IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

For me fixing a slice can be really simple. I just plan on playing a slice and my ball will end up dead straight into the trees on the left :)

i had to laugh at this because this happens to me too.

i'll ignore that i'm slicing and keep aiming straight, but when i finally give in there's bound to be 1 or 2 that come off straight as an arrow. just say you were trying to cut the corner and didn't get enough height.

to be fair though i've hit one drive 300 yards and that was playing my slice (and some generous wind) so sometimes giving in and adjusting the aim is all you can do to keep it reasonable on a bad day.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

i had to laugh at this because this happens to me too.

i'll ignore that i'm slicing and keep aiming straight, but when i finally give in there's bound to be 1 or 2 that come off straight as an arrow. just say you were trying to cut the corner and didn't get enough height.

to be fair though i've hit one drive 300 yards and that was playing my slice (and some generous wind) so sometimes giving in and adjusting the aim is all you can do to keep it reasonable on a bad day.

yesterday I played and hit 2 fairways all day and one was cuz it fought the wind and stayed on the right of the fairway and one was a dog leg right. Hole 18 comes around, PERFECT. dog leg left around the lake maybe 350. Crush a ball at the green and let the slice put you in the middle of the fairway. I had done it the one time i played this course before. Of course I absolutely crush this ball and the slightest draw ever. I managed to clear the lake and be maybe 30 yards from the green. under the trees and behind a bunker my pitch rolls over the green 3 putt to close out with a double bogie. so frustrating

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I try tmake a conscious effort of using my wrists to square up the face. Went out to the range to practice with my five wood and guess what? 200 straight down the middle, that is as far and much more consistent then my driver. I may just leave out the driver and carry another wedge instead

I always used to have a really bad slice.  A few lessons later on the topics mentioned above - weight shift (reverse-pivot) , swing path, etc helped a heck of a lot.  The single best piece of advise I was given though was to not hit a straight shot (for longer irons and woods/drivers).  Once you understand the basic theory  of what makes a draw and what makes a fade, then trying to shape each shot makes you seriously put in more thought to each shot.  I went through a stage just after my slices where I tried hard to fade/hook my shots, and usually i hit the ball either straight or with a slight fade.  Getting used to what that felt like was like starting all over with my swing.  The upside is that when you start playing consistently, being able to put left-right, or right-left on the ball greatly widens 90% of the fairways you play too.

I have always struggled with a small slice throughout my playing days. It’s almost like a slight fade rather than a slice usually moving about 6-8 yards but I do have the occasional bender that comes raring up. Some quick fixes that I found were I would let me shoulders get too open while my feet and hips were square to the target. This promoted a little more out-to-in backswing and created the slice spin. I also found that on my downswing I would have a tendency to drop my right shoulder a little too much which would leave my clubface wide open. Once that clubface was open there’s no chance for that golf ball. These may be a couple of quick fixes that you can check to see during your swing.

Some people have had luck with swing trainers and analyzers .

See you on the course.

I had a slice when I first started playing, it was a matter of setting up for a slight draw and squaring my shoulders, thankfully that sorted it out.

My ideas:

A forceful forward hip slide.

Open hips and closed/neutral shoulders.

The arms should merely be the connecting rod between the hips and the hands.

Please accept my bad english, I'm from Sweden.

Sliza

Your English is fine. I have been battling a slice, and by rotating my hands to close the clubface I don't slice anymore. Now I have a great hook that pops up randomly. I just can't get it right!

Originally Posted by sebsmash

Your English is fine.

I have been battling a slice, and by rotating my hands to close the clubface I don't slice anymore.

Now I have a great hook that pops up randomly. I just can't get it right!

OK, but does'nt that require a lot of timing?

At one point (years ago) I had a slice with my 3-wood (i.e. 13deg) in which I noticed my club head was dipping thus resulting in a slice.  To correct my slice, I simply chocked-down on the handle and (wallah) my ball went straight.  In addition, I was able to choke back up  (i.e. to the normal position) and hit a fade off-the-tee.

This is about my 3rd post on this thread because I am constantly battling a slice. This past weekend I said I would try and play a fade and It worked. I used 1 ball for about 20 holes then decided to retire it and didnt lose that ball through my next 16. I have been trying so hard not to slice it and then I decided I would just play it and make it a baby fade It worked. I cant explain it. Somewhere in trying not to slice or make it go straight something was going wrong. I strengthened my grip close the club face a hair and make a natural (kind of out to in) swing.

• Upvote 1

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Years ago I took a long cardboard box that I had received a club in and sat it just outside my ball on the range.  It was parallel to my line and I would hit it when I came into the ball on the wrong path.  I got to where I started coming into the ball from the inside and have been hitting a draw ever since.  A swimming noodle would do the trick as well.

Meant to reply to this when I first saw it a bit ago..

Anyway, I used to slice, don't now -- I'm a high handicapper, so these are probably total bandaids, but hey, sometimes bandaids are good. :)

I did two things to stop slicing:

1: Strong grip . Exaggeratedly strong at first, until you start hooking it like crazy :).

Combined with:

2: Shoulder lean/tilt away from the target . I think this is basically just squaring my shoulders up, but my thought is to lean away a bit, or tilt my spine away from the target.

When I set up with the ball forward in my stance and reach forward, I feel my shoulders kind of open toward the target. Then I just tilt a slight bit back until they seem straight again. (Does that make sense?)

Nothing revolutionary, but those were simple and worked for me with my swing.

Otherwise, pretty much all I think about is gathering weight into my back foot on takeaway, then pushing off with it as hard as I can. If I try to swing hard like this without the two steps above, sliceville.

Originally Posted by Sliza Minelli

My ideas:

A forceful forward hip slide.

Open hips and closed/neutral shoulders.

The arms should merely be the connecting rod between the hips and the hands.

Please accept my bad english, I'm from Sweden.

Sliza

Sliza - you are pretty much right on.  I think the hip slide is the key.  If you start your downswing by rotating and not by sliding forward somewhat, your hips will open too fast, and it will be hard as "Heck" to keep your shoulders closed.  Actually, I think if you forget to slide hips, the early rotation of the hips will actually throw the arms out and you will come down to the ball "over the top" (OTT).  If you have kept a square face, the OTT move will cause you to hit a pull-slice or a dead pull.

The only other thing I would add is that at impact your hips really shouldn't be too open.  Maybe a little, but the closer they are to parallel the target line the better.  Again, in my experience, throwing the hips open too early has only made me throw the arms out more and come OTT.

gary

My Bag:

-- Cobra S3 Driver, 10.5 stiff

-- Ping G15 17 Deg 4 W, Reg Flex Aldila Serrano

-- Adams Idea Tech V3 Hyvrids - 3H, 4H, Bassara Reg Flex

-- Callaway X Hot Pro Irons - 5-AW, PX-95, 6.0 flex

-- Cleveland CG12- 56 Deg

-- Odyssey XG Marxman Putter  

Less hands and arms, more core and shoulders turning.

Hip slide in conjunction with turning the core. I use my sternum as a guide and center of my swing and my relative spine position to my hips.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

One other recommendation to fix the slice - read the post in this forum  "The Biggest secret- Slide your Hips".  If you read and try that, you have a good chance of fixing your slicing ills!  It has worked for me, but it is a constant battle!

My Bag:

-- Cobra S3 Driver, 10.5 stiff

-- Ping G15 17 Deg 4 W, Reg Flex Aldila Serrano

-- Adams Idea Tech V3 Hyvrids - 3H, 4H, Bassara Reg Flex

-- Callaway X Hot Pro Irons - 5-AW, PX-95, 6.0 flex

-- Cleveland CG12- 56 Deg

-- Odyssey XG Marxman Putter  

Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!