IGNORED

Tiger is never coming back

TN94z
Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He'll win lots more tournaments including majors, as long as his leg holds up and his putting woes are due to lack of practice due to concentating elsewhere and not a full on meltdown (which they don't look like at the moment).

Will he be as dominant as before? Probably not, but without being as good as he was before he could still be number 1 by a distance.

He's done because he shot +8 over the weekend at the US Open?  Many good players didn't even make the cut.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's not done.  He's no more done after this week's performance than he was after the Masters.

For many people (myself included), Tiger won't be "back" until he returns to his averages of 1 major per year and 6 PGA Tour wins per year.  I'd be willing to call him "back" prior to that if he wins three out of six events.

Tiger doesn't get judged by the standard of Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, or even Phil Mickelson.  He gets judged against THE STANDARD set by none other than Tiger Woods.  It's not unfair, it's just how it is.  How can you argue in one breath that he's the greatest golfer who ever lived because of his years-long streaks of total domination, yet in the next say he's having just as good a year as Luke Donald, but he's being unfairly judged against some superinflated standard of excellence?

Tiger is a very good golfer.  So are Phil, Rory, and Luke.  He's no better than them now, but that's not Tiger's goal, and it's not (in my opinion) how he should be judged.  He won't be "back" until he meets the standards set by him.

And yes, these threads are old.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by dsc123

He's done because he shot +8 over the weekend at the US Open?  Many good players didn't even make the cut.

He's done because writing "he played really well over the first two days but couldn't keep it going" doesn't get the same level of hits as "He's done"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

Quote:
We look at golf now and there isn't anyone dominant. Rory McIlroy will be that person for a few months and then Luke Donald and then Bubba Watson and then Martin Kaymer. It's a revolving door of players that are all talented, but equally talented. Tiger is just one of those guys now.

So what do you think?  Is Tiger just one of the guys now or does he still have "Tiger" in him?

If Tiger is just "one of those guys now," then this article isn't really all that profound or bold.  If Tiger is "just" a guy who has a strong chance of winning 1 major per year, contending/winning in several other tournaments per year and consistently challenging for the #1 player in the world rankings, then he would be well on his way to breaking Jack's record.  At this point, isn't that all anybody cares about?  Do people really care if he wins 2 majors a year and one of them by 8 strokes?  This is really all about Jack's record, and possibly dominating the #1 OGWR spot, IMO.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Do people really care if he wins 2 majors a year and one of them by 8 strokes?  This is really all about Jack's record, and possibly dominating the #1 OGWR spot, IMO.

This is how I feel honestly.  I've always felt that a win is a win.  I don't personally care if he wins by 2 strokes or 12 strokes.  If you are winning by 1 stroke multiple times per year and are #1, then that's the same as dominating IMO.  As far as Jack's record, that just be the icing on the cake for Tiger's career.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

he'll continue to win, but his best days are without question behind him.   He may even be a consistent world top 5 player for the upcoming years, time wil tell.    But he will never be BACK in his old form, like everyone wants to see ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

How can you argue in one breath that he's the greatest golfer who ever lived because of his years-long streaks of total domination, yet in the next say he's having just as good a year as Luke Donald, but he's being unfairly judged against some superinflated standard of excellence?

The alternative is saying that he is not the greatest golfer who ever lived, because the "real" GOAT managed to tack on a few majors, and do very little else, a good ten years after he stopped dominating. My view is that what happens once a golfer is over the hill is interesting in discussions of longevity, or trivia, but not to determine the greatest who ever lived. The greatest is the guy who was the most dominant, not the one who managed to win once every two or three years at the most advanced age.

Didn't he win twice this year?

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Waah!

No, really, we like to judge quickly.

Wait until the end of 2012 and then we will start to know, I said 'start to know' - about his game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Didn't he win twice this year?

Yes, and he won the World Challenge in December of last year, which means that over the last six months, he has earned more OWGR points for wins than any other golfer in the world. So all the guys who spent most of 2010 and 2011 howling about how the two-year ranking window was way too long, because it kept Tiger #1 for way too long, should be bombarding the boards now with posts demanding that Tiger be officially recognized as the World #1. I guess I just haven't found the right thread, because I know they must be here somewhere. Tiger's playing the ATT next week, and that typically has only a medium strength field, so I wouldn't be amazed if he won that, too. I don't know if he's ever played Greenbrier before, and the Open is always a crapshoot with the weather, so his next win will probably be the WGC Bridgestone, and maybe the PGA after that. Then the Deutsche Bank, and maybe the BMW. So yeah, looks like about half a dozen wins this year, depending on how the ball bounces. But next year, with his short game tightened up, he should be back to normal, and easily win 7 or 8 no matter how the ball bounces.

For a discussion like this to make any sense, you have to define "back". Some say he is back already, others will probably never say he's back. Is he back if he wins another major? 2, 3, 4? Is he back if he never misses a cut again? Is he back if he wins 4-6 tournaments a year? Is he back if he pulls the Tiger Slam again?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

For a discussion like this to make any sense, you have to define "back". Some say he is back already, others will probably never say he's back.
Is he back if he wins another major? 2, 3, 4?
Is he back if he never misses a cut again?
Is he back if he wins 4-6 tournaments a year?
Is he back if he pulls the Tiger Slam again?

As far as the article is concerned the author says:

Quote:
On Saturday, Curtis Strange said something during his radio broadcast that really touched on everything that is wrong with Tiger fans. He said he'd never consider Tiger back until he won three or four times in a row. While I totally agree with Curtis....

But people's opinions will obviously vary on what constitutes "back"  as you have stated.  That's why I also agree that the"Is Tiger back" arguments really are too open ended to ever agree upon.   But the topic brings out good conversation about the progress of what could be a dominant player once again.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by k-troop

How can you argue in one breath that he's the greatest golfer who ever lived because of his years-long streaks of total domination, yet in the next say he's having just as good a year as Luke Donald, but he's being unfairly judged against some superinflated standard of excellence?

It is a fallacy to conclude that the only standard is that of when Tiger was at his peak.  No athlete, no matter how dominant, stays at their peak until just before they retire.  Even if he didn't have the Thanksgiving meltdown, he would have slowed down.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

It is a fallacy to conclude that the only standard is that of when Tiger was at his peak.  No athlete, no matter how dominant, stays at their peak until just before they retire.  Even if he didn't have the Thanksgiving meltdown, he would have slowed down.

I didn't say it was unassailable logic, I just said that's how it is.  When people think about Tiger being "back" they think about him winning 1/3 of the events he enters and at least 1 major per year.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

I didn't say it was unassailable logic, I just said that's how it is.  When people think about Tiger being "back" they think about him winning 1/3 of the events he enters and at least 1 major per year.

Maybe, just maybe he'll be capable of doing that for the next 2-3 years.  Time will tell.  But even if he doesn't, I think his "2nd career" will be a success by relative Tiger-standard s if he wins a few more majors (I'm leaning towards him having to at least tie 18 majors) and is a top 2-3 golfer in OGWR.

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!