IGNORED

Wearing a Watch while Golfing?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you wear your watch when you golf?

• Yes, Always
    • No, Never
    • Sometimes

OP: speaking for myself, I don't see the need for a WATER-RESISTANT watch. YMMV. :>) I wear one of those thin Skagen watches, it's very light and I don't feel it at all. If I get put on the clock I need to know where I stand with the officials (reference to another thread). Well, not exactly. It has a crack in it, NOT resulting from a gofl-related incident. If I fall in a pond I won't be too upset.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

I never wear a watch for two reasons:

1. it would interfere with my swing..it would feel awkward

2. I go to the golf course to get away from the clock...let the game itself determine how long I'm on the course....if I do need to know the time I rely on my cell phone ...which I generally shut down for the duration of the round to minimize interuptions.

Amen, brother, amen.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Funny you said wedding ring. When I first got married I would always take my ring off when I played because it just felt different with it on and since we diehard golfers strive for consistancy I felt I wouldn't have the same feel with it on and thus wouldn't play as well. No big deal, I would take it off on #1 tee and put it back on after #18. One day it just slipped my mind and I went home without it on and my wife noticed instantly. She asked where it was...

Sounds like a good idea for a new Snickers commercial.  "Wanna get away?"

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by David in FL

Won't damage it, but I don't wear a watch or even my wedding ring (doesn't fit under a glove) while golfing,

Same as you cannot wear my wedding ring when playing. Just always felt funny under my glove. My wife actually jokes it's because I'm married to golf and it would feel like cheating if I wore the ring she got me. LOL

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by the19thhole

Same as you cannot wear my wedding ring when playing.

I would not want to wear your wedding ring anyway...

Originally Posted by luu5

Take some time to get to know him before you draw any conclusions.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Watch - yes

Ring - yes

Glove - no

I wear a simple Mondaine with a leather band. It is light and thin enough so as to be unnoticed. Simple look and not too expensive. Don't check the time very often during the round but might check at the turn to decide about grabbing a bite or waiting until the end of the round. I also like to know how I'm doing time-wise before my tee time.  I'd love a Garmin but can't justify it since 80% of my rounds include a cart with excellent GPS. The Garmin is bigger than my watch but I think I'd get used to it pretty quickly.

Used to take my wedding ring off and strap it to my watch and put both in my bag. Ring felt like my finger was getting pinched when I gripped the club. Nearly lost both the watch and the ring one day and decided to never take the ring off while golfing again. Found that if the ring is bothering my grip, I'm gripping way to tightly. Now I never notice it (might now that you guys have me thinking about it.)

I also gave up wearing a glove this season and love that feeling. Got the idea here. Iomic Sticky grips feel too nice to wear a glove.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I wear the Garmin S1 gps golf watch.  It was given to me as a gift for Father's day last year.  I wasn't sure how I would like having anything on my wrist while swinging the golf club but it took me no time at all to adapt (actually, I didn't have to adapt at all).  I don't even notice it in my swing but I sure do love having yardages at my immediate beck and call.  When I don't have it with me, I feel naked now.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Watch - yes

Ring - yes

Glove - no

When I'm wearing a watch, that's true. I rarely wear a watch these days, though. Typically it's just my wedding ring, which doesn't bother me one bit. I think I took it off the first time I played golf, then realized it wouldn't do anything and just keeping it on is better than losing it.

In fact, I almost never take my ring off, and only then, briefly so I can clean it. I slide it forward half an inch or so normally when I wash my hands or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by luu5

Why it's a very fine one and I don't offer it around to just anyone (note to self: Please check your punctuation when posting or it might land you in hot water LOL)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Take some time to get to know him before you draw any conclusions.

Brandon

LOL

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

I wore a watch once when golfing and destroyed it, the vibrations left it in ruins.  I never even wear a watch now, I have my cell phone.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I don't like the feeling of my watch when I play. Once in a while when I forget to take it off, it moves around and I'm conscious of the weight. But, I have always worn a stainless bracelet on my right wrist that slides all over the place and I don't even notice it. Go figure..

dak4n6

The only watch I'd consider wearing would be something like the Garmin S1/S3. Wouldn't care to wear a regular watch.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I don't wear a watch even off the course but think the S1 would be convenient so I have been practicing with a regular watch to see how it feels before I spend the coin on the S1.

I have always worn a watch. I always had a cheap for golf only watch. I feel the sweat is hard on a good watches finish and the seals can be damaged by all the impacts, which hurts waterproofing protection. I currently wear an S1. I also carry a Bushnell, the best of both distance world's for me.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

When I'm wearing a watch, that's true. I rarely wear a watch these days, though. Typically it's just my wedding ring, which doesn't bother me one bit. I think I took it off the first time I played golf, then realized it wouldn't do anything and just keeping it on is better than losing it. In fact, I almost never take my ring off, and only then, briefly so I can clean it. I slide it forward half an inch or so normally when I wash my hands or something.

Although no longer married I always wore my ring when married. I noticed the golf had distorted the rings shape, the golf club side became a bit flattened over time.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
Originally Posted by allin

Although no longer married I always wore my ring when married. I noticed the golf had distorted the rings shape, the golf club side became a bit flattened over time.

Heh. I don't have a golf club side. I paid about $70 for my wedding ring (my uncle's a jeweler, but it's just titanium), and it's just a round band, so I think it moves from time to time. Plus I play with it now and then. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by allin

I noticed the golf had distorted the rings shape, the golf club side became a bit flattened over time.

My gold wedding band now resides in my wife's jewellery box because of this.  Not just from golf, but from bending wrenches, playing ball, etc.... I never took it off for anything.  First it flattened a few times, then it eventually cracked as it wore thin.  I now wear a tungsten carbide band that is pretty darn hard.  It fits a bit loose some days though, so I usually take it off because I still wear a glove for my driver.  I actually lost my wedding ring once, while in a drug store.  Removed my winter gloves and it slipped off, unnoticed.  The store owners found it when they were vacuuming at the end of the day..... I was lucky to get it back!

As for the watch, I feel naked without one on, but it too comes off when I am doing anything other than being at work or going out for the evening.  It sits in the golf bag until the round is over.

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!