Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
scooby7589

Annoying golfer

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

95 posts / 5545 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by dave s

Lastly, golf is supposed to be FUN.  If it's not fun for you, might be time to look for another expensive hobby like music or photography to occupy your time.

dave

I'd play in your crowd any day.

The less seriously one takes themselves, it's amazing how much less others bother you.

but I've never seen a drink cart girl that looks like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'd play in your crowd any day. The less seriously one takes themselves, it's amazing how much less others bother you. but I've never seen a drink cart girl that looks like that

There's plenty of them around here. And they usually "dance" at night or work behind a bar somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who do you watch on the tour who you consider annoying?

Furyk for me. The idiosyncrasies before hitting the ball are annoying.

Starting to get annoyed by Keegan addressing and readdressing the ball and his evil eye, and Bubba's constant whining when a shot or a putt goes astray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who do you watch on the tour who you consider annoying? Furyk for me. The idiosyncrasies before hitting the ball are annoying. Starting to get annoyed by Keegan addressing and readdressing the ball and his evil eye, and Bubba's constant whining when a shot or a putt goes astray.

Yep, Keegan for the stink eye thing. Sergio for the general pissy-ness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of the 'cart girls ...'  Our course has the college-aged young ladies we always catch up with.  Great kids.  And whenever one of the guys makes a sideways comment about one of the girls, the standard answer is, "Dude, you're OLD ENOUGH to be that girl's DAD!!!"

And yeah, we are fortunate to have a great group of long-time friends to play with each season.  Most guys I met when I moved here at age 19.  Many of us have known each other for more than 30 years now.  I forget to count my blessings each day that we're all (for the most part) still here, active and able to play together.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I'm starting to hate myself for being Mr Rabbit Ears - I'm bothered by everything, it seems.

Velcro glove opening, whispering conversations, the flag waving in the wind while I'm putting (partner doesn't hold the flag down when holding the pin).

I don't say anything, but the noises are killing me.

Don't get me started on the sasquatch footprints on my putting line.......

Rick,

What turned things around for me years ago was listening to my father-in-law rant over his perception that he was 'cheated out of first place' on his senior league.  He recounted a laundry list of slights that happened throughout the season that put his team 1.5 points out of first place.  It was like he chronicled each and every match of the season like the whole league was against him and his partner winning the league.

I'm thinking, wow, this is supposed to be fun and why are you letting what happened with a group of old guys playing a leisurely sport ruin your life?  Then my thoughts quickly turned to, Oh my, please don't EVER let me be THAT guy.

For you, it almost sounds like it's snowballing.  If you analyze anything bad that happens to your game during a round, none of what you mentioned had anything at all to do with any particular stroke you made.  Truth be told, the only thing that truly bothers me on a golf course is having to putt through my shadow on a 4-footer to save par.  That's it!  Everything else that happens out there I'm completely ok with.

dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Yep, Keegan for the stink eye thing.

Sergio for the general pissy-ness

Annoying -

Keegan - I don't mind the focus thing, that's just how he looks - but the constant spitting is annoying on TV.

I'm sure we all have some mannerisms though.

Fat Players - they're supposed to be the 'best' in a physical activity.  Kudos to those that take it seriously enough to train like a real athlete

Fat players that use a belly putter - ok, it's not annoying, just gross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

Annoying -

Fat Players - they're supposed to be the 'best' in a physical activity.  Kudos to those that take it seriously enough to train like a real athlete

Fat players that use a belly putter - ok, it's not annoying, just gross

This thread just went to 20 pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i cannot stand playing with the golfer who sucks but still manages to believe your 300y drive or your 2' putt is his ball.  i played with a guy like that who either needed glasses or a special education tutor.

also in general any snotty person i get paired up with aggravates me equally.  unfriendly people can really destroy the enjoyability of the game.

people who talk during a shot annoy me in that moment, but if they are cool i get over it.  nothing can really trump bad attitude in the annoying category, and good attitude always seems to make up for some annoying habits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tuffluck

i cannot stand playing with the golfer who sucks but still manages to believe your 300y drive or your 2' putt is his ball.

Wish I could hit the ball anywhere near 300 yards so I could meet that guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dave s

Rick,

What turned things around for me years ago was listening to my father-in-law rant over his perception that he was 'cheated out of first place' on his senior league.  He recounted a laundry list of slights that happened throughout the season that put his team 1.5 points out of first place.  It was like he chronicled each and every match of the season like the whole league was against him and his partner winning the league.

I'm thinking, wow, this is supposed to be fun and why are you letting what happened with a group of old guys playing a leisurely sport ruin your life?  Then my thoughts quickly turned to, Oh my, please don't EVER let me be THAT guy.

For you, it almost sounds like it's snowballing.  If you analyze anything bad that happens to your game during a round, none of what you mentioned had anything at all to do with any particular stroke you made.  Truth be told, the only thing that truly bothers me on a golf course is having to putt through my shadow on a 4-footer to save par.  That's it!  Everything else that happens out there I'm completely ok with.

dave


Good advice. Its just started recently. I've forgotten that this was supposed to be fun  - I'm probably also using noise/irritants as an excuse for my own bad golf shots/swings/putts/chips/etc.  I had been taking it as a challenge -to try to make putts despite the noise but got out of that habit. I always remember Tigers' stories about his father making all kinds of noise while he was putting to improve TW's concentration and not let that stuff bother him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing that bothers me on the course is insufficient applause....

Seriously, though, I don't get bothered by noise or people walking around me when I'm trying to putt. I just focus on the line or shot picture and nothing else is around.  Cell phone guy bothers me, but just because he's sitting in his cart and NOT PLAYING.  Pretty much the only thing that bothers me on the course is the guy who's not ready to hit.  Do whatever you want, but when it's your turn to hit, you should be ready.  You shouldn't be standing around staring at butterflies, waiting for 3 sets of eyes to bore through your skull to know it's your turn, and only then do you try and figure out what to do with your next shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tuffluck

i cannot stand playing with the golfer who sucks but still manages to believe your 300y drive or your 2' putt is his ball.

I don't find it annoying, but I get a kick out of the guy who hits his drive far off the fairway--typically in the trees--and is looking for his ball between 25 and 50 yards past where it would have reasonably flown.  Whether they typically hit it 220 or 280 when it flies straight, they somehow think that, even though it sliced 20-30 yards, it still went 220 or 280.  I typically laugh to myself and then ask what they're looking for up there, and proceed to tell them their ball is "somewhere back there" and then begin helping them look for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't find it annoying, but I get a kick out of the guy who hits his drive far off the fairway--typically in the trees--and is looking for his ball between 25 and 50 yards past where it would have reasonably flown.  Whether they typically hit it 220 or 280 when it flies straight, they somehow think that, even though it sliced 20-30 yards, it still went 220 or 280.  I typically laugh to myself and then ask what they're looking for up there, and proceed to tell them their ball is "somewhere back there" and then begin helping them look for it.

That would be me, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find it annoying when a high handicapper who can't hit the ball very far will wait for the green to clear when he is really far out and then hit a 50 yard slice into the trees. I guess its kinda funny at the same time to see their disapointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I find it annoying when a high handicapper who can't hit the ball very far will wait for the green to clear when he is really far out and then hit a 50 yard slice into the trees. I guess its kinda funny at the same time to see their disapointment.

hahaha, so true!  specifically the guy that waits on his 2nd shot on a 600y par 5 for the green to clear and it's clear his drive only went about 220y...yeah, let's see that 380y 3 wood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahaha, so true!  specifically the guy that waits on his 2nd shot on a 600y par 5 for the green to clear and it's clear his drive only went about 220y...yeah, let's see that 380y 3 wood!

LOL! I have seen my share of those too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...