IGNORED

Did you know your left side should be dominant?

Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't know much about the golf swing yet, but I don't understand how letting your left side take over improves your follow-through..

What's funny is I am totally left-side dominant and I think the OP is garbage.  But my right hip, right hand grip pressure, and the bending and straightening of my right arm are all essential elements to my golf swing.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

For me its true, I feel like I am making a cover drive rather than a hook shot (those who are not cricket savvy - maybe a back hand rather than a fore hand in tennis) as I am left handed at most sports but playing right handed golf clubs...  Also, if I let my right hand side take over I sway far too much on the back swing and cant get back to the correct position for the rest of it.

Originally Posted by Bananarama

For me its true, I feel like I am making a cover drive rather than a hook shot (those who are not cricket savvy - maybe a back hand rather than a forward hand in tennis) as I am left handed at most sports but playing right handed golf clubs...  Also, if I let my right hand side take over I sway far too much on the back swing and cant get back to the correct position for the rest of it.

surely its a sweep and not hook ;)

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

Wasn't Hogan left handed playing right handed clubs?

Which if true probably has more to do with poverty as a kid then anything else.

Jack Nicklaus  was left handed. I hear he did alright.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

same thing i guesshaha

anyways back on topic, ive never felt like my left side was "dominant" or ifnact that my right side was dominant, it just feels how it feels

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• Administrator
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7

Jack Nicklaus  was left handed. I hear he did alright.

No he's not. He has a left hand, if that's what you mean.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this just trying to say pull with your left side, dont push with your right? Im actually not even sure which one is right. I beleive you are supposed to pull with your left.

Obviously OP isn't saying you might as well play with just your left hand. but doesnt the right hand do more of the guiding and the power comes from hip movement which is whole hips but can appear as just your left hip as thats the one you turn on your follow through.

When teaching grip people always emphasize where to place the club in your left hand and for the right hand its just point the V down towards the face.

The left arm staying straight is a basic while keeping the right close to the body is looked over more often and a more common problem.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Where does the Whitworth quote come from? It would be nice to read what she goes on to say about the matter. One sentence can mean anything. The Hogan quote is a good example. This is on page 101, and it does not refer to the entire swing. He was referring to the left wrist being in such a position at impact that no matter how much power was applied by the right hand, the club could not turn over, even if he had three right hands, which he wishes he could have at this instant.

• Upvote 1

Left side dominant to me implies left side pulling of the club through the plane verses having the right side drive the club face. This recently has become very obvious to me and helped me shape and aim my shots with greater success than not being left side dominant. I have two friends I play with and they do not seem left side dominant with one that plays a draw, the other a fade. I think for me using the left side dominant helps me stay on track for a better ball strike. :~(

Originally Posted by MethodX

Left side dominant to me implies left side pulling of the club through the plane verses having the right side drive the club face.

This recently has become very obvious to me and helped me shape and aim my shots with greater success than not being left side dominant.

I used to think this as well until I studied some pro swings more closely.  More specifically, I was under the impression that the arms/hands and general right side are more passive on the downswing and the downward angle to the ball on an iron shot was generated by the hip slide/rotation alone, but watching a lot of pro swings have convinced me otherwise.

Look at this video and tell me when the left side stops pulling the club through and when the ride side takes over (in obviously oversimplified terms):

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I used to think this as well until I studied some pro swings more closely.  More specifically, I was under the impression that the arms/hands and general right side are more passive on the downswing and the downward angle to the ball on an iron shot was generated by the hip slide/rotation alone, but watching a lot of pro swings have convinced me otherwise.

Look at this video and tell me when the left side stops pulling the club through and when the ride side takes over (in obviously oversimplified terms):

I would say at about 14 seconds. Just a hair before impact

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I think he was being rhetorical.

Tiger's both pushing and pulling the entire downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

That question is somewhat rhetorical.  If his right side was "passive" until just before impact I don't think that clubface would have ever gotten square.  Both sides are very much active to me.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by dak4n6

We need more. In what way(s)? Details! Examples!

We could speculate endlessly on what Lady Golf Pro means by 'using the left side'. Why won't she expand or elucidate what she means by this?

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

We could speculate endlessly on what Lady Golf Pro means by 'using the left side'. Why won't she expand or elucidate what she means by this?

She's a 21 handicapper.  Lord knows what her left side is doing during the golf swing.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by iacas

I think he was being rhetorical.

Tiger's both pushing and pulling the entire downswing.

well I feel a little dumb. but I am going to stand by and say I know the right side isn't just sitting there so before impact it was 51 49 left side and after wards 51 49 right side

I'm happy that you posted the video. I see a left side dominant / pull from beginning to just past impact.

Although not my favorite athlete swing, Tiger is a phenomenal athlete. One thing that I have had to realize is that regardless of talent and athleticism, a golfers swing is very distinct to them.

Some may require a little of this, more of that etc. Rocco with his left leg back comes to mind as does Furyk. I have a very quiet lower body and tend to have active arms. To deal with this, the swing thought (one of them) I have is to initiate and carry the club through the swing by pulling with my left side - outer delt to be specific.

Watching Tiger I can see that I need to stop the left side dominant earlier than some of the times I swing to avoid pulling my shot.

Having recently returned to the sport, I am immersing my self to get the best return for my effort. I'm glad I found this site :-)

Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!