IGNORED

Golf Writer Takes on US Open Course

Note: This thread is 3268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is strange, too:

Playing the tees Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson and all the others played on Sunday except for four – our group wasn't about to tackle the sixth hole from 488 yards, for instance, but did play from 465

Why?  I thought the whole point was to see how tough it was.  Why is it crazy to play the 6th from 488 but not crazy to play the 1st from 5-something?  And 465 is only 23 yards closer.  And 6 holes is a lot of holes - why doesn't the author say which holes they shortened and how much?

And then he goes on to say "YOU HAVE NO SHOT" when he actually sort of proved the opposite. If it were (totally) true.  Which I doubt.

Originally Posted by ev780

So a pretty decent player goes out and shoots 4 over his handicap/12 over total and everyone calls him a liar and there is no way he can shoot that good when compared to a PGA tour guy.  Get real.

First, that's not how handicaps work.  Depending on the course rating, his expected differential could be something like 14 or 16.  Without knowing the rating of that setup I wouldn't know, but if the average score from a tour pro was 2 over par, and those guys are typically averaging 4-6 under par (random guess) on a course with an even par rating, then this golf writer and 8 handicap would have actually shot 6-8 strokes under what he "should have" scored.

Second, saying that a typical 8 handicap could shoot "as good" as a PGA Tour Pro on "any given Sunday" and that the "physical part is not what separates us" means we are NOT the ones who need to "get real."

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Your right, if it's on the Internet or in print it must be true.

Who admits to being in the trees 6 times and then having tree issues from the fairways 3 times and puts up an 82 because he snaked in a 20 footer to save his only double of the day. I believe that in the interest of writing a good story and stroking his ego he used creative license to shoot 10 over on one of the toughest tracks out there.

You're right - I forgot this was an internet story.  On the internet, I drive 300 yards on average and hit my 9 iron 150-160.  So, yes, on the internet this story does sound plausible.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a 10 course handicap with a 7.6 index at my course, my course has a 142 slope 74.2 rating, I would imagine Olympic was somewhere close to 77 to 78 rating and 150 -155 slope, both of those numbers compound on each other, I would assume a course handicap of 16 would be about right for an 8. Basically he shot the equivelence of one of the pros on sunday shooting -6, one guy shot -4 when the pressure is at its lowest point if there is one at the us open.

Olympic was 77.1 and 150 slope at the open. He would have had to shoot 88 just to shoot his index. I think I could believe a 95 at best.

88 -77.1 =10.9

10.9 x 113=1231.7

1231.7 divide by 150 = 8.2

Originally Posted by ev780

It never ends with you guys!!

The haters live!!!

These PGA Tour guys get put on this incredible pedestal that no one will ever achieve.  So a pretty decent player goes out and shoots 4 over his handicap/12 over total and everyone calls him a liar and there is no way he can shoot that good when compared to a PGA tour guy.  Get real.

"On any given Sunday" a good amatuer can go out and shoot a decent score.  Do  it 4 times in a row and you got something there.  The physical part is not what seperates them from us.  It is consistency and, most importantly, what is between their ears.

No he actually shot 6 under his handicap on one of the toughest tests of golf 24 hours later. I call bs and its beyond obvious.

Note: This thread is 3268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!