IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

I really like the alone time as well as getting to play at my pace.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's what attracted me to golf as a kid.  It was just me and the course.  Best way there is to get better.  Ended up turning professional and playing briefly on the tour.

New to the game? Time-tested golf cliches:

Playing 9 or 18 alone is common.  Top amateurs and pros do it all the time, or did it in their past.

Play short tees to learn and to become confident with the short game; and also play long tees to learn the importance of the long game.

A poor short game puts stress on the long game.  A poor long game puts stress on the short game.

Spend as much time as possible (75%) on the driver, wedge and putter.  After you can break 90, spend a good deal of time on your irons, until you can break 85.

Try as much as possible to play with a single digit handicapper.  See how he/she manages his/her scoring game.  Play from a tee that is proper for your length and distance with all clubs, esp. off the tee.

The golfer who can chip and putt can play with anyone.  Handicap, you know.

The trees are filled with long hitters and slicers.

Watch the Greatest Game Ever Played, Caddie Shack (I), and Bagger Vance.

Take some lessons, periodically and regularly.

Play alone frequently, at least until you can finish every hole with the same ball and not score worse than a triple bogey for the entire round - and sink all putts.

Play your own, one-man scramble, It takes 3-4 balls: 1 of 2 best balls (your potential) and 1 of 2 worst balls (consistency) for a realistic learning curve.

When you do play with others, have a bet even if it is a $1 Nassau . Graduate to "presses" and then "automatic, 2 down presses."  Find out what that means.  There are also games called Skins (strategy, ties, and hero shots), Wolf (my least favorite, but ego, fun and strategy), and nines (my favorite, consistency to handicap).

WELCOME TO A GREAT FRATERNITY, no entry fee required, dating back over 500 years.

ENJOY.  Get the golf "fever."

The practice tee and the  practice green are where to learn, improve, test, improve, and prepare.

The golf course is where to learn how to apply, to learn, to test strategy, to score, and to compete.

Bobby Jones: Learn to compete against "Old Man Par."

I think you learn more about your game if you play a round by yourself and actually pay attention to your pre shot routine etc.  This is the best type of practice you can have.  On course-real situations-  You can play a couple extra shots and don't have to worry about your score... It's stress free...

Play a couple bunker shots

Play from certain yardages

Hit a couple short clubs off the tee box

Play some knock downs from the fairway and some regular shots from the same yardage.

Have fun and relax...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I do it on a regular basis actually. Probably going to go by myself on wednesday as well. I just moved to San Antonio, and do not know anybody, so I just head out to a local course, pay the range fee and have myself a good time.

Playing alone is actually better because you won't waste any time looking for a partner's ball, and you can get done with 18 pretty quick. I miss my golf buddies from back in Indiana, but I'm not gonna let that keep me away from playing the game I love.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

I walk on as a single often........and pair up.

My question to those who play alone is do you play in traffic as a single?  To me, this would be insanely painful................ are you that slow, that you enjoy playing behind traffic alone?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My question to those who play alone is do you play in traffic as a single?  To me, this would be insanely painful................ are you that slow, that you enjoy playing behind traffic alone?

In my experience most people will either let you through or ask you to join them.  Getting stuck behind a bunch of slow people who won't let you through blows but that seems to rarely happen for me.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

In my experience most people will either let you through or ask you to join them.  Getting stuck behind a bunch of slow people who won't let you through blows but that seems to rarely happen for me.

I'll let a single play through as long as there is someplace for him to go, but if it's busy and the course is full, then he is going to be stuck.  He doesn't get to play through group after group just because he came out on a busy day and managed to tee off alone.  All he does in that case is just slow down everyone else as they wait for him to play through - the single gets the benefit and everyone else pays.  I'm not saying this to be jerk, it's just how it is on busy days.

I will however, invite you to join us if we happen to be shorthanded.  I will also offer to let you play through if I know that there is a group ahead of us which needs a 4th.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'll let a single play through as long as there is someplace for him to go,.........

I will however, invite you to join us if we happen to be shorthanded.  I will also offer to let you play through if I know that there is a group ahead of us which needs a 4th.

This is exactly how I'd do it.  Allowing a play through only works if there's a gap to fill.

combining small groups is the only 'real' way to relieve pressure in the flow

"no, We'd/I'd rather play alone" is a very selfish position when a course is overloaded - when it's wide open, it's a great thing though

Bill - 

I've been inviting people to play along with me every time I'm on the course and it slows down and gets backed up. I've played with some pretty cool people doing that. Just Sunday I played with 3 guys who were all pretty good, one even played in a qualifier for the US Open this year. He had overheard me tell another guy how I'm not used to playing with people who hit as long as me which prompted him to tell the story of his experience on the first tee playing in the qualifier. His story:

"I teed off on a 485 yard par 4 and hit driver. I smoked it too. The next guy gets up and hits his hybrid. Then a kid who was just about to graduate from Wake Forest, and was going pro once he did, teed off with hybrid too. So I'm walking down the fairway and I see 2 balls in the middle of the fairway and head toward them. Then my caddy grabs me by the back of the shirt and says 'your ball is back here'. Those guys outdrove me with hybrids. They are just on another level."

His story mimic'd what several of other people here have been saying, that most people don't have any appreciation of how good these guys are until you see them play. Another guy made a comment that was just as similar to others when he said "the sound when they hit the ball is so much different than when we hit the ball". Was a cool experience playing with these guys and hearing what they were saying. The one guy knew Fred Lickliter because they both played for Wright State.

This is exactly how I'd do it.  Allowing a play through only works if there's a gap to fill.

"no, We'd/I'd rather play alone" is a very selfish position when a course is overloaded - when it's wide open, it's a great thing though

I don't necessarily agree with this comment. Not everyone is comfortable playing with people they don't know. Now if that person is out there solo and hitting multiple shots even though the course is crowded then I would agree they aren't being courteous.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I'll let a single play through as long as there is someplace for him to go,.........

"no, We'd/I'd rather play alone" is a very selfish position when a course is overloaded - when it's wide open, it's a great thing though

It's one thing if the course "squeezed" that single in, but if he happened to walk on when the course had a cancellation and there was no one else to pair him with, then he has the right to play alone in that tee spot if he so desires.  It won't slow down the flow as much as a fourball would in the same slot, and no course I've ever played is going to refuse a green fee just to keep a single off the course.  It would be different if they had squeezed him in where no starting time existed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's one thing if the course "squeezed" that single in, but if he happened to walk on when the course had a cancellation and there was no one else to pair him with, then he has the right to play alone in that tee spot if he so desires.  It won't slow down the flow as much as a fourball would in the same slot, and no course I've ever played is going to refuse a green fee just to keep a single off the course.  It would be different if they had squeezed him in where no starting time existed.

Who said anything about his "rights", I'm just talking about relief of congestion.

I agree with that (except the thing about the single vs fourball - if the entire course is squeezing, then it's still just the matter of 20 groups on the course vs 19 groups, no matter how big - since the 'initial' cause of the squeeze is likely a slow group that finished already).  BUT.....even in your open single tee spot scenario, the flow can start to squeeze anyway.  and if that single is coming up to a double that squeeze can still be relieved by combining into a single group - again 20 groups on a 18 hole course vs 19....

yes, he has the option to stay single (and the twosome a two some) but for the sake of keeping people from jamming up just a bit less, the 'smart' thing, considerate thing, would be to combine.  Not really is issue in places where people are open and friendly.  But it takes all kinds, I suppose.

as far as the course squeezing in 21 groups in a field that is already overfull with 20 (I'm just using 20 as an example)......that's bad management and not related to my point.  but it's a good comment

Bill - 

That is the cool thing about on-line booking. You pick a time and play. I rarely walk on anymore. I don' t feel obligated to join another group if I am certain there were multiple open spots near my time. Late in the day when I play most I book right before Ileave for the course, never sure exactly when I can get free. Not uncommon to see several twosomes and singles spaced a hole apart for twilight golf.

Dave :-)

I walk on as a single often........and pair up. My question to those who play alone is do you play in traffic as a single?  To me, this would be insanely painful................ are you that slow, that you enjoy playing behind traffic alone?

It happens, and it sucks. Happened to me this past weekend where I ended up behind a foursome, and basically just had to play as slow as I could and still wait between holes. There was never anyone behind me and I could never tell if there was anyone in front of them.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

I actually missed this post before, why do you think that you have to be slow to be able to deal with playing behind "traffic". I take the opportunity to look for free golf balls or play more than one shot to practice. I don't see a round of golf as a race that I have to get done as quickly as possible *unless I'm playing an all you can golf type scenario*.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

It happens, and it sucks. Happened to me this past weekend where I ended up behind a foursome, and basically just had to play as slow as I could and still wait between holes. There was never anyone behind me and I could never tell if there was anyone in front of them.

Happened to me on Friday.

Course is very open.

I walked to the first tee and there's a 3 some just getting there.  Two of them hit driver about 60 yard sculls and they chuckly and take off.

So I walked over to the 10th and go from there (checked with the course, no issues).  Then I catch up to a 4 some on #15 and they are VERY slow and rowdy (two played fine, but two were just poor players - and they all took turns).  I just rested in between shots and enjoyed the fall day.  One of them birdied 15, and when they walked off, I put my approach to 2 feet - so me too.  Maybe my good mood fed into this not really bugging me, it was a beautiful day and the cart seat was comfortable.

When I noticed it was getting a little late, I finished 17 and they were still just teeing off at 18 (I was too late to ask to tee off and walk ahead)  so I skipped 18, played the front 9 and then came back for 18 at the end of day.  Actually, I also caught a single on #2 and we played that hole together and then I drove ahead as I was playing a bit faster.  no issues, nice guy.

Those boys were having a good time and I'm out there to relax - they were friendly enough when I was within talking distance.  I had the option to go ask to play through and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.  this time, I just dealt with it.

I don't have patience for golfers that grumble about it, but don't take the time to ask politely in the first place - there are times when groups just aren't paying attention or thinking about it.  But, if they do ask, and then the group is rude or uncooperative for no good reason, then the griping is surely justified.  "Damn, they are so slow, why don't they let us play through already!!  I'm getting mad about it".  My first response "well, did you ask?"

Bill - 

That's when it's time to consider playing as 5, especially if there is a group behind the single. 5 can play faster than 4 and a single waiting on them to finish a hole.

Dave :-)

As a beginner I really like playing alone, only 9 though. I don't mind waiting for a group ahead, as long as nobody is behind, that's the stuff IMO, because I can practice, hit shots again, think before a stroke, play more than one ball, take my time to learn, try to remember my keys, not be embarrassed, it's really the only way I'll get better, the range is too limited, and playing with others is a distraction that I can't afford yet.

Sadly it's hard to come by though, I take days off work to get alone time, or tee off very late.

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!