IGNORED

What was your greatest milestone in your golf "career"? Breaking 100, 90, 80, or 70?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 3966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What was your greatest milestone in your golf "career"? Breaking 100, 90, 80, or 70?

• Breaking 100
    • Breaking 90
    • Breaking 80
    • Breaking 70

I just started golfing last year, and I shoot in the 90's.I have actually never had a round in the 100's with a highest of 99, but when I started I have had some 9 hole rounds in the 60s and towards the end of last year in the 50s. I've only had one 9 hole round in the 50s this year (54...first round of the season, all the rest in the 40s)  I just broke 90 the other day for the first time with an 89 (47, 42 on my difficult par 71 course) and It made me think of starting this thread. My goal for this season was to consistently shoot 80's so this is a good start. If you haven't broken 100 yet, then what do you need to work the most to get there?

Broke 80 twice last year, shooting a 76 and a 79. This year seem to be stuck in the 80's with most rounds 82-86. My ball striking has been really off lately and am only making 3-4 GIR a round. Short game has been pretty decent and that has kept my scores from ballooning too much.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

None of the above really. Always looking to improve my game. Wanting to break 70 this year but I'm not coming along like I'd like.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

For me, it was my lowest round ever, 77 at a par 72 course. It let me know what I am capable of. I wish I had the wisdom to just keep playing and not change anything back then. It would have saved me a lot of money and a lot of grief. Now I struggle to get back to how good I used to be.

For me personally, it was breaking 80.  I have always been able to shoot mid to high 80s, but never able to break 80 until this year (shot a 78).

Now, the goal is to par a course.

It's really the same idea, relative to your skill/handicap and what you normally shoot IMO.

Golfers who shoot 100's want to break 100 /  90's want to break 90 / 80s to break 80, etc

I still remember my first sub-70 round and I still remember my first bogey-free round. I think the bogey-free round holds more weight in terms of satisfaction.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

I still remember my first sub-70 round and I still remember my first bogey-free round. I think the bogey-free round holds more weight in terms of satisfaction.

I think you are right, I have many sub 70 rounds and to tell you the truth I cannot remember the first one. I can however remember my bogey free round. I also remember my lowest round ever.

To answer the OP it was breaking 70 I guess. I only shot over 100 once in my life, I broke 90 after playing 2 months. Breaking 80 was a big deal, I remember that because I bogeyed 18 like 5 times in a row to shoot 80 before I did it. Funny thing was the first time I actually did break 80 I shot 75. I guess I wanted to make sure a bogey on 18 wouldn't hurt me that time.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I only shot over 100 once in my life, I broke 90 after playing 2 months.

Wow.  Just wow.  I have been busting my ass trying to learn this game for ten solid months now.  Non-stop lessons, practice sessions, video analysis, you name it.

It took me almost nine months to break 100, and I haven't broken 90 yet...

Well some people learn quick, and it comes natural. No matter how much natural talent you have, you still have a ways to go. Golf is a sport that takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master

I shot a 50 on the front nine last weekend, that was the first time for me. The back nine wasn't so friendly, likely due to a combination of a jack & coke and the unreasonable belief that trees can't deflect the path of my ball as long as I hit it hard enough.

Originally Posted by Chipless

Wow.  Just wow.  I have been busting my ass trying to learn this game for ten solid months now.  Non-stop lessons, practice sessions, video analysis, you name it.

It took me almost nine months to break 100, and I haven't broken 90 yet...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I've ever shot a round over 100...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

For me it was both breaking 90 and breaking 80. I've played golf on and off for 2 years before breaking 90. I finally broke 90 during a handicap tournament a friend of mine talked me into. Pressure does help. When I broke 80 (shot a 79), it was also during the second day of a weekend tourney. Did poorly on the first day and just tried to play well the second day since I was already out of contention.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Breaking 80 for the first time.

Day started out badly, as I split my driver head in half warming up on the range. I pulled a brassie (14-degree 2 wood) out of my car trunk, and used that for the day.

Middle of front nine, I hit the longest par 4 on the course in regulation, got my par, and then had back-to-back birdies on a par 5, and a par 3 (missed a hole in one by 6 inches).

Back nine was several bogies, and I had a chip-in par on a par 4 to prevent disaster. I remember playing it safe on short par 4 No. 18: Hit a 2 iron short of fairway bunker, dropped a 9 iron (I believe) on front of green, and then 3-putted for a bogie. Ended up with 37 + 40 = 77.

It was one of the first rounds I played with my then new MacGregor MTs, my first move into stiff shafts. Used those irons for 20 years.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ben

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I've ever shot a round over 100...

Me either. I didn't play until I'd spent a winter swinging in my basement and reading everything I could. My first few times out I was a good enough putter and chipper that I'd get near the green and make bogeys, the occasional par and double bogey, and shoot about 95 to start.

The course was only 6100 yards long and pretty wide open back then, so that helped.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For me so far it was breaking 100.  I've done it twice since last summer when I started playing golf.  I shot a 96 and a 98.  If it wasn't for my short game I would do it more often.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Did anybody pick a benchmark that isn't the lowest that they achieved?  It would be interesting to see that someone said 90 was bigger than 80.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!