IGNORED

Anchored putters...no decision yet

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Sorry, I don't buy this. If it really reduced the skill necessary to make a good putt why would anyone use anything else?

At what age do you come across a belly putter? Id be willing to bet most players start playing, learn, and grow with the traditional putter. If you have been using this your entire life why switch.

Maybe that person feels like its cheating so they dont want to use a belly putter

There is always two schools of thought on everything. Maybe one person feels like Im gonna use this putter because it gives me an advantage while somebody else maybe more stubborn or prideful feels like they have been using this putter their entire life so why change now.

I do personally feel like its an unfair advantage. Not alot because like I mentioned before If I grew up using a regular putter I have obviously become accustomed to it and should be fine with that.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Trends come and go.  Personally I think a lot of the benefit for the pro's is just doing something different. A guy like Sergio had been struggling with his putter fo a while. Did he putt better for a while after switching to a belly? Sure. But he also putted better after trying left hand low or the claw. Thinking it will help is as big a factor as it actually helping.

I am still all for banning them....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Personally I think it looks dorky.  I learned to putt well with a normal putter and if I can do it anyone can.  I'm about as athletic as a chubby Barney Fife.

And if you haven't seen the trend on the Tours then you aren't watching.  Those guys wouldn't be changing if they didn't see an advantage to be gained.  You use it, so of course you are going to defend it.

I have been using the belly for 5 months. I put it into play after playing with a round a pro (cuz) and he sent me one (he felt sorry for my putting - I shot 77 but he said if I could putt it would have been closer to even). Since that time I have taken almost 2 putts off my average from almost 32 to just below 30). It hasn't been easy getting used to it, but the biggest difference has been with putts from 7-15 feet. I really don't care if they ban it or not. If they do then I just won't anchor it. Where I play I think I am one of the few people that use one. I really don't care what anyone thinks about it either. Funny, once I realized that no one really cares about my golf game in general, golf became a lot easier, especially off the first tee.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think they should be banned from tournament play especially on the pro level. But, hey let the ametures have them . I mean i could care less what someone else is using unless i believe its affecting my paycheck.

I think they should be banned from tournament play especially on the pro level. But, hey let the ametures have them . I mean i could care less what someone else is using unless i believe its affecting my paycheck.

A lot of people don't like the idea of rules separating the pros from the ametures. I doubt that'll happen soon.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Sure, some clubs from one model might benefit a player over clubs from another model. But the scale is way off for that comparison.

Irons, drivers, etc, have detailed specs they have to conform to. Ultimately any difference between clubs comes down to using the clubs the same way while getting a different experience from them. But anchored putters change how the club is actually used, which is very different.

That's really the crux of the complaint against anchored putters: That they change a fundamental manner in which the putter is used.

Originally Posted by B-Con

A lot of people don't like the idea of rules separating the pros from the ametures. I doubt that'll happen soon.

B-Con has nailed it on the head with both of these... the biggest (and strongest) argument against belly/long putters is that they change how the game is played. Some are ok with that, some aren't. While stats don't show any real advantage gained when players switch, there is at least some mental benefit, although I don't think that the "it gives an unfair advantage" argument even applies because as it it right now it's legal for anyone to use right now.

I will say that if I was asked to choose whether or not to ban it I probably would but I don't feel that strongly against it... on top of that if I messed around with one and felt like I got better results with it, I'd switch.  I do think that if they change the rule it should be across the board and not just at the professional level. There is something thats cool about pros and amateurs playing essentially the same game.

On a side note, I wrote a column about this a while back http://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/belly_putters_the_long_and_short_of_it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by VoidOfEnigmas

I very seriously doubt they would not allow those putters as they are so commonplace. I don't see them adding an advantage either just comfort for some people.

They outlawed grooves that were far more commonplace.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

IMO, the governing bodies have to be consulting manufacturers and carefully studying trends. In the case of the grooves, banning them created a new market hype. Sales where up to "buy up" all the pre 2010 grooves and a new market of "conforming" was born. In this case, I don't think the manufacturers suffered, they got a market push. In the case of the long putters, a ban would essentially shut down a newly developing market. People would not be rushing to snap up all the existing long putters, nor would a new short putter market be born because everyone already has a short putter (they don't wear out like wedges do). I think that it would be a fight from the manufacturers and it would not go as smoothly as the groove ban as it would hurt the industry.

With that said, I have no idea what they will do. Will they try to find a way to allow the industry to keep with their newly expanding market or is that market dead? The last I heard, long putters where in demand in the retail environment. I would like to be a fly on the wall at the USGA to see the behind the scenes of how this will play out.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I  think it takes away from the history of golf and they should not allow you to anchor it to your body. The shaft lenght should not matter IMO unless they anchor to there body. Next thing you know they will be chipping with a long shaft anchored to there body.

Keith Glaze

I  think it takes away from the history of golf and they should not allow you to anchor it to your body. The shaft lenght should not matter IMO unless they anchor to there body. Next thing you know they will be chipping with a long shaft anchored to there body. Keith Glaze

Good point.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by iacas

Many people feel there's more to it than that.

And though they may not be advantageous as a whole, the player obviously feels that they're advantageous to them or they wouldn't use them.

Most belly putters are much shorter than a driver, too, so the "measuring advantage" is not really a legitimate claim.

What about the long putter?

I was watching the Open and I'm pretty sure Adam Scott's long putter is longer than his driver.

Please tell me how using long putter to measure out a club length's relief is not an advantage?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ay33660

What about the long putter?

I was watching the Open and I'm pretty sure Adam Scott's long putter is longer than his driver.

Please tell me how using long putter to measure out a club length's relief is not an advantage?

Adam Scott isn't using a belly putter. I specifically said "most belly putters."

Adam Scott's long putter isn't much longer than his driver either. To be honest I couldn't care less about someone getting an extra two or three inches when they're taking a drop. I favor banning them for other reasons.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Adam Scott isn't using a belly putter. I specifically said "most belly putters."

Adam Scott's long putter isn't much longer than his driver either. To be honest I couldn't care less about someone getting an extra two or three inches when they're taking a drop. I favor banning them for other reasons.

I thought this is a discussion about the banning of "anchored and belly putters" ie both the long putter and the belly putter. Of course the belly putter would not be an issue for measurement but the long putter definitely is.

2 or 3 inches can make the diffference between someone having to go back to the place of the original shot vs. getting a two club drop as relief from an unplayable lie.

Are you really suggesting that this would not make a difference??????

My point is that even if the R&A; and USGA don't have the balls to ban the long and belly putter they need to address the use of the long putter for measurement.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I have not ever seen any data that says a long putter is an advantage or not.  But by allowing a player to anchor the top of the club to their body they do eliminate one variable in the swing.  It would seem logical that this is an advantage over a shorter putter where both end of the club are free to move.

Orville Moody

1 PGA Tour Win (short putter)

11 Champion Tour WIns (long putter)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...

Two points I don't think have been mentioned yet:  1.  Even though belly putters don't rank high in the PGA putting stats, I believe I read those players became significantly better putters after switching,  and 2.  I'm guessing the R&A; does not care, but I am sure the USGA is afraid the equipment manufacturers will sue them.  It was entirely possible that Ping could have busted the USGA had their square groove case gone to court and won.

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!