IGNORED

65/20/15 Practice Ratios: Where to Devote Your Practice Time

iacas

32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I don't mean this.  Length, I suppose could be a part of it, but to me ballstriking is more than just that. 

Got it. 

She made it clear that because of the lower swing speeds of the women's team, they rarely have a problem putting the ball into play or getting into trouble. The college game (for women), in her mind, is the approach game. So they don't practice bombing it off the tee much.

Now, based on Erik's comments, perhaps they are working on hybrids, mid-irons, and short irons into the green ... and varying trajectory, shape, etc. Those are still full swing, so maybe they do it or maybe they don't. It could be a terminology thing. I'm sure to see her again and I'll definitely ask her. 

FWIW ... I read a community college training plan and it was nothing but shot shape. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

The college game (for women), in her mind, is the approach game.

That’s ballstriking!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

That’s ballstriking!

This is where his confusion lies.😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't hit my driver at the local range as much as I should, but the tee height on mats never matches my preferred height, and they moan if I use a real tee.

I do "practice" my short game a lot, at least 18 holes a week at the local par 3 course where I hit till I'm contented.. My kid goes with me and his short game is becoming quite impressive, which is good because his long game may be long, but it can also be sideways...........

14 hours ago, Esox said:

I don't hit my driver at the local range as much as I should, but the tee height on mats never matches my preferred height, and they moan if I use a real tee.

I have a few different rubber tees I keep in my bag for this. They range from 2.5 to 3.5”. Picked them up on Amazon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

36 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I have a few different rubber tees I keep in my bag for this. They range from 2.5 to 3.5”. Picked them up on Amazon.

You can also just buy a long one and trim it. I used to have one set up like that for the range I lived close to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just picked back up on this thread and I began to take inventory of how I practice.  As most of my time "practicing" is in the back yard, it is relegated to using foam balls (of varying durometers - which can be interesting).  I have to say I am close to those ratios - most of my time is on the full swing whether irons, hybrids, fairways and yes driver (that is where the softer durometer foam balls work best).  It is about equal these days on short game shots with the grandson - chip shots (7i-PW) or pitches with the wedges along with the putter to finish the hole (back yard grass can be fun to putt in).  Serious putt time is on the practice green mat that is about 9' long.  This works well with in the hall that has 6" parquet flooring.  Makes playing the 3'-6'-9' game in LSW easy to do.  Yes, flat greens are not as challenging as the undulated practice greens.  But for getting the head still, stroke consistent and listening for the ball in the cup its about perfect.  The outside practice these days is broken up to one day - full swings, next day - partial swings, putting most every day.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 7 months later...

(As I type this, I'm about a 15 handicap)

I made a comment in another thread (a member blog in which someone was talking about their aim to get to single digits).  I commented, asking where the person was losing strokes, as that should guide them towards single digits.  My thought was that if you get your typical strokes gained statistics under the 10 handicap level across the board, you almost certainly get to a single digit handicap (unless I'm very misunderstanding how amateur strokes gained data works).

I have that for strokes gained: approach, where my running average over ten regulation rounds is typically between -1 and -2, compared to a 10 handicap.  My strokes gained: driving is typically around a half to a full stroke worse than the 10 handicap level. Compared to the 10 handicap level, I typically lose at least 1.5 short game and several on putting.   

(When we use 15 handicap as a baseline, I beat my handicap by a small in driving, several in approach, I am worse by less than 1 in short game and around 3 in putting)

Now that I type that, I realize a big flaw in my plan.

What the plan had been:  continue practicing 65-20-15, especially because I am more able to do good full swing practice at home (I am very much looking forward to my next Evolvr priority piece after making a successful picture change a few weeks ago) : I have a mat, a net, and room to swing a full 6-iron (or even a 3hybrid).   This both worked for convenience and because I know long-game is good for long-term improvement. 

The big flaw in my plan:  yeah, that short game and especially putting are glaring weaknesses.  

I need to do the following:

* Re-prioritize the putting especially and some short game.  Especially putting is a glaring weakness.

* Get better at effectively practicing these at home.

Reviewing chapters 13 and 14 of LSW;  short game practice at home is hindered a bit by lack of a lawn (I suppose I could put one in my backyard, but that's a lot of expense for this, and my backyard isn't that big anyway);  I have gotten really good at the ruler drill, leading me to believe that bead isn't my fault in putting;  I should do the p.112 drill.  In fact, I'm going to put on shoes and do that right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Reviewing chapters 13 and 14 of LSW;  short game practice at home is hindered a bit by lack of a lawn (I suppose I could put one in my backyard, but that's a lot of expense for this, and my backyard isn't that big anyway); 

I have a net in the basement but only 8' ceilings.  lol.   Two weeks ago I was in my back yard pitching toward my shed and shan*ed a ball into my neighbor's pool.   I promised to never practice in the backyard again.     I have a glaring weakness in my short game and need the work.   

• Funny 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

57 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I have a net in the basement but only 8' ceilings.  lol.   Two weeks ago I was in my back yard pitching toward my shed and shan*ed a ball into my neighbor's pool.   I promised to never practice in the backyard again.     I have a glaring weakness in my short game and need the work.   

You could use foam balls and/or choose a practice area (including direction) that would ensure you aren't likely to end up in the neighbor's pool (water hazard, out of bounds).  Actually, I'm not sure, it depends how big your backyard is.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

You could use foam balls and/or choose a practice area (including direction) that would ensure you aren't likely to end up in the neighbor's pool (water hazard, out of bounds).  Actually, I'm not sure, it depends how big your backyard is.  

Yeah what @Shindig said.   I have several varieties of "practice" balls - varying durometer of foam balls and whiffle balls.  While it is not quite like hitting the real thing, they offer you the "room" to work on your short game w/out fear of broken glass and mad neighbors.....

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Love that @dennyjones optimized the neighbor's water hazard.  Using foam balls like @Shindig said is a good way to avoid splashdowns in neighborhood pools - more like plop and drift.....

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Two weeks ago I was in my back yard pitching toward my shed and shan*ed a ball into my neighbor's pool. 

Did you use a ball retriever or take a brief swim to get your ball back?

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Did you use a ball retriever or take a brief swim to get your ball back?

Pool days are great!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 5 months later...

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do it yet. I have some thoughts. But I am going to commit myself to the 65/20/15 plan. 
In 2021 I used the 100/0/0 plan. 

I think I can honestly say in 2021 I hit fewer than a dozen chip shots or pitch shots that were not during a round of golf. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think I can honestly say in 2021 I hit fewer than a dozen chip shots or pitch shots that were not during a round of golf. 

You must be either really good at chipping and pitching or really bad.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

53 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You must be either really good at chipping and pitching or really bad.

Oddly, neither. 

But there's a lot of low hanging fruit there. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do it yet. I have some thoughts. But I am going to commit myself to the 65/20/15 plan. 

I was more like 85/10/5. I rarely did much putting practice during the season.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Looking back - based on how I reported in the 5 mins daily thread, I was somewhere around 40 / 50 / 10 in terms of practice ratios.  I tend to work more on the partial swing stuff (pitches, chips, etc) and it has led me to be more consistent around the green.  I have followed it closely with full swings work.  I know the biggest gain I can make to my game next year is GIR….this past year I “averaged” 4 per round, best round was 9.  If I double the average to 8, using the formula 95-(2 X GIR), that would put my predicted score in the “breaking 80” range.  I could dig that!  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star