IGNORED

Wearing a Watch while Golfing?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you wear your watch when you golf?

• Yes, Always
    • No, Never
    • Sometimes

Originally Posted by David in FL

Won't damage it, but I don't wear a watch or even my wedding ring (doesn't fit under a glove) while golfing,

I'm the same way.......I'll never wear a watch playing.  I always felt it on my wrist and it bothered my swing.  I don't know how pro's like Phil and Bubba do it......LOL

I won't wear my wedding band either, and I'm a lefty.  The grip doesn't feel right. I use an interlocking grip and the wedding band interferes.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Heh. I don't have a golf club side. I paid about $70 for my wedding ring (my uncle's a jeweler, but it's just titanium), and it's just a round band, so I think it moves from time to time. Plus I play with it now and then. :)

Mine was a fairly high content gold, probably a lot softer. Plus I gained weight, it didn't move at all:-P.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I always either have a sport watch or a loose bracelet on.

From my baseball years I have developed a minor sense of superstition, if I have an awesome round and am wearing a bracelet the next round you will see me with that same bracelet.

That only works sometimes though :)

Whenever I wear a watch I loosen it one notch from where I wear it normally so that it isn't tight up on my wrist and I can still have a good range of motion.

Speaking of which, if I had money to spare that I wasn't saving for new clubs I would buy that new yardage watch (by Garmin I think), part for the purpose but mostly because it looks sweet.

• 9 months later...

I have a dedicated 'golf watch'.  It's a Skagen, very thin and light.  It has a crack in the face but works great.  My aviation watch (has altitude and compass readings) stays at home.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Can't do the watch or ring thing during any sporting activity. Too restrictive for me.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

What's a watch?

I can't carry anything in my pockets, nor would I want to.  It all goes into the bag (cell phone, keys, wallet.  The phone, BTW has a clock).  Why wear crap that weighs down the pants at all unless you like breezes and showing your waistline to people.

As for wearing something on my wrist - I hate that at normal times, but while doing any activity?  absolutely not.  There is zero upside for watches, bracelets, necklaces, etc in ANY sport that has motion.

In the pockets is the scorecard, pencil;:  a few tees.

Next season I might really go crazy and add the divot tool and ball mark.  But I think I can clip those to my hat.

But I'm minimalist - I don't really get guys that wear jewelry.  Including watches.  I have great aunts that like jewelry.  Good for them.

Wedding ring came off years ago because of rock climbing - it's been on my key ring the whole time.  My actions symbolize my commitment, not a piece jewelry.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by rehmwa

But I'm minimalist - I don't really get guys that wear jewelry.  Including watches.

Uhm... maybe they don't view them so much as jewelry but rather devices that can help them know what time it is...?

I don't wear a watch when I play. Sometimes when I am practicing but even then it's rare.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhm... maybe they don't view them so much as jewelry but rather devices that can help them know what time it is...?

Personally only, I find them to be vanity pieces (one poster has a dozen he said?), equivalent to a bracelet or a gold chain.  They might have been more about functionality before cell phones and the like, but today?...... - YMMV

It's not a big deal, just because I think it's a bit effeminate, doesn't mean it is or isn't, that's just how it strikes me.  It's an opinion.

I also think that now that the Olympics have snow boarding speed comps, that the so called "athletes" are a bit stupid to be wearing loose and dragging clothing rather than speedier outfits.  It's probably a lot more like that.  Admit it, Venus Williams swinging for the Wimbleton win and her necklace is smacking her in the face - seriously?  Clearly they are champions, but it's a disconnect that bugs me.....and then I get over it.

Bill - 

• Administrator
They might have been more about functionality before cell phones and the like, but today?

Not going to debate the merits of a watch over getting out a cell phone that might be buried in a pocket or something. Seems pretty obvious to me. I wear my wedding ring when I play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

no problem -

I'll be guy asking you what time it is as we close the 16th hole...

Bill - 

I think we have some princess-and-the-pea types here.  I played golf for 9 years before I got married, never once noticed the difference once I put on the ring.

Can't fit a glove on over the wedding ring?  Are you using a replica SuperBowl ring as a wedding ring?

One day every other year or so I find myself in such a hurry or in such a state of distraction that I walk out the door without my watch.  I spend the entire day feeling like I don't know where I should be at that time - it's awful.  If you're not wearing a watch while playing golf, how will you know how late you're running and how much hot water you'll be in with your wife when you get home from the golf course?

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by rehmwa

What's a watch?

I can't carry anything in my pockets, nor would I want to.  It all goes into the bag (cell phone, keys, wallet.  The phone, BTW has a clock).  Why wear crap that weighs down the pants at all unless you like breezes and showing your waistline to people.

As for wearing something on my wrist - I hate that at normal times, but while doing any activity?  absolutely not.  There is zero upside for watches, bracelets, necklaces, etc in ANY sport that has motion.

In the pockets is the scorecard, pencil;:  a few tees.

Next season I might really go crazy and add the divot tool and ball mark.  But I think I can clip those to my hat.

But I'm minimalist - I don't really get guys that wear jewelry.  Including watches.  I have great aunts that like jewelry.  Good for them.

Wedding ring came off years ago because of rock climbing - it's been on my key ring the whole time.  My actions symbolize my commitment, not a piece jewelry.

I don't get these twenty-something kids who think that a freakin' cell phone is the answer to everything in life, from being able to tell time (glancing at a watch is much quicker and far less obtrusive if you're at a meeting or trying not to let someone think that you think they're boring, taking too much time, etc...) to finding something (stand-alone GPS units work better and work everywhere without eating up your data mbs) to communicating with other people (texting instead of having an actual conversation with someone in person).  I bet rehmwa has at least one of the following:

1) A pair of designer jeans that cost more than $150;

2) Callouses on his thumbs from texting; or

3) A manpurse to carry his near-tablet-sized smartphone

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

I own 4 watches, including a pocket watch that was a wedding gift. I'm completely secure in my masculinity, thank you very much.

Andrew Rice did a short, not very scientific study on wearing a watch while playing golf. I don't normally wear mine (it ends up in the bag along with my cell and wallet, even at the range) and this link seems to show a slight decrease in swing speed while wearing a watch - http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2012/09/when-you-play-watch-or-no-watch/

Russ B.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

to finding something (stand-alone GPS units work better and work everywhere without eating up your data mbs)

My experience is that they don't.  And I've tried most of the highest rated stand-alone units.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Wisguy I bet rehmwa has at least one of the following:

1) A pair of designer jeans that cost more than $150;

2) Callouses on his thumbs from texting; or

3) A manpurse to carry his near-tablet-sized smartphone

nope, nope, and nope  (not that there's anything wrong with those, I find each of those things to be much like the watch, or the gold chain - just not my cup of tea)

fun post though -

just because I have a different outlook on the man jewelry thing, doesn't mean it's bad, or good.  Just a different outlook than yours.  Relax, people can have different opinions on things.  Enjoy your baubles.  Everyone should feel pretty once in a while.

thanks for putting me in with the 20 somethings.  Actually, I'd hate to have to go back and relive that.  Every decade gets better since.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!