IGNORED

Any experience buying clubs on eBay?

Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm seriously considering picking up a set of irons on eBay, but im kinda nervous about shelling out $500 dollars on something that may not be worth a durn. So has anyone bought a set on there? How did that experience work for you? Thanks
BTW, the seller has a 100% approval rating off of like 1500 votes.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

Originally Posted by meenman

http://thesandtrap.com/search.php?search=clubs+ebay

Thanks! I always forget about the search function for topics lol

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

I'd worry a bit about the clubs fitting and the lie angle and such.

Anyway, it looks like you know to check out a sellers feedback before buying, here are a couple other ideas as far as eBay buying in general goes:

If you have a question about an item, go to another of the seller's listings and ask the question from there. This will add a bit of work for the seller, if they want to add your question and their answer to the item description page. Maybe other interested buyers will not bother to ask a question, instead just continuing to look for a similar item that already has the question answered in the item description.

If you see an item that you want listed in either auction or "Buy It Now" format, send the seller a message asking if they will accept $x to and the listing and sell to you now. some sellers are impatient so telling them that they'd not have to wait for the listing to end, you'd send the money right away as soon as they accepted. All they can do is say no, and you could still bid or "Buy It Now" anyway.

If it's an auction and they say no, and you want to bid, use a sniping service such as Bidball.com to bid for you. It’ll bid in the last few seconds, helping to save you $ and avoid shill bidding.

If there is a particular item that you want that is relatively rare on eBay or goes fast when one is listed, use ebuyersedge.com to set up a saved eBay search for it. You’d get an e-mail whenever a match is listed. You can use the price, category, exclude word, etc. filters to filter out nonrelevant results  that you'd get in the e-mails. Excellent for “Buy It Now”s priced right.

A bit of a longshot, but if the item that you’re looking for is difficult to spell, try a misspelling search site like Typojoe.com to find some deals with items that have main keywords misspelled in the title. Other interested buyers may never see them.

I bought my Mizuno MP 57's off ebay a few years ago and had no issues what so ever.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

I bought Mizuno MX25's years ago but I already knew my shaft type, length and club I was interested in. I ended up on ebay because they had offered me the best price. if you don't already know the specs of your club, i would suggest paying 20 - 50 dollars at your local golf center to find the clubs you want and make sure you are sized to them before investing on ebay, of course, if they are cheaper than your local shop.

If you are worried about buying fakes, ask the seller for the serial number. Then check with the manufacturer to see if they are real. I have done this before, and the manufacturer was very helpful.

I bought a set of Callaway x-22 tours off there a month ago. They were as described. Took a little while to get them there but was worth the price.

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

Ive bought most of the clubs Ive owned off of Ebay and have had mostly good luck with it.  A big thing is to check a person's feedback.  If they are lower than 99.9%, check the feedback and see what kind of comments people leave.  Sometimes buyers are idiots and give a seller bad feedback for no good reason.

If it seems too good to be true though, it probably is.  Buying on Ebay is fine, you just need to be smart about it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Bought a nearly mint R7 driver with a post market Aldila shaft on it over the winter.  Got to meet the buyer in person though since he was a power seller based near me, so I got to see the club before actually finalizing the deal.  Club was exactly as advertised, still hitting the ball well after 6-8 months.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently got back into the game, and bought from 2 different vendors.

Had a great experience both times. If you shop well, you can get great deals. I bought a demo Cobra L5V used, with no headcover for 33$ shipped. I finally managed to hit it correctly this weekend. For the price, I couldn't be happier!

Just make sure the vendor has great feedback, and ask as much question as necessary.

Im an avid user of ebay for other things (mostly i buy and sell jackets on ebay) and i notice how much fake crap is in that catagory, so i was a bit nervous to buy golf clubs, however i decided to take the plunge.

i bought a titleist vokey wedge from ebay last week, looked pretty real from pics and googled to try to be sure it was real.  Well turned up yesterday and still thought it was real went on the golf course and i was pretty sure it was fake, shaft felt terrible! even though clubhead actually felt fine.  Anyway opened a dispute and seller instantly refunded money - so im pretty convinced it was fake now.

Basically I would say just be very careful and always do a bit of background on whatever your buying to find out how to spot the fakers!, also its nice to know if it comes down to it your protected by paypal in the event something goes wrong :)

I've bought and sold a lot of clubs off of eBay in the last 10 years. Everyone has posted good advice, one other thing I look at is the photos, if they are stock photos, I tend to shy away from them, actually photos show the club and that the seller is serious about selling. I have also noticed a trend on eBay, there are a lot more golf specific sellers, I just bought a hybrid that looked brand new from a pro shop in MN. Pretty good chance the club is real and not a fake, so do a little research on the seller and you should be fine.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I bought my whole bag from ebay. The only thing I would make sure, is that it's an actual seller and not someone like global golf. Make sure they have good enough pictures to where you can see the condition of the clubs, including the grooves. I bought all of my clubs, probably worth close to a g spot, for 500 and they are all in great condition minus my lob wedge which I paid $20 bucks for because I was desperate, haha.

All in all, you can get a good deal, just be weary and make sure you do your research.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I had been playing the same set of Ping Eye 2's and Taylor Made Metal woods for 25 years.  Then one day a few months ago I took some practice swings on the range with my brother-in-law's new set of MB712's.  I didn't expect to hit them so well but they seemed very natural to me.  So I decided to hunt down a set of used MBs.  I found a 2 yr old set of 710s on the Bay that the owner was selling so he could upgrade to the new 712s.  He also included his 585 #2 hybrid in the sale.  I ended up paying 1/3 the price of a new set of 712s and received them 4 days after the auction closed.  All clean and in great condition.  So I've been hitting the new-to-me clubs for the last couple of months and have added another hybrid and a 904 3 wood to the bag (also from similar auctions) along with a new (used) putter and a new (new) driver.  I went ahead and got a new cart bag (Nike) through Amazon to replace my old, heavy tour bag and am so glad I got the new bag.  It's better designed, lighter, etc.   And purchased a new Nike 10.5 driver, which I'm really liking.  My old metal driver seems like a miniature club head compared to the new drivers. And I'm hitting better drives with it so no complaints at all.  I'm still working on distancing all the new clubs but am hitting them straight and enjoying the game again.

PS:  I've accumulated approx 250 transactions on Ebay, both selling and buying, and have yet to have a bad experience.  If you do your research on the item and seller, and know what you're bidding on, it helps achieve a good transaction.  Plus there are so many brick and mortar sellers on the system now that you can usually find what you're looking for from a store that lists excess inventory on the site.  I bought my new driver via that method...brick and mortar golf shop that sold for close to a 40% discount thru their Ebay store.

• 7 months later...
Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!