IGNORED

Annoying golfer

scooby7589
Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thats a great idea thanks, Not sure though what i should do when i see this person again, should i apoligize?  I dont feel i did anything to warrant me apoligizing to him but want to try and do whats right,    I probably wont golf against him again this year but will see him around the clubhouse waiting for tee times and getting refreshments.  I think i will steer clear of him and just keep it to hello.

If you think your apology is unwarranted, do so anyways. It is the hallmark of true diplomacy. Whether or not you feel his reaction to your behavior was justified, your behavior still undeniably provoked his reaction and his opinion of your character. Why not attempt to remedy that? The cost is minimal.

Driver:  :adams: super S

Fairway Woods: :tmade: RBZ 15* 3 wood

Hybrids:  :tmade: Burner 2.0 18* 3H, :adams: A7OS 22* 4H, :adams: A7OS 25* 5H

Irons: :adams: A7OS 6-PW

Wedges:  :cleve: 588 RTX 50* GW, :cleve: 588 BeCu 56* SW

Putter:  :odyssey: White Hot XG #7 2.0

I'd let it blow over and move on, personally. Greet him with a pleasant hello and make sure to not talk about him to other members. Sounds like he'd already formed his opinion of the OP and why dwell on it?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

When I play with people that talk too much or I'm having a bad round and don't feel in the mood to converse, I walk faster and don't really say much, except for the normal "nice shot" or something. They usually get the hint when I'm playing badly, because I'll mumble curses to myself or just walk around making an uncomfortable silence.

If I know I don't like the guy I might be paired with, I'll putt more on the practice green and wait for another group to play with, or just suck it up and play with him, but play my awkward silence game.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's possible the guy he was being a bit arrogant pointing out that the OP didn't even know how to properly record his score.  Or he was trying to be nice in pointing out his score wasn't as bad as he thought.  In either case what you stated in your thread is accurate.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

What they are referring to is ESC... basically when you post your score for handicap, individuals who carry less than a 10 can't post anything worse than a double bogey. The idea is that the your handicap is more of a measurement of your potential and it keeps one or two horrific holes from blowing up your index.

Joe Paradiso

By your own admission, the majority of your frustration stemmed for your poor play.  While this guy exacerbated your frustration, it wasn't the crux of it.  As such, apologize immediately for your previous behavior, but also use it as an opportunity lay the ground rules for future on-course interactions.  Say something to the effect of, "I would like to apologize for my d*ckish behavior the last time we played. I was trying to sort out my game and I was pretty frustrated.  So, if we're ever paired again, please don't take it personally if I cut you off during a conversation.  I'm probably just having another bad day that I'm trying to sort out."

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Sounds to me like you are being a little too serious out there.  Don't get me wrong, I know people want to play their best, but after the round was over you seemed like you were being very short with the guy.  If all he was doing was standing by you and talking between shots, I don't think he deserved that.  I guess I look at golf a little different, I look at it as a relaxing thing to do.  If I have a few bad holes, I don't tend to get mad, and I don't get short with who I'm playing with.  Next time, if you don't want to talk and you want to focus on the game, let your opponent know.  If he doesn't get the point after that, then that's his problem.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

If you're trying to be that focused, just tell the guy, "I'd like to focus and not talk a lot".

Talkers can play with quiet people just fine, but quiet people can't take the talkers. I'm a bit of the silent type, when carting around I'm as open and talkative as anyone, but come shot time, sthu and lemme think for a min...

Reminds me of the old Lee Trevino story. A pro that was paired for him & knew he liked to gab on the course approached Lee before the round & said "Lee, I don't feel much like talking today" to which Lee replied, "Thanks okay Pards. Just listen."

To the OP, if an apology may seem a bit much, I'd suggest going up to him & saying hey, I appreciate you telling me about that 10 only being counted as a 6...I didn't realize it at the time, followed by a handshake. Bet that clears the air.

• Upvote 1

I would say you have to be more assertive in general. Instead of sitting there stewing about someone talking to you, politely tell him you take match golf very seriously and do not like to be distracted with any talk during tournaments. I don't what he did except be unable to read your mind. If he is a jackass the other members will already know that and as long as you treat everyone friendly they will wonder what the hell he was talking about.

IMHO and I don't know you from adam, you first post seemed a little off and your lack of knowledge about your handicap makes me wonder how long or how much you know about golf. Not that I am saying you have this but Asperger's syndrome is often over looked and ranges from mild to major cases. Linear thought and social inadequacies are a generalized component of this condition.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

IMHO and I don't know you from adam, you first post seemed a little off and your lack of knowledge about your handicap makes me wonder how long or how much you know about golf. Not that I am saying you have this but Asperger's syndrome is often over looked and ranges from mild to major cases. Linear thought and social inadequacies are a generalized component of this condition.

Not saying I completely disagree with you, but I hope you have some background and expertise to make that (possible) general diagnosis.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Not saying I completely disagree with you, but I hope you have some background and expertise to make that (possible) general diagnosis.

I am not saying I diagnose this person with it but just to be aware of it just in case. I obviously can not go by one post however if he has had past issues dealing with people, having an understanding of the possibilities might help him with future dealings.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I was thinking more like A**hole's Syndrome.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I was thinking more like A**hole's Syndrome.

It is often perceived that way...

wear headphones with music on or off.

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

• 8 months later...
The Most Annoying Golf Partners: [URL=http://www.golfdigest.com/golf/humor/18-most-annoying-golf-partners]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf/humor/18-most-annoying-golf-partners[/URL] Sad to report that I see a little bit of my golf mannerisms on several of these points mentioned.......

Uh oh....... Me too. :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

The Most Annoying Golf Partners:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf/humor/18-most-annoying-golf-partners

Sad to report that I see a little bit of my golf mannerisms on several of these points mentioned.......

That's a pretty good article.  Several of the "favorite expressions" or photos had me laughing.  I mostly resemble the following:

Parking Lot Pro

Just-had-a-lesson Guy

Sunscreen Guy

My biggest annoyance is Unsolicited Advice Guy and The Volcano.  I played with The Volcano last year once.  Made for an awkward round.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Good stuff! One that they missed was Always Has to Tee Off First Guy. As your heading for the next tee, he will walk past you trying not to appear too hurried, but you know he is trying to get there first...

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!