dak4n6

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally Posted by zeg

To be fair, the first two of those have some reasonable logic behind them. The New York Times only recently (~ 2006) stopped using an apostrophe after decades, and the acronym is a reasonable, if unnecessary, extension of the rules for plural letters (now only for lower case plural letters, at least according to the Chicago Manual of Style). Those two don't bother me so much because of that---they're more arbitrary than mixing up "it's" and "its."

Although given the uses of apostrophes they have no place in denoting a decade of a plural. Neither are contractions or indicating possession.

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

Some are difficult. What would the plural of TaylorMade R11S be? R11Ss? R11S's?

My choice: try to reword the sentence to avoid it.

I don't see why it's difficult. A plural requires an 's' on the end, not an apostrophe.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Originally Posted by Fraser

Although given the uses of apostrophes they have no place in denoting a decade of a plural. Neither are contractions or indicating possession.

Well, apostrophes do have legitimate uses in plurals. Per the Chicago Manual of Style, lower-case letters and abbreviations with either 2+ periods or mixed case all form plurals with apostrophes. ("x's and y's," "M.A.'s and Ph.D's," and "MAs and PhD's.")

Although I don't see a rule for abbreviations like R11S, it's hard to argue against the possibility of confusion (I didn't realize they'd released the R11Ss already!). Since the purpose of punctuation is to reduce confusion, that sort of use isn't crazy---even if technically incorrect, it is analogous to other exceptions to the usual "contraction or possessive" usage.

The rules are not simple enough to make all apostrophe errors objects of ridicule. While "its" and "it's" come up often enough, not everyone is up on the details of their style manual.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Quote:

Happy fathers day Josh531 I google hiting someone with a golf ball and I am seeing where people are starting to sue people and no I am not into sueing someone but if you can see me like on a par 3 where we all should be able to hit the ball to the green or close to the green and you hurt me I am going to sue you or we are going to court and I am going to try and deep in that back pocket if you hit the ball off of a tee box and it comes over and hits me and you yell fore most times they are far apart that I should have time to get out of the way or it's not going to be that hard by the time it gets to me I am not looking for the ones that accidentally hit you I am wanting to get rid of the ones who can see you and hit the ball and know they can hit the ball that far because they think you are slow playing

I forgot about this gem. This is the literary equivalent to white noise.

Or maybe William Faulkner has risen from the dead and is posting on TST?

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I forgot about this gem. This is the literary equivalent to white noise.

Or maybe William Faulkner has risen from the dead and is posting on TST?

Wow. I'm out of breath from running on so long.

• Administrator

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to go ahead and call myself out on one.

"Pom Tree" ha ha. I took some flack for it during my post . I was going for "Palm Tree" as I'm sure everyone new lol.

The one guys said " I don't see any Pomegranate trees?" lol

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I'm going to go ahead and call myself out on one.

"Pom Tree" ha ha. I took some flack for it during my post . I was going for "Palm Tree" as I'm sure everyone new lol.

The one guys said " I don't see any Pomegranate trees?" lol

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by iacas

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Damn, I actually need to learn almost everything on this poster board ha ha. For the sake of myself and fellow readers, I will take some time to study this board . Maybe even read up on some more common English knowledge. My posts can be hard to read at times, and believe me, they where even harder to write. If it wasn't for spell check, they would look much worse. Plus, spell checker doesn't fix things like.... "Track meat" oops ha ha. I was trying to spell track meet, obviously.

Sincerely, Jim

Plus, spell checker doesn't fix things like.... "Track meat" oops ha ha. I was trying to spell track meet, obviously.

I just assumed you had ordered some Omaha Steaks and were tracking the shipping. Mmmm.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

So I was stunned to see that Michael Clarke Duncan passed away.  Then in the comments section of the article I tried (and failed) to make sense of this:

Quote:
i dnt understand him dead wow why it happen heart attack wow . micheal clarke is 54 years old wow is young small wow i think alwys thier person dead my god i angry think foods not good or smoke it aganist to smoke other it things that.and just think in usa not good foods it .

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Chimpanze typing on a computer is all I can think of.

Who is Michael Clarke Duncan?

The huge actor with the big smile from movies like Armageddon, The Green Mile and Talladega Nights.

Oh, that guy. What a shame.

There's a new poster who is lacing his posts with links to 'discount' golf clubs. Probably counterfeit. But, he is a wonderful source of phrases that leave you stupified:

Quote:

Our pursuit of the ball target is the maximum speed from the head is transmitted to the ball, that is, the maximum precision rate: the ball is divided by the ratio of the clubhead speed.

I love the part about the ball being divided..

dak4n6

Nothing makes me want to buy a new product more than poor grammar.  It creates a tremendous amount of confidence in the product's supporters