IGNORED

How often do you encounter people who smoke a joint during a round?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also if you want proof that an attorney can be disbarred for illegal drug use, go ahead and google "attorney disbarred for drug use".  Lots of relevant links come up.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I said you can be disbarred for ethics violations.  Illegal drug use is an ethics violation.  I used the word may.  You should learn how to read.  You're making a fool of yourself in this thread.  I know you want to desperately believe that there are no consequences for illegal drug use, but you are mistaken.

Please show me one disciplinary action by a board of bar overseers disbarring an attorney for a simple marijuana conviction in this milenium.  I'll give you some help:  It does not exist.  You cannot be disbarred based on a single conviction of simple possession of marijuana.  Whomever told you that is an idiot, and you are a fool for believing them.  (the only instance where marijuana is mentioned in a disbarment hearing that I could find involved a Georgia judge who was accused of abuse of power and a number of other ethics violations.)

You're obviously not an attorney, and certainly not a defense attorney.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

If you want proof that using illegal drugs and failing drug tests at employers can cost you your job, there are MANY examples.  That cannot be argued.  The license debate is just stupid.  Again, the point is it is risking your job and livelihood for many people.  Certainly not all - congrats, that is true - but many.

Some idiots just don't smoke weed...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Please show me one disciplinary action by a board of bar overseers disbarring an attorney for a simple marijuana conviction in this milenium.  I'll give you some help:  It does not exist.  You cannot be disbarred based on a single conviction of simple possession of marijuana.  Whomever told you that is an idiot, and you are a fool for believing them.  (the only instance where marijuana is mentioned in a disbarment hearing that I could find involved a Georgia judge who was accused of abuse of power and a number of other ethics violations.)

You're obviously not an attorney, and certainly not a defense attorney.

You are laughable.  Look in post above yours.  Smoke away pal, but there are consequences.

Also if you want proof that an attorney can be disbarred for illegal drug use, go ahead and google "attorney disbarred for drug use".  Lots of relevant links come up.

Haven't found any for marijuana this milenium.

Found a marijuana one from south dakota in the 1980's.  Found an illegal drug one from Minnesota in the 1990's for a meth abuser who violated his probation by continued drug use.  Found one in Washington for selling drugs.  Found one in Cincinnati for an attorney's role in a large prescription pill distribution conspiracy.

Don't go around spreading lies about marijuana.  Henry Anslinger and Nancy Regan have done enough of that.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

So please show me the professional license that is revoked upon a simple possession of marijuana conviction.  I am unaware of any, and I think anybody who says that they could have their professional license revoked based solely on a marijuana possession conviction is not being honest with us.

My wife is a nurse and it is in her emploee contract that she can defly lose her license. She can also lose it for a DUI. Now please tell us all once again how that's false because YOU'RE unaware of it.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't found any for marijuana this milenium.

Found a marijuana one from south dakota in the 1980's.  Found an illegal drug one from Minnesota in the 1990's for a meth abuser who violated his probation by continued drug use.  Found one in Washington for selling drugs.  Found one in Cincinnati for an attorney's role in a large prescription pill distribution conspiracy.

Don't go around spreading lies about marijuana.  Henry Anslinger and Nancy Regan have done enough of that.

Oh now you're just not trying.  We all get it, you like to smoke weed and think there should be no consequences for it.  But that doesn't make it true.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

My wife is a nurse and it is in her emploee contract that she can defly lose her license. She can also lose it for a DUI. Now please tell us all once again how that's false because YOU'RE unaware of it.

I wouldn't waste your time like I already have.  Potheads don't like being told that they can get into trouble for smoking pot.  I imagine, next he'll go into all the wonderful medical purposes for pot and try to explain why there are no other drugs that can duplicate it's healthful effects.

Mr3Wiggle, please post a link citing an attorney being disbarred for a simple marijuana possession conviction in the past dozen years.

What's in the bag

I wouldn't waste your time like I already have.  Potheads don't like being told that they can get into trouble for smoking pot.  I imagine, next he'll go into all the wonderful medical purposes for pot and try to explain why there are no other drugs that can duplicate it's healthful effects.

I actually enjoy smoking pot and in the job that I have, I don't have to worry about being tested. That guy's ignorant statements are totally ridiculous though.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

You cannot be disbarred for a simple marijuana conviction.  The ethics violations relating to criminal conduct have to be felonies or crimes involving moral terpitude. Simple marijuana possession doesn't qualify.

You can be disbarred (or more like, temporarily suspended) by a showing of being unfit to practice (similar to the language of the professional surveyor's license), but that requires a greater showing than a simple marijuana possession.  Simply using marijuana is not an ethical violation.  Go read your cannons of professional responsibility again if you took that away from your first read.

In fact, a majority of jurisdictions wouldn't even require you to report a simple marijuana conviction to their board of bar overseers.

Lots of assumptions here about the extent to which one can be punished for marijuana, but most of them are grossly overstated.  Most states actually treat marijuana similarly to having an open container of beer or being caught taking a piss on a sidewalk.

You are just completely lost and refuse to admit you are 100% wrong. Its not just professional licenses, either. I know people who have been suspended from work for a first time offense of having pot in their system. It is a felony to posess marijauna, and MANY professions and workplaces have the right to terminate for a failed drug test. Especially at will work states.

Nowasays, you usually have to give them a single chance to clean up, except as I said, in an at will state. Nevada is a state where posession of a single joint can lead to jail time. Its a criminal charge, a felony, and many can and have lost jobs over pot.

I dont know where you get this dumb ****ing idea that something thats illegal is not a crime. Its not a simple ticket, its a felony charge, and it stays on your record. So please, stop with your bullshit until you either get a shred of evidence to what you are saying, or realize you are 100% wrong.

Again, I am an occasional smoker, and am all for legalization. So dont try to come at me with the 'you dont understand because you blindly hate it' bullshit. Posessing and using Marijauna is a crime. Not a misnomenor, a FEDERAL CRIME, in most of the USA and all of Canada.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Somebody claims that they wouldlose their professional license (land surveyor) if they got caught smoking pot.  This is false. I challenged that.  And now I am 100% wrong?  Got it.

Apoc, a private company drug testing is not the same as losing a professional license.  Sorry that you cannot read well.

possession of marijuana is not a felony in any state that I know of.  (not Nevada, as NRS 453.336 is not a felony, and is not punishable by jail; and not federally, as 21 USC s844 is a misdemeanor)

More misinformation being disseminated here.  But go ahead and call me dumb or wrong or an idiot.

What's in the bag

Somebody claims that they wouldlose their professional license (land surveyor) if they got caught smoking pot.  This is false. I challenged that.  And now I am 100% wrong?  Got it.

Apoc, a private company drug testing is not the same as losing a professional license.  Sorry that you cannot read well.

possession of marijuana is not a felony in any state that I know of.  (not Nevada, as NRS 453.336 is not a felony, and is not punishable by jail; and not federally, as 21 USC s844 is a misdemeanor)

More misinformation being disseminated here.  But go ahead and call me dumb or wrong or an idiot.

I said I COULD lose it if I were convicted of anything.  This is not false.  The laws you have posted yourself clearly state that this is a POSSIBLE outcome of a conviction for drug use.

strikeone, you could lose your license if you were deemed to be impaired to the point of being unable to do your job effectively due to drug use.  You cannot lose your license for a simple marijuana conviction.  There is a difference.  Sorry for trying to be accurate in the face of your misinformation.

Now lets wait for apoc's ridiculous response to: Posessing and using Marijauna is a crime. Not a misnomenor, a FEDERAL CRIME, in most of the USA and all of Canada.

What's in the bag

strikeone, you could lose your license if you were deemed to be impaired to the point of being unable to do your job effectively due to drug use.  You cannot lose your license for a simple marijuana conviction.  There is a difference.  Sorry for trying to be accurate in the face of your misinformation.

Now lets wait for apoc's ridiculous response to:   Posessing and using Marijauna is a crime. Not a misnomenor, a FEDERAL CRIME, in most of the USA and all of Canada.

The bottom line is..If I am convicted it is then THE BOARD'S decision as to whether or not usage hinders my ability.  Have you ever sat in front of a board of licensure?  A decision is not always based on thorough research into an individual.  If the board were to decide that they did not believe that my conviction was a one time deal, my license could be revoked.  Sure, I could go through an appeal process afterward to get reinstated based on the fact that they had no evidence of prior usage, but my career would be marred from that point forward.  Even a suspension never gets taken off of your record.  You read that law however you want.  I'll read it how I want.  I'm not a lawyer, and based on what I've seen I assume you aren't either.  Let's leave interpretation up to those who excel in it.

With that I am going to make an attempt to withdraw from this conversation.  I sincerely apologize to everybody in this thread for a simple statement that I made being blown up into this.  I'm new to the forum, and I don't want to be known as the guy who came on here starting shit right off the bat.

Clearly MrSandman's overstating his case.  But I think this partly has to do with what state you live in.  In my state (California), possession of marijuana under an ounce is a infraction, ie, the same as a speeding ticket, so doesn't go on your criminal record.  Also, except under pretty stringent special circumstances, random drug testing is illegal in California and you can only be drug tested once after you've been offered a job but before you start.  So the point is, MrSandman's arguments are pretty much right in California.

@ApocG10, you're wrong about Nevada.  Possession there of under an ounce is decriminalized, which I believe means it's not even a misdemeanor, more like an infraction.  Possession of under one ounce has been fully decriminalized in California, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio, North Carolina, New York, Massachusetts, and Maine.  In no state is possession of under an ounce a felony, and possession rises to a felony at one ounce only in a few very states

But there are tons of other states where possession of even a small amount of marijuana, say a single joint, is a misdemeanor that goes on your record, which makes it harder or impossible to hide from employers or licensing boards and therefore definitely makes it an issue.

Though of course I'd still say that it's generally lame to treat it any different from a cigarette on a personal level on the course.  It's lame to sit in a cart or stand right next to someone with a cigarette, so any cigarette smoker who isn't lame will smoke away from other non-smokers.  Same goes with a joint, maybe with the considerate distance a bit further.  If you're paired with someone who discretely takes a few drags from a joint on their own while they're walking to their tee shot clearly away from anyone else in the group and have put it out by the time they're near any other player and you have a problem with that, you're paranoid or lame.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The bottom line is that the board cannot revoke your license based solely on a marijuana possession conviction.  There must be other elements to show that you have an impairment that hinders your ability to work.  And yes, I have sat on many administrative hearings and court proceedings for drug related charges and licensing issues.  I have had hundreds of cases involving drug charges, both misdemeanor and felonies, state and federal.  I have never even had a marijuana charge stick as a freaking misdemeanor, always a violation or dismissal, nevermind have one go down as a felony or include jail time or cause someone to lose a professional license (although the nurse one is a good example of one that could cause problems).

Your simple statement was wrong and painted marijuana in a worse light than it actually is. You talk big on the dangers of marijuana, but it is nothing more than fear mongering propaganda.  You were not straight forward with us in your comment.

What's in the bag

The bottom line is that the board cannot revoke your license based solely on a marijuana possession conviction.  There must be other elements to show that you have an impairment that hinders your ability to work.  And yes, I have sat on many administrative hearings and court proceedings for drug related charges and licensing issues.  I have had hundreds of cases involving drug charges, both misdemeanor and felonies, state and federal.  I have never even had a marijuana charge stick as a freaking misdemeanor, always a violation or dismissal, nevermind have one go down as a felony or include jail time or cause someone to lose a professional license (although the nurse one is a good example of one that could cause problems).

Your simple statement was wrong and painted marijuana in a worse light than it actually is. You talk big on the dangers of marijuana, but it is nothing more than fear mongering propaganda.  You were not straight forward with us in your comment.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I'm trying to put "fear mongering propoganda" about marijuana out there.  I simply made a statement that I still stand by.  I honestly don't care if people use it or not.  I don't.  It doesn't affect my life in the least.  I just won't use it, and I don't want to be around people who do.  I wouldn't smoke a ciggarette next to you if you didn't like it, and I would expect the same courtesy from someone who wanted to light up a joint.

I don't think you're doing any favors for the marijuana supporters out there by handling this the way you are, but whatever.  No skin off my back.  I'm trying to remind myself that the majority of people who use it have the common sense to be discreet about it and not try to shove it down my throat that there's nothing wrong with it (despite the fact that it is an ILLEGAL drug).  I'm sincerely hoping I can manage that so that I don't have to stop talking to half my friends.  I don't know how else to say it so that you'll understand.  I could give a rat's ass if you want to smoke it, I'm just not going to stand next to you while you do.  There are potential repercussions for me PERSONALLY, whether it have to do with my license or not, so I don't want to be near it.  It's a PERSONAL decision that should be taken at face value.  Instead you have tried to take that and turn it into something it never was.

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!