal

- Hips forward

- Handle forward

- Raise the handle slightly

- Hips don't shift back to the right on the backswing

Will let you know my impressions....

Sounds good to me!

Mike McLoughlin

Stopped cupping my left wrist at the top of my back swing. That opened the club face too much and I could not get it square fast enough on my downswing. Result - banana ball.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

This is a dangerous thread.  I used to fear the push/slice, it was my big miss.  For the last two seasons I adopted an address position with the express position of mitigating the push/slice: closed stance, ball further back, closed face, strong grip.  This did take most of the left-to-right out of my ball flight, but still resulted in mostly crappy drives.  I lost power, added tons of backspin, developed a bad two-way miss, and contact was all over the face.

Then I ended up with a "pro" or "tour" level player's driver and decided to "embrace the fade" while testing it.

I switched to a square stance, opened up the face angle on the club (!), took a natural swing path and simply aimed down the left side of the fairway.  To my amazement, the ball flight was beautiful!  I could now swing with abandon and was rewarded with solid contact and tons of carry distance!  The two-fairway slice I feared would result was actually only a 10-15 yard fade.  Then I tried aiming down the center and SLIGHTLY closing the face, while still in my "fade" stance and suddenly I got a straight ball.

Don't fear it, swing natural and embrace it!

For the last two seasons I adopted an address position with the express position of mitigating the push/slice: closed stance, ball further back, closed face, strong grip.  This did take most of the left-to-right out of my ball flight, but still resulted in mostly crappy drives.  I lost power, added tons of backspin, developed a bad two-way miss, and contact was all over the face.

almost exactly this a couple years ago - to get it straight I actually swung the club like an axe (super outside-in) and just shut the face until the two effects cancelled each other.  Result - baby fade, but seriously short distance.  like 50 yards lost.  it was consistent, especially in the irons, but weak and sad.....

the more conventional address and swing has really paid off in the last couple years.  a couple simple lessons made all the difference

I'll take 270 yard drives and some level of control of my ball flight today.  Much better than 'only' the fade and about 210 yards then (and the teasing about such a ridiculous swing)

for sure

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!