IGNORED

Annoying golfer

scooby7589
Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Good stuff! One that they missed was Always Has to Tee Off First Guy. As your heading for the next tee, he will walk past you trying not to appear too hurried, but you know he is trying to get there first...

Oh yeah,  I play with one of those too... I'll just stroll right onto the tee and ask " oh, you birdied too?"

When they try and give me the 'ready golf'  thing, I'll point out we're ahead of schedule.

If I win the honor, I want it.

Mr M

Oh yeah,  I play with one of those too... I'll just stroll right onto the tee and ask " oh, you birdied too?" When they try and give me the 'ready golf'  thing, I'll point out we're ahead of schedule. If I win the honor, I want it. Mr M

Never step in front of someones birdie. Its bad karma.

I don't talk very much during any round that I really care about but it doesn't bother me if someone else does, as long as they have enough etiquette to shut up while I'm trying to hit.

Most of my rounds are just social rounds with friends and family (and for a few bucks in the Saturday choose up game). In those games I would rather be friendly than to play my best and if I lose focus a time or two it doesn't make much difference to me.

About the only thing that irritates me is a guy trying to keep score and finishing every hole completely out when it's taking 8 or 10 strokes per hole (or worse), and bogging the whole course down. That guy should throw away the score card, pick the ball up, take it up to where a good shot should have been, play from there, and have some fun (and spend a lot more time on the range than trying to keep score on the course).

Oh yeah,  I play with one of those too... I'll just stroll right onto the tee and ask " oh, you birdied too?" When they try and give me the 'ready golf'  thing, I'll point out we're ahead of schedule. If I win the honor, I want it. Mr M

If someone's faster than me it's a GOOD thing. I love those 3 hour rounds! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

If someone's faster than me it's a GOOD thing. I love those 3 hour rounds!

I agree, it's hard to find someone that is faster than me on the golf course.  The only time I care to hit first is when I get a birdie, oh wait I never get those so it doesn't matter.  Ready golf is the way to go.

Time to ask yourself, 'why do I play in a golf league,' I guess.  People join for different reasons.  Take a step beck and try to figure out why you joined and show up each week.

Annoying people?  They're everywhere if you look closely enough.  The guys on my league are loud, gregarious, funny, dangerous to play with sometimes, but more fun than guys our age should have while playing GOOD golf for the most part.

If you can't hit a shot with three other people talking, moving about, making noise or saying 'miss it!' while putting, you'd hate my league.  Again, most of these guys are decent to good players!  We just like to have fun each Thursday night, not take ourselves seriously, enjoy the company, enjoy our beautiful home course and get away from everything else in life that is more serious than golf!

Honestly, there isn't one guy on our league, (anymore, that is) who is bent out of shape over losing a match.  We just don't care.  It's more about the quality time spent together among friends, having a few beers, hitting a few good shots and keeping it fun.  I can't imagine showing up on a Thursday and NOT have a good time!  I might play like crap on occasion and not be happy with my own performance, but I choose to keep that to myself and not impose it on my partner and our opponents.

Here's a good example of the crap we deal with each week:  #5 hole is a chute from the tee box.  OB left, woods length of hole right.  I usually hit a pretty serious R to L tee ball.  One the way through my tee shot, the guy I'm playing that night is singing LOUDLY into the grip of his driver, "Baby Come Back!" (the ACE song from the late 70s) as I block one right and into the trees!  We all laugh liike school girls then he hands me an ice-cold beer to help pass the time looking for my ball in the woods!

It's no wonder that we have subs who join our league the season following their sub duties.  We've gone from 16 guys about 10 years ago to 28 regulars and still have subs.  If people are 'dicks,' as you mentioned, they aren't asked back.

Lastly, golf is supposed to be FUN.  If it's not fun for you, might be time to look for another expensive hobby like music or photography to occupy your time.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

If you're trying to be that focused, just tell the guy, "I'd like to focus and not talk a lot".

Talkers can play with quiet people just fine, but quiet people can't take the talkers. I'm a bit of the silent type, when carting around I'm as open and talkative as anyone, but come shot time, sthu and lemme think for a min...

+1

If you are being irritated by someone's behavior you should find a polite way to explain that you want the behavior to change.  We all know it is easy to do the wrong thing with playing partners, esp. if we don't know them and their likes/dislikes.

Recent example: I played with a friend recently at his club and we had a good day.  I'd only played with him once or twice before but not for a few years.  Early on in the round he mentioned to me that he preferred me to stand either in front or behind him when he was preparing to tee off - never to his right side (he's a right hander) as I was doing then.  I should have known better since many people feel this way (not me as it happens), and I immediately moved to a better position from that hole onwards.

If he hadn't mentioned that problem he would probably have been slightly annoyed about it the whole round and I'd have been none the wiser.  Not good, and totally unnecessary.

The trick is to communicate.  Of course if the guy doesn't change his behavior after you've made your point clearly, well then you're clearly dealing with a jerk and can comfort yourself with the thought - i.e. you did your best and even the great game of golf has a few people like this, though I don't recall ever meeting one.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Time to ask yourself, 'why do I play in a golf league,' I guess.  People join for different reasons.  Take a step beck and try to figure out why you joined and show up each week. Annoying people?  They're everywhere if you look closely enough.  The guys on my league are loud, gregarious, funny, dangerous to play with sometimes, but more fun than guys our age should have while playing GOOD golf for the most part. If you can't hit a shot with three other people talking, moving about, making noise or saying 'miss it!' while putting, you'd hate my league.  Again, most of these guys are decent to good players!  We just like to have fun each Thursday night, not take ourselves seriously, enjoy the company, enjoy our beautiful home course and get away from everything else in life that is more serious than golf! Honestly, there isn't one guy on our league, (anymore, that is) who is bent out of shape over losing a match.  We just don't care.  It's more about the quality time spent together among friends, having a few beers, hitting a few good shots and keeping it fun.  I can't imagine showing up on a Thursday and NOT have a good time!  I might play like crap on occasion and not be happy with my own performance, but I choose to keep that to myself and not impose it on my partner and our opponents. Here's a good example of the crap we deal with each week:  #5 hole is a chute from the tee box.  OB left, woods length of hole right.  I usually hit a pretty serious R to L tee ball.  One the way through my tee shot, the guy I'm playing that night is singing LOUDLY into the grip of his driver, "Baby Come Back!" (the ACE song from the late 70s) as I block one right and into the trees!  We all laugh liike school girls then he hands me an ice-cold beer to help pass the time looking for my ball in the woods! It's no wonder that we have subs who join our league the season following their sub duties.  We've gone from 16 guys about 10 years ago to 28 regulars and still have subs.  If people are 'dicks,' as you mentioned, they aren't asked back. Lastly, golf is supposed to be FUN.  If it's not fun for you, might be time to look for another expensive hobby like music or photography to occupy your time. dave

This is what ticks me off about the "Pros" who get all bent out of shape if someone farts 50 yards away while taking a practice swing. If they had ANY fun while learning to play the game they would have played "No Holds Barred" golf as mentioned above. There was no deathly silence for 3 minutes while you stood on a tee. While we definitely "TRIED" not to scream at the top of our lungs during a backswing, it might a lot of chatter while you get set up and ready to swing, but we would try and be respectful and be quiet once we saw the "move" that we all knew triggered every one's swings. What IS annoying is that guy who guns the gas cart as you start your swing, NOT realizing it takes a bit to catch and it backfires right while you're at the top of your swing. While we can all have a bit of fun with the "MISS IT...NOONAN!" once in awhile, having to think if someone is SHOOTING AT YOU is a bit much.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Good stuff! One that they missed was Always Has to Tee Off First Guy. As your heading for the next tee, he will walk past you trying not to appear too hurried, but you know he is trying to get there first...

That is hilarious.  You mean, people like this actually exist?

Wow, I must lead a sheltered life or something ....

Great thread btw.  I'm thinking of playing in a league for the first time and some of these posts are really getting me in the mood, as well as making clear the do's and don't's.  I don't think I'm that fragile of a player but it's good to be ready for all the types that might show up.

4-hybrid:

i wish i played with guys that would step in front of my birdie.  at least we would be playing faster.  pace of play trumps almost everything else.

Colin P.

i wish i played with guys that would step in front of my birdie.  at least we would be playing faster.  pace of play trumps almost everything else.

I wish I did too, because that means I'm making birdies.LOL My group plays fast anyways so no need to hurry up more.

I'm starting to hate myself for being Mr Rabbit Ears - I'm bothered by everything, it seems.

Velcro glove opening, whispering conversations, the flag waving in the wind while I'm putting (partner doesn't hold the flag down when holding the pin).

I don't say anything, but the noises are killing me.

Don't get me started on the sasquatch footprints on my putting line.......

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I'm starting to hate myself for being Mr Rabbit Ears - I'm bothered by everything, it seems.

Velcro glove opening, whispering conversations, the flag waving in the wind while I'm putting (partner doesn't hold the flag down when holding the pin).

I don't say anything, but the noises are killing me.

Don't get me started on the sasquatch footprints on my putting line.......

Nothing mentioned about butterflies flapping and birds chirping, they must drive you crazy !

Note to self: bring butterfly net next time.

4-hybrid:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That's a pretty good article.  Several of the "favorite expressions" or photos had me laughing.  I mostly resemble the following:

Parking Lot Pro

Just-had-a-lesson Guy

Sunscreen Guy

My biggest annoyance is Unsolicited Advice Guy and The Volcano.  I played with The Volcano last year once.  Made for an awkward round.

Yeah, the photos are great.  And the favorite expression of the plumb bobber ... "Son of a gun, I actually think it goes both ways."  LOL!  I'm most guilty of:

Parking Lot Pro

Air Counter (after a rough hole)

In high school (back when they actually didn't have governors) I was also a Cart Daredevil.

Biggest annoyance:  Volcano (Hey scfanatic, we've never played with one of those, have we?)

It's not on the list, but one of the proverbial "annoying golfer" traits that always comes up on these types of discussions is "Steps in your putting line" guy.  That used to be at the top of the list of annoying traits of golfers, but now, I think I'd list it at #178th.  Nobody wears spikes anymore, and a lot of people are switching over to shoes that don't even have softspikes.  I cannot tell you the last time I've seen a footprint or spike mark that has been on my putting line.  There are frequently times when a playing partner accidentally steps on my line too ... and it just doesn't faze me anymore.  I still try to avoid stepping in other peoples lines (I can make a dent with my whole shoe on moist greens with my size :)) and I hope others do too, but it's almost never a big deal anymore.

Unfixed pitch marks on the other hand ...

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!