IGNORED

eBay sellers offering to order clubs

Note: This thread is 4332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mizuno and Titleist have very strict pricing control guidelines for their resellers.  Stores are not allowed to advertise unauthorized discounted prices and aren't even supposed to offer in-store discounts on new current model items.  Most deals I've seen on legitimate Mizuno and Titleist clubs are for "used" sets where one iron is used as a demo and the rest of the set is new.  I've heard some dealers will take a new set, open it, remove the plastic from one club, swing it on the simulator and sell it as used in like new condition.   If they do that too often or are reported they risk their dealer status.

As for the components being available, that's possible as well, but in my experience the components from the manufacturers would cost more than buying a set so I'm not sure how they can achieve a significantly discounted price unless the shafts aren't legit or are used.

Originally Posted by jtgolfer

I started this post and want to update it.

An eBay seller named GolfSalesKing gave me his phone number and I called him and asked him several questions. He said his clubs, shafts, grips, etc., are authentic. The iron set (Mizuno MP-53) would have a serial number on it and yes, I could call Mizuno. I asked him where he got the heads for the clubs, but he wouldn't tell me.

In regard to calling Mizuno he said something that baffled me — "If you call Mizuno and give them the number, don't tell them that the clubs are new."

Today I called Mizuno US and asked them about this statement. The Mizuno rep said the guy could be buying the components from Mizuno but he can not sell them as new because he's not an authorized dealer.

Maybe I'm missing something or didn't understand something, but it seems if Mizuno wants to protect their brand they wouldn't do this.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've bought and sold a ton of crap on Ebay over the years, including clubs, with zero problems.  My tip to you is to do intensive research on what you're looking for so you know all the facts / specifications / options, etc.  Look through sellers' feedback and definitely contact them multiple times via email, phone call.  Most high-positive feedback sellers don't mind at all answering multiple questions about their item(s) and a lot of sellers run their own golf shops on the side and just use Ebay to move their inventories.

I've bought Ping woods, Vokeys, and a Scotty on ebay for under full price.  All clubs were in excellent condition.  It just takes patience.

Just be careful, there are a TON of counterfeits out there on Ebay.

Originally Posted by brianm423

I've bought and sold a ton of crap on Ebay over the years, including clubs, with zero problems.  My tip to you is to do intensive research on what you're looking for so you know all the facts / specifications / options, etc.  Look through sellers' feedback and definitely contact them multiple times via email, phone call.  Most high-positive feedback sellers don't mind at all answering multiple questions about their item(s) and a lot of sellers run their own golf shops on the side and just use Ebay to move their inventories.

I've bought Ping woods, Vokeys, and a Scotty on ebay for under full price.  All clubs were in excellent condition.  It just takes patience.

Just be careful, there are a TON of counterfeits out there on Ebay.

All clubs were in excellent condition, meaning they were used.

Brand new clubs, like newtogolf just said, Titleist and Mizuno DO NOT OFFER ANY DISCOUNTS FOR NEW CLUBS.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Read the article. They are not brand new clubs. They are "used".  Maybe it is a scam. But it has been one at least one of the guys has been running for 3+ years now.

Originally Posted by Motley01

All clubs were in excellent condition, meaning they were used.

Brand new clubs, like newtogolf just said, Titleist and Mizuno DO NOT OFFER ANY DISCOUNTS FOR NEW CLUBS.

Originally Posted by jtgolfer

I started this post and want to update it.

An eBay seller named GolfSalesKing gave me his phone number and I called him and asked him several questions. He said his clubs, shafts, grips, etc., are authentic. The iron set (Mizuno MP-53) would have a serial number on it and yes, I could call Mizuno. I asked him where he got the heads for the clubs, but he wouldn't tell me.

In regard to calling Mizuno he said something that baffled me — "If you call Mizuno and give them the number, don't tell them that the clubs are new."

Today I called Mizuno US and asked them about this statement. The Mizuno rep said the guy could be buying the components from Mizuno but he can not sell them as new because he's not an authorized dealer.

Maybe I'm missing something or didn't understand something, but it seems if Mizuno wants to protect their brand they wouldn't do this.

I've been thinking about a set of MP59's and was looking on ebay. GolfSalesKing I would be afraid of, they have a name change and the old feedback don't look very good. I did see a couple of sellers that looked legit that were selling Mizuno's for ~$200 under retail. They all say the set would be built to spec by Mizuno then each iron tested by a Pro. I assume this way they can sell as used and avoid the mfg's retail pricing rules.

I've bought most everything in my bag from ebay along with many other clubs I've since traded in or sold. Not once have I had a serial number not check out or come up as fake. If you've been scammed and got a fake club, I'm sorry. Please do not set the place on fire with don't buy on ebay panic. As others have said, do your research and always be on the look out when a buy just seems too good to be true.

My most recent buy, a set of Ping g2 orange dot irons 3-pw, seemed too good to be true. I contacted the seller, he gave me serial numbers and I called Ping before purchasing, they checked out just fine. The seller was up front that he had his name engraved on the hosels and that's part of why he was nearly $150 under anyone elses price. Thankfully I've got a grinder and steady hands. In the end a potentially shady deal worked out great due to making a few phone calls and research. My slightly used g2's only cost me 138 with shipping btw.

I've never had a problem. I usually buy single clubs, some used but a few new ones. Usually from Dallas golf, 3balls and other sellers with lots of transactions.

Same here. I've used several of these sellers and a few others a lot of times and never been burned. RTR '12!

In The Bag:
Driver: 
 RBZ 10.5*
3 Wood:  RBZ 15 *
Hybrids G15 17* & 20*
Irons​ G2 4-UW 
Wedges:  Vokey 54*
Putter:  MC-03w
Balls:  PD Soft

Note: This thread is 4332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!