IGNORED

How often do you encounter people who smoke a joint during a round?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by nevets88

I also want to note, as the OP, the pair I encountered were *NOT* underachievers in the standard sense, but wall street/financial types. So not your typical slacker stoner. I am on the east coast.

I forgot to mention they broke out their mini bongs, so not completely discrete.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I get out to play a decent amount (more than most professionals). I just don't encounter that type of person very often.

Do you play with randoms?

Do you dress like a golf nerd?  If so, the pot heads might be more discreet about it.

How often do you encounter people toking in your life in general?  Maybe you don't really know it is even happening.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by lostmyballs

Anyone with personal experience care to weigh in regarding what aspects of the game it helps, and which it hurts?

It definitely relaxes you and can slow down your tempo on your full shots.  Some people will hit the ball better because of this when they are a little stoned.

It impairs you a bit on the precision of some shots (approach shots and such).  That 110 yd wedge that you can stick inside of 10 feet might end up being a 20-30 foot putt more often.  That chip that you might be able to get to within 3 feet might end up being 12 feet.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by Shot 1

well....if we 're playing for $, I let them smoke and about half way thru the round I show them my badge.......

The rest of the match seems to go my way.

That sounds really cool.

You don't have insecurity issues now, do you?

What's in the bag

Originally Posted by lostmyballs

Anyone with personal experience care to weigh in regarding what aspects of the game it helps, and which it hurts?

The thing about "Swing Doctor" (For me at least), is that it can go either way. Most times it slows me down enough to help since I have a tendency to get to quick. Sometimes though, it causes me to lose all focus and I'm spraying the ball everywhere. Fortunately, that tends not to be the case most times.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Do you play with randoms?

Do you dress like a golf nerd?  If so, the pot heads might be more discreet about it.

How often do you encounter people toking in your life in general?  Maybe you don't really know it is even happening.

I'm not sure what you mean by "golf nerd" there, but I would assume that Erik does dress in "golf attire" - being that he is an instructor and works in the industry. Would you say that a city worker/garbage man dresses like a bum?

I'm pretty sure the guy in khakis and a tucked in golf polo will not be the one to stand out like a sore thumb on a golf course, unless he's wearing LoudMouth attire. It's typically the guys in jeans or jorts that get people turning their heads and drawing negative attention. I personally do not care if someone wears jeans or the Billy Ray Cyrus jorts on the course. Do your thing! It's just not my thing.

Golf nerds take it beyond just proper attire.  They take it to the next level.

Defining a golf nerd is sort of like defining obscenity.  It is difficult to give a set definition, but you know it when you see it.

What's in the bag

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Golf nerds take it beyond just proper attire.  They take it to the next level.

Though kind of tough to avoid if you buy any name brand golf clothing. Almost all of it is brandished with logos and tends to be bright colors. The hats, shoes and belts can be a little over the top and an attempt can be made to tone that down. Personally I can't imagine not wearing actual golf duds to play anymore. Todays golf specific performance fabrics make getting out there more comfortable than it used to be, especially when temps are anything but mild.

Dave :-)

I think it's funny how some ppl say they encounter it all the time and some have never seen it.  It's totally because (most) weed smokers can usually tell thier own kind and won't do it in front of you if you don't seem like the type.  If you see it all the time . .you might look like a stoner, lol.

• Administrator
Do you play with randoms? Do you dress like a golf nerd?  If so, the pot heads might be more discreet about it. How often do you encounter people toking in your life in general?  Maybe you don't really know it is even happening.

[quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/59516/how-often-do-you-encounter-people-who-smoke-a-joint-during-a-round/0_100#post_729276"]I've seen how Erik dresses on the course. He dresses like a professional golfer. Since he is. [/quote] I don't play with random people very often, no. I typically know who I'm playing with. The question asked what it asked, and so I can only answer given my experiences. If I always played with the same foursome of guys and they never smoked pot, I'd have to say "nope, never" to answer the question. I know when it's happening. It happened a LOT more frequently when I was single and living in Florida than it does now that I live with my step-daughter and wife, who is a teacher. And nope, I don't dress like a golf nerd, but thanks for your concern. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have seen several people smoke during a round, but it's still a pretty rare sight, even on the cheapest of golf courses.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think different courses (muni versus private) and locations (california versus most other states) probably plays just as large a role. And yeah your friends also make a huge difference.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I think it's funny how some ppl say they encounter it all the time and some have never seen it.  It's totally because (most) weed smokers can usually tell thier own kind and won't do it in front of you if you don't seem like the type.  If you see it all the time . .you might look like a stoner, lol.

My wife gets poly'd every couple of years so frankly no illegal anything  in the house.  The poly she takes lasts all freakin day too.  So anything that can jeopardize that is off limits.  She is in the fight for the war on terror amongst other things and that is a good thing and am proud of her.  thanks

I have a semi-regular group of guys I play with who are all weed smokers.  It neither seems to help nor hurt their games, but on those rare occasions I've ever taken a cermonial toke, I completely fall apart for about 30 minutes.  Funny stuff, like not remembering how to grip the club properly, or all of a sudden having a rash of topped tee shots...things a low handicapper doesn't typically do.

The argument about legality/illegality is a bit specious, there are plenty of things that are technically illegal that law abiders do every day.  I don't mean the gentleman who's apparently married to Uncle Sam, but they could change the law tomorrow and it wouldn't make the act of smoking weed any more or less morally reprehensible.  Keep it in your world, and keep it away from my kids.  Other than that I don't much care.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

When I didn't have a job worth losing, I would every time I got on the course. It didn't effect my swing and I putted a heck of a lot better.

But now, I just can't risk it.

If it were legal, **** yes I would get stoned every day. But until then, nope.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

im a stoner golf nerd love all the clothes and shit , my pal says im only in it for the fashion but i love this game

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!