IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

I like that Phil has a typo in his pledge to reduce the amount of typos in his posts. :-P

**** you too. :-) It says new year resolution 2015. It is not 2015 yet. ;-)

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This passes the spelling and grammar test but not the makes sense test. Drink to excess vs access. http://m.espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=12444415&src;=desktop&rand;=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geoffshackelford.com%2F%22%7D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My bi**h shots are bi**hing. ;-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My bi**h shots are bi**hing.

Dem short bitches are rollers....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
@Golfingdad, @tristanhilton85, @Bechambo and myself played today at the North course at Torrey Pines.

Sharing some pics to make everyone jealous.

Not jealous of your bad grammar @mvmac ! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Joe.  Not only do you have some misconceptions about the Rules of Golf, but your taking Turtleback to task  about ending a sentence with a preposition is both unnecessary (arguably rude) and misleading.    There are many instances where avoiding a sentence with a preposition would result in a cumbersome and overly complicated construction.  If you don't like that, it's just an acceptable  feature of the language you'll have to put up with.

Do you really think I should have written,  "If you don't like that, it's just an acceptable  feature of the language up with which you'll have to put"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post

Joe.  Not only do you have some misconceptions about the Rules of Golf, but your taking Turtleback to task  about ending a sentence with a preposition is both unnecessary (arguably rude) and misleading.    There are many instances where avoiding a sentence with a preposition would result in a cumbersome and overly complicated construction.  If you don't like that, it's just an acceptable  feature of the language you'll have to put up with.

Do you really think I should have written,  "If you don't like that, it's just an acceptable  feature of the language up with which you'll have to put"?

There is a great story about Winston Churchill (possibly apocryphal) and an aide who corrected an ending preposition in a draft of a memorandum.  Winston angrily scrawled in the margin, as he replaced the aide's "correction" with his original phrasing, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!"

As to Joe's correction of my grammar, that is OK.  The minute someone starts correcting your grammar on the internet you know you have already won the argument and that is all they have.

Joe's problem is that when he says "As far as I am concerned, XXXX" the logical inference is that this is his understanding of what the rules ARE, not his argument for what he thinks the rules SHOULD BE.  It really is not that hard to make the distinction but he didn't.

Joe's other problem is that his depth of understanding of English grammar is on par with his depth of understanding of the rules of grammar.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/

Quote:

To sum up, the deferring of prepositions sounds perfectly natural and is part of standard English. Once you start moving the prepositions to their supposed ‘correct’ positions you find yourself with very stilted or even impossible sentences. Well-established and famous writers over the years, such as George Orwell , Anthony Burgess , and Julian Barnes, have been blithely stranding their prepositions to no ill effect: please feel free to go and do likewise!

Finally, a prepositional joke, courtesy of reddit.com :

A snobbish English teacher was sitting in an Atlanta airport coffee shop waiting for her flight back to Connecticut, when a friendly Southern belle sat down next to her.

‘Where y’all goin’ to?’ asked the Southern belle.

Turning her nose in the air, the snob replied ‘I don’t answer people who end their sentences with prepositions’.

The Southern belle thought a moment, and tried again. ‘Where y’all goin’ to, bitch?’

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

There is a great story about Winston Churchill (possibly apocryphal) and an aide who corrected an ending preposition in a draft of a memorandum.  Winston angrily scrawled in the margin, as he replaced the aide's "correction" with his original phrasing, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!"

Joe's other problem is that his depth of understanding of English grammar is on par with his depth of understanding of the rules of grammar.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/

See my post in this thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/80791/a-question-on-wording/18

See my post in this thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/80791/a-question-on-wording/18

I did see it and thought that somehow my link had gotten cross-connected with your post.  I was SOOO confused.

But as it is, great minds think alike.

And in this case, so apparently do ours.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by skydog View Post

Yes, most of the working class tour guys are tee'ing it up this week...

:blink:

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
and a bottle of win for the grown-ups.

Did you get that from Charlie Sheen?

Just a typo but I put it here anyway. I like when typos still make words.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did you get that from Charlie Sheen? Just a typo but I put it here anyway. I like when typos still make words.

Ha! I'm not a wino, I'm a winner!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by disco111

The difference between the two is that in baseball, what they allowed and then changed was because they wanted more scoring and home runs, thus making the game more popular and filling the stands, which in turn meant more revenue. In essence, it made for a playing field that was no longer a dominate factor for pitchers and was supposed to equal the playing field. In golf, it's the opposite. The playing field was for all intensive purposes, equal for those using the putter and now since it's taken away, that equality, if it ever was there is now gone. That putter, regardless of stroke clarification, didn't influence the ball in the same respect as the spit ball did.

As for needed to step in because of popularity, there were only a hand full, if that, that used it, but when Scott won the Master's, that looked like the launching pad against it and I'm still of the opinion that outside voices (On Tour and Senior Tour and a couple of heavy weights that shall remain nameless) were extremely vocal to the RB's and was very influential in helping the RB's with their final determination. OK, I've voiced my opinion and I'm sticking to it. You have your's and I respect that, so we'll agree to dis-agree.....

Hehe.  To be fair, though, I actually say this (on purpose - cuz I'm a dork) all of the time.  Maybe he was doing the same.