IGNORED

Etiquette note: If someone accidentally hits too close, give them a chance to apologize.

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, today I happened to play with a partner who hit into the group ahead of us.

The guy was hitting weak low running hooks all day off the tee.  We waited on the group in front of us for most of the round, but usually not for long and we never came close to hitting into them all day.  On about the 15th tee, my partner quickly walks up, a bit frustrated at his play so far, and proceeds to nail his drive on the screws and probably 40 yards further than anything he'd hit all day to that point.  As I step up onto the tee box to see his drive, he notices it may end up hitting into the guys ahead who just finished hitting their approach shots and are advancing up the fairway in their carts.  He yells "Fore" very late.  The ball actually bounces once, and then hits one of the carts from behind as it's moving up the fairway.

They stopped, turned and looked back and my partner waved as if to say sorry.  While I'm teeing up, the other guys tell him to hit another ball because they took the other one.  Not sure if they threw it somewhere or kept it, but we never found it, and they also told the cart girl to reprimand us on her way towards us.  My partner was definitely in the wrong, and he yelled too late, but we never hit into them all day, and it would have been nice if they wouldn't have chucked the ball for one indiscretion.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

So, today I happened to play with a partner who hit into the group ahead of us.

The guy was hitting weak low running hooks all day off the tee.  We waited on the group in front of us for most of the round, but usually not for long and we never came close to hitting into them all day.  On about the 15th tee, my partner quickly walks up, a bit frustrated at his play so far, and proceeds to nail his drive on the screws and probably 40 yards further than anything he'd hit all day to that point.  As I step up onto the tee box to see his drive, he notices it may end up hitting into the guys ahead who just finished hitting their approach shots and are advancing up the fairway in their carts.  He yells "Fore" very late.  The ball actually bounces once, and then hits one of the carts from behind as it's moving up the fairway.

They stopped, turned and looked back and my partner waved as if to say sorry.  While I'm teeing up, the other guys tell him to hit another ball because they took the other one.  Not sure if they threw it somewhere or kept it, but we never found it, and they also told the cart girl to reprimand us on her way towards us.  My partner was definitely in the wrong, and he yelled too late, but we never hit into them all day, and it would have been nice if they wouldn't have chucked the ball for one indiscretion.

Yep. Everybody should get a pass on the first one.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are right. I would not expect the course to kick this guy out on this first hit. Warn him and then kick him out for his reckless disregard for safety.  You will get hit into and sometimes it is unavoidable (i.e slice to a different fairway, blind shots, heck even the time you hit you approach shot 40 yards farther than ever and hit the guys on the green). This isn't one of them. Teeing off when the guys are hitting their approach shots is a clearly avoidable case

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Yep. Everybody should get a pass on the first one.

This happened to me this weekend.  I was on the tee of a 15 a short par 4, dogleg right.  I had been waiting on the group in front on almost every shot... all day.  I took a triple on the previous hole so I took a while playing that one :(  Anyways I get to the box and there is no one in sight.  I cannot see the green so I assumed that I was clear to hit as I was going to lay up and not attempt to hit the green.  Just as I make contact... their cart comes out of the trees on the left.  My drive flies right over their cart.  It could have been tragic as I am yelling "FORE" but they cannot hear me.

I immediately head down to them to apologize.  They were quite understanding as they knew they were deep in the trees and could not be seen.  I did feel awful, but still made par :)

My two cents.  I have seen two situations like the OP says.  The first is the guy who pulls/pushes/slices/hooks a shot and it flies into a group of players.  Hopefully not hitting anyone but certainly not on purpose.  I've done it myself and always make sure I apologize to the group, even if they are a little hostile. I also try to yell "fore" and point if I have time or see the other players.  I personally also accept such apologies when it is an isolated event and in some cases I've had the offending player chase me down to apologize.  These events just happen and I agree with the OP you need to give the man a chance to apologize.

But the second situation is where the group behind you hits into your group more than once and never attempts to apologize. I will on the second event go to up and tell them they are endangering us (I think they must already know that) and to please make sure we are clear before hitting their shots.  I try to stay polite regardless of their reaction but firm that saving a few seconds or minutes on the round isn't worth endanger others on the course.   I don't accept offers for physical combat as we have some pretty liberal laws on CWC here (makes me wonder about the IQ of someone who offers to kick your a$$ when they don't know you from Adam) and I've seen all the physical combat I care to in my earlier years.  If we are hit into a third time I call the Pro Shop and ask they send out someone to put a stop to it. Usually the Pro Shop will send someone in short order.   If in a reasonable time they don't respond I call again to request their help and advise I know some pretty good lawyers if I get hit and they don't respond to my call.  That usually fixes it.

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

If in a reasonable time they don't respond I call again to request their help and advise I know some pretty good lawyers if I get hit and they don't respond to my call.  That usually fixes it.

Too bad, then, that most courses make it known that hitting into other people is not the courses issue.  It's the guy that hit into you.  At my old course, we had a guy who actually called the cops for assault after a guy hit into him.  The cops pretty much laughed and drove off.  As well, I'm pretty sure the ball by the time it is landing is moving pretty darn slow compared to if its a line drive at your head.  And if it hits you after a bounce, it shouldn't hurt at all.

Having said that, I was playing with a buddy of mine on a par 5, and just as we are getting into our cart the guys behind us smack a ball right through the cart between our heads on a line drive, hitting the sign that hangs down from the cart.  THAT was scary, because that one woulda hurt.  But, for the most part, the likely-hood of actually getting hit with a ball moving very fast is very low.  But, to be hit with a ball on the bounce or something does suck, and I'd be pissed.  But, it doesn't hurt and I'm not going to go through the stupid process of trying to get him kicked out for a silly mistake.  If he actually wanted to hit me, he'd come right up to me and do it, not hit a ball.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!