IGNORED

Where do you buy your clubs? Always new or is it ok to go used?

Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys/gals,

I'm looking at putters right now and I'd like to get an Odyssey 2-ball.  I have been in love with the way the White Ice 2-ball feels but am not sure whether I am going to get the same feel from an older model 2-ball like the DFX.  Am I going to notice a big difference in the newer versions vs. the models from the last 2 years?

Do you all use Ebay or Craigslist to get your used clubs?  Any other site(s) I should know about?

Thanks

Bruce

Keep Calm and Chive On!

I prefer craigslist for the simple fact you can see a face and bargain while making sure the club is what they say it is.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Most everything in my bag was bought new. I do have a few hybrids/wedges that rotate in and out that were bought used and dirt cheap off of ebay.

Buying a couple year old model on anything isnt going to make a huge difference. Maybe you are missing out on an adjustable driver, but with the price difference I think that could be accepted.

All that matters is that you like it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver - given to me, used

5W - given to me, used

Irons - garage sale, $35

Wedges - Cleveland 588 was used, Ping Tour new

Putter - new

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Putters I buy used from a local superstore that has a 90 day return policy.  This way I can try them out, a good carpet putter may not be a good grass putter.  (an new putters can be grossly overpriced.)

I buy irons from the same store - usually used.

Wedges I find on e-bay because the model I like is getting rare in clean condition.

Woods: These are a problem. I will only buy the exact club I demo to eliminate shaft issues.

Drivers: I buy my melons from the grocery store.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

From a couple of other threads I've read on here, I think you have to be careful of counterfeit clubs.  They are more prevalent than I would have thought.  Other than that, I don't know that you'll see any difference between a brand new and a used putter.

Originally Posted by meenman

Most everything in my bag was bought new. I do have a few hybrids/wedges that rotate in and out that were bought used and dirt cheap off of ebay.

I'm fascinated that somebody so adamantly against using "pre-owned" golf balls has no qualms about using pre-owned clubs off of ebay.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I'm fascinated that somebody so adamantly against using "pre-owned" golf balls has no qualms about using pre-owned clubs off of ebay.

There is a huge difference and you know it. Clubs do not deteriorate as fast as balls do.

Most of the pre-owned clubs I buy are something I buy on a whim for testing purposes and because the price is right - most are sitting in my extra golf bags around the living room.

I will generally throw one of them in my bag when golfing with the wife - she likes to steal my clubs and I prefer it wasnt one of the ones I regularly use.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I buy all my stuff new. Personally I would probably never buy wedges used unless they were barely used.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Originally Posted by zombywoof

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

+1 this is a great place to buy used because they run a lot of deals and generally there descriptions are very accurate.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Up until a couple of years ago, all my clubs were hand me downs from my dad, even though I could afford to buy them myself.

When I finally decided to overhaul my clubs, I bought them all new.

If I have to buy them, I would prefer new clubs not used.  The only used clubs I can see myself using are those that my dad has given to me.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think it's fine to buy used clubs as long as you are happy with the condition. The market is flooded with nice used clubs, might as well take advantage of it. I've used eBay a ton and classified sections on message boards like this board to get good deals on clubs.

In The Bag:
Driver: 
 RBZ 10.5*
3 Wood:  RBZ 15 *
Hybrids G15 17* & 20*
Irons​ G2 4-UW 
Wedges:  Vokey 54*
Putter:  MC-03w
Balls:  PD Soft

If you buy clubs face-to-face, you get to try them out before you buy them. Also, you can build a relationship with a local shop which may pay off in good deals later on: they might hunt down unusual club items for you, or find you good used items they end up with for trade-in.

Online may be OK if you are familiar with a product and want more of it. Let's say you have a Razr Hawk 3W you really like - you might go online and get a matching 5W. Same thing for wedges, providing they're not "used up" by the time you buy them.

But if I'm changing irons, I would want to be fitted to make sure I'm getting what I need.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I buy on a mix of both. 3balls and ebay are my choice places to purchase used clubs. Clubs are so pricey I have a hard time buying new tbh. Last year I bought new g5 iron set (black dot) right off the rack. Last year I also got to play 50 rounds, this year I am on pace to do that much again. The previous years I played 10 rounds or less.

Spending a lot of time playing now I felt I wanted to make some changes to at least try and have my score reflect the amount of time I play/practice. One lesson and the instructor makes note that all of my irons are getting heel scuffs. Last week I cleaned them up and have now gone another week of play, heel scuffs again. Today I bought a used g2 iron set on ebay (orange dot). Thankfully they were under $200 and are fairly comparable to the g5 I have gotten a little used to.

I'll be tracking myself with great detail over the next month. I'll be sure and update what I've seen in these changes. Fitted clubs are the to go, so that's how I am going. I do not regret buying new off the shelf irons, I just wish the "pro" at Golf Galaxy had spent more than 10 minutes with me to be sure I got what I needed. Slightly used g5 black dot irons soon to be listed on ebay, watch for the listing if interested =P

I have purchased used clubs through my golf teacher/pro; he knows local people who are selling clubs.  I felt he knew me and my abilities and knew best what clubs would work for me at my current state of play.   So far, I have purchased a Taylormade R7 Driver, a Cobra 9 wood, a set of Adamsgolf A3OS Idea Hybrids, and am considering a set of three Adams Tom Watson Wedges.  So far, the clubs he has suggested to me have worked well.  I know some day I will want a nice, new, shiny set, but for now as I learn, the used clubs are working great for me.

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

I've bought both used and new clubs. Currently, all the stuff in my bag was purchased new. To me the biggest thing is that I like to be able to try the club before buying, so if your local golf or pro shop has some good used equipment, I'd prefer that to buying on-line.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!