IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It seems like whenever someone posts that their normal shot is a fade and they want to learn to draw the ball, there is someone who will suggest they should embrace their fade as it "takes away the left side of the fairway". The reason some of us want to learn to shape the ball is to simply have a bit more control. I don't mind my fade, but it drives me insane that I have little to no choice in the matter. Also, there are days when my fade starts to become a slice. If I had more control/knowledge/ability, I could make the necessary adjustments to bring it back to a fade/straight or as noted above, curve the ball left when a shot calls for it.

I work on this almost daily and I will eventually get it. But it has proven to be more difficult than it should be.

Make sure you're working on the right things.  The path is just too far to the left, first place to look would be g etting the weight forward properly, Key #2.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm really glad this thread got bumped. A lot of the drills and thoughts here are things that I need to focus on, since I tend to still slice at times. With me, it's either too fast of a tempo and I get all armsy, or I fake my weight forward. I'm especially bad with the driver on that one. I've got a lot of inside/mirror work to do this winter, and a lot of the tips from this thread (and the 5SK vid thread) will be played and worked on repeatedly.

Can I ask what the 5SK vid is or a link??

TIA

Titelist 910 D2
r7 draw irons
Seemore FGP
lots of different balls

My steps to fixing my slice (beware, all my mishits are hooks now and I almost prefer a slice stopping by the trees rather than a hook landing left fairway and running OB.

1.  Drop back foot back a little bit.

2. Close hips to target.

3.  Bring club along your body, don't let it get outside. (The back foot back promotes an inside-outside swing path for myself)

4. Keep weight on front foot through swing (a touch of S&T;).

Mileage may vary

I had a major slice, then a minor fade.

Fixed both by working on my swing plane. Have completely changed my swing in the last few weeks and by eliminating the steep swing I had, I only ever draw the ball or the odd hook

Can go hand in hand.  The poorest players have the weight back or slightly forward at impact and the players have the weight the most forward.  To create a path out to the right (for a righty) you don't need to swing out to the right.  With the weight forward and flat left wrist (handle forward) you're already creating the outward path.

This^^^^

I have been having a little issue with ball starting left and wanting to turn back as well.  The fix for me was mostly weight forward and deep hands. This, along with some other keys, puts my path where it needs to be which eliminates the slice.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Can I ask what the 5SK vid is or a link??

TIA

These are the two I reference the most

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_791160

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/90#post_846019

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

If you swing around your body you're going to have a hard time getting the ball to start straight and go straight.  Even if you try to swing from inside out.  If you get the face closed enough you'll hit straight pulls,  even more closed and you'll hit pull hooks.[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/284874/width/640/height/360/flags/] swingaroundbody.jpg [/URL] If you swing around the left shoulder and move the left shoulder ahead of the ball it will make it much easier to get the path going more to the right.  Then with a clubface slightly closed to the path you can hit a draw. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/284876/width/640/height/360/flags/] swingaroundleftarm.jpg [/URL]

Oh wow, I think I just had an epiphany in regards to how I've been swinging and this post may have finally pinpointed what I've been doing wrong with the driver or getting the ball pushed to the right. The best I could do was a pull draw...but the majority of the time was either a pull or at best a fade. So what I'm getting is that you swing around and your front leg / shoulders...what I've been doing was swing around my torso thinking I had to keep my head back. I can now also understand what keeping weight on front leg means too. I cannot wait to hit the range and try this and finally start hittinf push draws or anything to the right!!

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the range and didn't manage to hit a single ball straight. Argh! Just need to vent so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Please tell me it is actually possible for a habitual slicer to get better... A few months ago I thought I did, then I made the mistake of reading about the swing, watching videos, learning about ball flight laws blah blah and it seems the more I know the less I'm able to actually make any improvement. SO frustrating.

Anybody interested in buying a gently used set of popular brand name clubs?

I dont think I 'cured" mine. just manage to control it. Hit an intentional slice sometimes with my 3/4 iron

I just modified what I had into a controlable fade with my wedges and a cut shot with my woods

Please tell me it is actually possible for a habitual slicer to get better...

It is, there's no secret to it, just gotta put the time in the make it better.  Scroll up to check out the last couple posts I made in this  thread if you're looking for a probable reason you're slicing and a way to lessen it or even draw the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Just got back from the range and didn't manage to hit a single ball straight. Argh! Just need to vent so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Please tell me it is actually possible for a habitual slicer to get better... A few months ago I thought I did, then I made the mistake of reading about the swing, watching videos, learning about ball flight laws blah blah and it seems the more I know the less I'm able to actually make any improvement. SO frustrating.

Anybody interested in buying a gently used set of popular brand name clubs?

Yep that is golf.

Yes a habitual slicer can get better. You can't be delusional into thinking that there is a quick fix, there isn't. Swing path changes are a pain in the ass to work on. It takes time, patience, dedication, but it is totally possible.

Great thing is, you have a good support group here at "TheSandTrap". Post the swing, get some constructive criticism, and get to work. Some great information in the "Swing Thoughts" section on the forum. Especially look at the subjects on how to practice. That in it self will help dictate how fast you will progress and change your swing.

On Topic, how did I fix my Slice. I got a lesson from @iacas :-D . Became a believer in the 5 keys.

Know that there is a problem. Know what causes the problem. know how to fix the problem. Know how to implement the change. Change the swing.

Pretty much all the information you need is on this forum.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So, just went to the range today and had the best session ever. I could not get anything pushed right (in to out) but went back to what I thought was just a bandaid, but apparently Hogan set up this way - closed stance. I started by exaggerating my closed stance and swung...beautiful push draw. I understand I'm more than likely hitting a pull draw, but it hugs the outer edge of the fairway, then draws back in and FAR. It was at least 270 yards out with little to no effort. Then tried my 3 wood and 4 iron off the mats (which I could never really hit off of) and beautiful push draws with a closed stance. I'll address with all clubs open facing the general direction I want the ball to fly, then close my stance from there. At worst, it was a controllable block if I didn't close my stance enough, or a hook which was both playable. Absolutely stoked and cannot wait to try this tomorrow on the course!!

i stood a little closer to the ball so my weight isn't on my toes. then i practice keeping my arms extended through release. also swinging down my target line, not just at the ball

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I used to have a HORRIFIC slice on my 3H, 3W and Driver. I tried all the usual suggestions, looked at my swing in a mirror (didn't cough up the money for lessons which probably would have saved me some time and anguish) and the one thing that really made a difference was switching to a stronger grip for those clubs. Now I'm still experimenting with how much of a grip change for each club and still have issues but switching to a strong grip was definitely the biggest difference maker for me.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

On the course, playing for a score, learn to aim the slice - aim left, try to hit it left,  and then play it left to right.

Oversimplified admittedly, that is essentially what Lee Trevino did.

To improve: Practice the following: square to target at address: feet, knees, hips, shoulders (esp., the shoulders).

Standard grip, both V's pointed at the right shoulder.  Then, imagine the leading edge of the club

works like this:

ball

O

I /////_   >opening back,then

<_ \\\ I ///// < closing through.

From the top, swing from inside to out with a slightly closed face (looking left) at impact.

Hips start the downswing, the upper body follows with passive hands.

The swing is a twisting, rotary motion. The upper body twists and leads the backswing.

The feet and hips twist and lead the downswing.

Much better: get a lesson from a Pro, who can really teach and also show by example.

And, find a single digit handicapper and follow by example.

Make certain your equipment fits you, esp., shaft flex (not too stiff) and lie angles on your irons.

Properly fit lie angles are HUGE.

The golfer's ball-striking bibles: Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons and Tom Watson's Getting Back to Basics.

Any Tom Watson video you can find on the internet.

To improve: Practice the following: square to target at address: feet, knees, hips, shoulders (esp., the shoulders).

Standard grip, both V's pointed at the right shoulder.  Then, imagine the leading edge of the club

works like this:

ball

O

I /////_   >opening back,then

<_\\\ I /////     < closing through.

From the top, swing from inside to out with a slightly closed face (looking left) at impact.

The clubhead will be opening and closing regardless of what you're consciously trying to do.  Having a "square" clubface is not only really really hard to do but it doesn't make sense in hitting shots at a target.  Please read this http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

On the course, playing for a score, learn to aim the slice - aim left, try to hit it left,  and then play it left to right.

Oversimplified admittedly, that is essentially what Lee Trevino did.

Aiming more left can make the slice worse, you are effectively swinging more left the more left you aim.  Trevino did aim left but he swung OUTward in relation to his body alignments.  Let's say he aimed 8* left and swung out 4*, his overall swing direction would still be left, reason he hit fades.  Clubface was LEFT of his target at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

a hook which was both playable.

A hook is never playable, probably the least controllable shot in golf.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

A hook is never playable, probably the least controllable shot in golf.

Actually it is if you know what you are doing. If you can control your swing, and you need to hook the ball you can, and it is controllable. Not to the point you are going to drop it in a 3 foot circle, but you can hook it 30 yards and get it back in the fairway.

Aiming more left can make the slice worse, you are effectively swinging more left the more left you aim.  Trevino did aim left but he swung OUTward in relation to his body alignments.  Let's say he aimed 8* left and swung out 4*, his overall swing direction would still be left, reason he hit fades.  Clubface was LEFT of his target at impact.

Yep, when I want to make sure I don't want to hit a cut I will aim more to the right. For someone who use to hit a cut 99% of the time, it takes some confidence to do.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!