IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Check Jack's live interview

TUNE IN: Nicklaus interview live, 11 a.m. ET Video Icon

Great field this week with Tiger, Bubba, Phil and Rory.  Here are the notable groups for the first two days

Justin Rose/Hunter Mahan/Steve Stricker: This group features the last two winners of the Memorial Tournament in defending champion Steve Stricker and Justin Rose, who leads the European Tour’s Race to Dubai and has momentum after finishing second in England last week. Hunter Mahan, who stands second in the FedExCup, is one of two two-time winners in 2012 after winning the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship and Shell Houston Open.

Phil Mickelson/Rickie Fowler/Bubba Watson: Watson, who  won the Masters 10 days after becoming a father, is playing for the first time since defending his title in New Orleans a month ago. Fowler, who picked up his breakthrough victory earlier this year at the Wells Fargo Championship, was runner-up at Muirfield Village in his 2010 debut. In his last seven starts at the Memorial, Mickelson, who was recently inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame,has finished 20th or better six times.

Tiger Woods/Bill Haas/Fred Couples: Woods is a four-time Memorial champion, winning three straight after Fred Couples picked up his only victory at Muirfield Village in 1998. Both he and Haas, who won the Northern Trust Open earlier this year, played for Couples as the U.S. won the Presidents Cup in Australia last November and are vying for another spot on America’s Team — this time, at Muirfield Village — in 2013.

Rory McIroy/Luke Donald/Keegan Bradley — Donald and McIlory will be vying for the No. 1 spot the Englishman regained with his win at the BMW Championship on Sunday. McIlroy, on the other hand, has missed his last two cuts but should be confident at Muirfield Village with top-10s in his two starts. Bradley, the reigning PGA champ, already has three top-10s and 10 top-25 finishes in a solid sophomore season, losing in a playoff at the Northern Trust Open.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice to have #1 and #2 in the same group for two days.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Can Phil and Tiger have a good week at the same tournament? Possibly, it happened once early this year at the AT&T.;

GO PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

One of my favorite tournaments.  First, I grew up east of Cbus and used to go to this tournament every year as a kid with my parents.  Awesome venue!  Even tougher course.

I loved sitting on the par 3 # 12 green side.  You could see some great golf there.

Regarding the course, I've only played it once - during a US Junior Amateur tournament (many, many moons ago).  It kicked my butt!  And watching the Pros go low on it amazes me at the difference between my game and theirs.  They are unbelievable.

Some great groupings for the first 2 days!  The Phil/Rickie/Bubba group should be fun to watch!

I am rooting for Luke Donald, it seems like no matter what he does he is always considered second to King Rory.

Great groupings. I'll be wanting to see Rickie and Bubba. Hope they do well because I so not want to watch Phil. Should be a good tourney

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Great stories. Luke putting up another win while Rory craps the bed again; now they're playing together. This is the best year in golf in a long, long time.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Just got back from the course today for wednesday practice round. Course looks great. Someof my favorite spots are the par 3 12th sitting on the hill looking into to green. And at any of the par 5 at the second shot, great risk and reward at all of them. Saw alot of guys go for it during the practice round today. I'm going back up for Sundays round. Scored some clubhouse tickets. Can't wait to see who it comes down to down the stretch. I will try to get some of the pics I took today up tomorrow

Rory has picked up where he left off, with two balls in the water in his first three holes. He got away with it and made par on the par-5 11th (his second), but made a 7 on the par-3 12th. Luke Donald, playing with Rory, is -1 through 3. Tiger, playing just behind them, has piped his first two drives 315 and 320 into the fairway, but missed 12-footers for birdie on both holes. Missed the green on 12 but made a nine-footer to save par, even for the day.

Originally Posted by brocks

Rory has picked up where he left off, with two balls in the water in his first three holes. He got away with it and made par on the par-5 11th (his second), but made a 7 on the par-3 12th.

Luke Donald, playing with Rory, is -1 through 3.

He birdied back-to-back holes to get back near respectability.  Still, I find it somewhat amazing that he is going through this stretch at such a young age in the same season when he appeared to be a lock to finish in the top 10 every week.

Did you see any of his presser or his on-the-range coverage yesterday?  I found it interesting how all the talk was about how him and his coach were doing two-a-day range sessions with the camera and trying to fix and tweak the flaws in the swing, etc.  Earlier this season, in order to criticize Tiger, analysts would point to McIlroy as a prime example of somebody who "doesn't mess with their swing" and just swings freely.  Now they're talking about video feedback of his swing to make swing changes (which is likely overblown).

Also hearing him talk of how he didn't feel comfortable and confident at Wentworth is just another reminder to a novice player such as myself that even the best of the best go through periods of golf where they simply don't feel comfortable over the ball.  It's just startling to hear that from a guy who a couple months ago was pretty clearly at the top of his game.

Brandon

Regarding Rory's 7 on the 12th... That is an awesome par 3. It should get more accolades. So much drama... You just never know what the best players in the world are going to do there. That green looks like a postage stamp from the elevated teeing area.

Did you see any of his presser or his on-the-range coverage yesterday?  I found it interesting how all the talk was about how him and his coach were doing two-a-day range sessions with the camera and trying to fix and tweak the flaws in the swing, etc.

Yup, and Rory said (paraphrasing) there was nothing seriously wrong with his swing, but he needed more reps. My conclusion is that he's either about to win five of the next six majors, or he's a has-been who should give up the game. And stop throwing clubs. Edit: Damn, another one in the water for Rory, on 17. I wish I could watch it; no way to know whether it's bad swings, or bad decisions.

The Live@ coverage is going to be covering 12 and 15 today, which two of the premiere groupings have already finished.

Brandon

Tiger is at 2 under on the 18th. Rory is at 3 over... Checking up on Phil now.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

hmmm, seems phil isnt on yet./ I thought he was in an early grouping, my bad.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Did you see any of his presser or his on-the-range coverage yesterday?  I found it interesting how all the talk was about how him and his coach were doing two-a-day range sessions with the camera and trying to fix and tweak the flaws in the swing, etc.  Earlier this season, in order to criticize Tiger, analysts would point to McIlroy as a prime example of somebody who "doesn't mess with their swing" and just swings freely.  Now they're talking about video feedback of his swing to make swing changes (which is likely overblown).

At some point, he's going to have to do something to protect against that massive hook that he tends to hit.  As fast as he swings, his hips have to be even faster--if they slow down even to above-average pro speeds, he's taking a drop out of someone's swimming pool.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

OUCH, tiger made a 6 on the par 4 18th.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Note: This thread is 4312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!