IGNORED

Heel Shots / Shanks

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi... I posted a few weeks ago with my swing and my problem of shanking the ball.  After seeing an instructor we noticed a few things that I changed.  I was getting disconnected and swinging out instead of in/in.  This was exposing the hosel and it was making me hit some wicked shanks.  After hitting a bunch of balls and changing some things, I noticed that I am hitting the ball just left of the sweet spot towards the hosel. I had impact tape on the club so I knew that is where it his hitting the face.  Granted the balls were my normal iron distance with a slight draw, the impact was a little too close to the hosel for my comfort.  Could my clubs not be fitted correctly?  Right now they are 1 degree flat.  Could that be causing the ball to hit close to the heel?  My guess it is still my swing, but i thought there might be an issue of a poorly fitted club.

Brad

Originally Posted by zimmerbz

Hi... I posted a few weeks ago with my swing and my problem of shanking the ball.  After seeing an instructor we noticed a few things that I changed.  I was getting disconnected and swinging out instead of in/in.  This was exposing the hosel and it was making me hit some wicked shanks.  After hitting a bunch of balls and changing some things, I noticed that I am hitting the ball just left of the sweet spot towards the hosel. I had impact tape on the club so I knew that is where it his hitting the face.  Granted the balls were my normal iron distance with a slight draw, the impact was a little too close to the hosel for my comfort.  Could my clubs not be fitted correctly?  Right now they are 1 degree flat.  Could that be causing the ball to hit close to the heel?  My guess it is still my swing, but i thought there might be an issue of a poorly fitted club.

Brad

I think you may still be working on the swing correction.  It will take time.  At some point if you continue to work on it, you'll probably notice a few toe shots.  Then another correction will have to be made.  I guess that's golf.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by zimmerbz

Brad

I went through a phase of hitting the heel/hosel years ago.  I discovered that I was standing too far away from the ball (in a misguided attempt to manufacture and inside-out swing path), and ended up over-compensating and reaching for the ball, causing heel/hosel contact.

I corrected it by correcting my distance to the ball AND intentionally trying to hit the toe of the club for a while.  At first, to my surprise, what I expected to be a toe shot and some club twisting in my hand was still slightly inside center face.  But, in a short time, I was able to re-ingrain a proper stance and swing path and cured the problem.

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!