IGNORED

Etiquette note: If someone accidentally hits too close, give them a chance to apologize.

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What I like to do when golfing with a friend especially on blind holes is to get him to lie down next to the ball and then act like it hit him.  Always good for a few free drinks (kidding of course).

I once took out 3 wood into the wind on a driveable par 4 figuring it would land 50 yards short.  Well as soon as I made contact I said "oh shit" yelled fore and rolled one just under the group ahead's cart.  Got to them at the next tee and they thought it was impressive that such a young kid could do that.  I apologized and they said don't worry about it we were so impressed.

I've also had the negative where there was a hole that had a little landing area about 300 yards over the trees or the fairway that ran to the right of these trees.  I waited to hit last (long hitter of the group) expecting to slice I didn't think much of the group ahead as they were at least 40 yards out of the way and walking.  Well it turns out I smoked my driver straight as an arrow over the trees and from what we could tell landed perfectly in the landing area.  Looked for my ball didn't see it in the fairway looked in the trees (no bushes or shrubs easy to find a ball) and nothing.  The buggers pocketed my ball.  I was frustrated as hell because even though I didn't charge myself a stroke it still felt like I was cheating.

Usually I don't care if people hit up on me as long as it happens occasionally because like sean said we all occasionally hit a club 30 yards longer than planned or get a good bounce.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

Just because someone brings up someones race doesn't mean that it's a racist comment.

That's true ... but in this case it clearly was.  "The ONLY reason I bring up their nationality is because they seemed clueless about etiquette" translates to they are clueless BECAUSE they are oriental.  (Read: Asian ... they aren't rugs)

That is racist.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's true ... but in this case it clearly was.  "The ONLY reason I bring up their nationality is because they seemed clueless about etiquette" translates to they are clueless BECAUSE they are oriental.  (Read: Asian ... they aren't rugs)

That is racist.

I think I missed the original post.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

I think I missed the original post.

Yep. You're quite right that not every racial comment is racist, but this one quite clearly was.

"I only bring up their nationality is because they were following Asian golfing customs and this led to a misunderstanding," would have been fine by me.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

Yep. You're quite right that not every racial comment is racist, but this one quite clearly was.

"I only bring up their nationality is because they were following Asian golfing customs and this led to a misunderstanding," would have been fine by me.

There is no way around it.  The post was bigotted.  I would love to hear the original poster who made that comment clarify these Asian golfing customs.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

There is no way around it.  The post was bigotted.  I would love to hear the original poster who made that comment clarify these Asian golfing customs.

Oh, I don't think that was his point at all. I was just giving an example of a case where the race would be actually be relevant to the discussion.

In the bag:

Originally Posted by zeg

Oh, I don't think that was his point at all. I was just giving an example of a case where the race would be actually be relevant to the discussion.

I fail to see how race is relevant to "golfing customs" of any kind.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I fail to see how race is relevant to "golfing customs" of any kind.

Ok, this is getting way off topic, but there are, in fact, different customs in Asia as compared to the US. I don't have first-hand experience, but for example, I believe it's common to take a relatively long break at the turn as opposed to grabbing a snack and racing to the 10th tee.

Anyway, you're arguing with a hypothetical example.

In the bag:

Originally Posted by zeg

Ok, this is getting way off topic, but there are, in fact, different customs in Asia as compared to the US. I don't have first-hand experience, but for example, I believe it's common to take a relatively long break at the turn as opposed to grabbing a snack and racing to the 10th tee.

Anyway, you're arguing with a hypothetical example.

I agree it's getting way off topic.  This was a great thread.  Hopefully someone can put it back on track.

Seems like most of us agree that we should all assume it was an accident until proven otherwise when someone hits into us.  And it's not cool to touch another players ball when it happens.

During a round, my uncle was actually hit in the head with a golf ball which resulted in a concussion and stitches; he was standing in the tee box ready to hit, the ball came from the adjacent fairway. Not only did the person not yell fore, or come and apologize, he actually ran off and left the course.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

• Administrator

A friend was 30 degrees right (maybe more) of a tee yesterday and had a ball bounce within six feet of him yesterday. They were playing the next hole, so they were ahead of us, but that next hole was parallel to our hole.

The group never came by to apologize.

So the corollary to the first post is this: if you do hit into someone accidentally, bust your ass to get to the people and apologize profusely. You screwed up, even if it was accidental, and you owe the person or people you scared a sincere apology.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As I posted in another thread, I was recently hit into 3 times in one round. First time was on a green when the hitter was only 125 yd out in a sand trap. He did apologize saying he didn't think he could reach, but come on, why not just wait for the green to clear? (Also, these guys were playing from the tips, so he should have been good enough to hit 125 out of a fairway bunker.)  The second time my son and I were standing in a fairway bunker on a par 4 waiting for the green to clear, when a ball comes slamming into the sand 10 ft from me. About 20 sec later I hear a 'tink' from the tee, and this ball goes screaming just over my head and catches the lip of the bunker.

I did not give them a chance to apologize because it was obvious they were displeased with the slow pace of play (we played a 4 hr 15 min round that day). I picked up the one d1ckhead's ball and chucked it into the woods and we got the hell away from there before we got seriously injured, and then I called the proshop to inform them of what had happened.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Precis1on

During a round, my uncle was actually hit in the head with a golf ball which resulted in a concussion and stitches; he was standing in the tee box ready to hit, the ball came from the adjacent fairway. Not only did the person not yell fore, or come and apologize, he actually ran off and left the course.

no matter how hard someone apologizes, there's still the threat of a lawsuit if you hit someone.  so yeah, i would've taken off as well.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Not sure if the post above me is for real or not haha...haha...err...

Cranking a person with a golf ball can be fatal how can you not go and see that everything is ok and apologise???

So if I adopt your thinking, you hit a guy on a bicycle with your car...better do a runner, could get sued for this one....

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

Not sure if the post above me is for real or not haha...haha...err...

Cranking a person with a golf ball can be fatal how can you not go and see that everything is ok and apologise???

So if I adopt your thinking, you hit a guy on a bicycle with your car...better do a runner, could get sued for this one....

i think you inherit a risk at a golf course of getting hit by a ball.  so yeah, no joke, if i hit you with my ball, i hope you brought a friend to call 911 cause i'm outta there!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Played a round today and got hit into about 4 times.  Twice our carts that were about 10 yards from us were hit.  Each time the parties apologized and were very nice.  Seems a downside to all this great new technology is lousy golfers can mishit their shots even further than they thought.

Joe Paradiso

If the group behind has hit into my group a few times, sometimes I'll just tee the ball up. They would know they were hitting into us and they have an extra reason to catch up and apologize because I want my tee back. :p

Play, practice, practice, practice. Repeat.

Pro-V1

910 D3 9.5*

910 4 Wood 17*

KZG Tour Evolution Irons 3-P

KZG TRS Wedges 50*, 54*, 58*

Newport 2 (34 1/2")

Note: This thread is 4327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!