IGNORED

Marking your golf ball.........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to doodle funny pictures by filling in the dots. Then I got tired of it, so now I just keep a sharpie in my bag. Before teeing off, I grab three balls and make sure they're labeled with a big "J1," "J2," and "J3." My name starts with J, and I play J1 to start. J2 goes in my pocket for a provisional if needed, and J3 goes in a handy place in the bag in case I lose one of the first two.

This way I don't have to bother paying attention to the printed number on the ball. When I marked them all the same, I also had to go through the sleeves and scramble the numbers.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't ever mark my balls but I think I will from now on. Not sure what I am going to do though.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I find that when I mark my balls with sharpie they leave marker all over my club and Im not down with that? For a little while I would just mark inside the dimple but for the month that I did it, it never came in handy so I stopped finding it wasnt worth it. What do you guys do about the marks?

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

the sharpie comes right off the club if you are worried about it.  A damp towel will wipe it right off

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

For the most part, the Driver is the hardest club to get the sharpie off of. But I regularly and religiously clean my clubs with Dawn dish soap (including the grips) to keep them dirt/grime/grease/sharpie free. Just use an old rag or something (I use a microfiber towel) and fill up a bucket with some dish soap and warm water.

FYI: I wouldn't really recommend dipping a cavity back club into the bucket as you could shorten the life-span of the epoxy holding the branding/graphic design in the cavity. I had that happen to me with my an older set of Burners.... though most people aren't obnoxiously OCD about cleaning their clubs like I am.

Originally Posted by Brian Fergusson

Black sharpie. Black face on driver. No problem.

Nice lol.

To be honest, I don't mind the sharpie on my driver because the way I align the ball as a right hander is with the line going away from me on a 45° angle. It puts the inside to out swing path in my mind and I can also see the ink transfer to the driver most of the time. The S3 is almost "too forgiving" in that off-centered hits sometimes feel as good as hits that are dead center. Seeing the impact can sometimes help me duplicate a nice shot.

Off-topic kind of, but backing the ball marking method of a sharpie "halo" around the alignment arrows on the ball.

I put 2 red dots and 2 black dots in the shape of a cross on each side. If I'm going to send one off in the trees, it's gonna be in a spot with several others and I forget what number ball I'm using all the time so it's easier to just sit down in front of the TV and mark a dozen, throw 'em in the bag and be ready for a few rounds.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Originally Posted by slodsm

I put 2 red dots and 2 black dots in the shape of a cross on each side. If I'm going to send one off in the trees, it's gonna be in a spot with several others and I forget what number ball I'm using all the time so it's easier to just sit down in front of the TV and mark a dozen, throw 'em in the bag and be ready for a few rounds.

And then there are those mark a few dozen, throw 'em in the bag and be ready for a round. Or so I've heard.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I beg to differ.....most people remember the brand, but forget which number half the time.  Even if they remember the brand and number......and hit it......they find a different model.

^^^ This

I usually ask what everyone is playing with on the tee if I don't have or have lost my Sharpie. Still, that can lead to last Saturday's nonsense:

I walk up to my ball after a drive, see it's a PV1 #2, and begin to wait while everyone else gets to their ball. Some guy I'm playing with for the first time says, "Hey! Is that your ball?"

"Yeah, it's a black 2."

"I'm playing a black 2, too."

"I thought you were playing with a red 3?"

"I switched on the last hole. I'm SURE that's my ball. I really killed it!"

Whatever.....the guy hadn't hit a drive longer than 220 all day, but now he's picked up an additional 30+ yards? I acquiesce, go back to HIS ball...looks like he's played 40 rounds with it.... and finish the hole with it because it's just not worth arguing about. Besides, I know better and should have marked my ball...serves me right for being lazy.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• 2 weeks later...

I made a template to mark my ball with. There will be no mistaken my ball with any others

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leaf.jpg

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I made a template to mark my ball with. There will be no mistaken my ball with any others

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is rather tidy sir , a touch incriminating but very nice

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Originally Posted by shockingslicer

That is rather tidy sir , a touch incriminating but very nice

I would say it is, but I would never bring an illegal substance to the golf course so what the hey .

Sincerely, Jim

also nice man

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Hahahaha......very creative logo's!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!