IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

• 1 month later...
Most guys I play with either have something different to do ( family etc) or are working. Being retired I will go out during the week and leave the weekends to be around the family, so I play alone quite a bit or join up with others.

I actually enjoy getting paired up than playing alone. I play better when I get paired with others. As a single walker I am alway paired with strangers. I will say I prefer other walkers but don't mind if you ride.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I play by myself quite often, nine if I walk and 18 if I ride.  I do this because I play on a rather spur of the moment schedule.  However, I have begun to notice that I played better when I played alone, and it took me awhile before I figured it out.  I thought at first that it was because I wasn't distracted by the conversations.  Later, I realized that I played better alone because I swung more frequently, and I could "remember" my swing better from one to the next.  When playing in a group of four, the time delay between swings caused each next swing to be as if I had little or no warm up.  At least, that's my current thinking about why I play better when I play alone.

I routinely play 9 holes 5 or 6 times a week. Occasionally, I play with someone else for a few holes, but mostly I play by myself. It is me against the course, which is actually the same when you play in a foursome. I concentrate better without conversion and am able to obtain my best result. Also, I can hit an extra ball or putt if I desire.

Robere, I understand the "me against the course" concept, but for me, I have come to the conclusion that playing in a foursome is not the same as playing by myself on the basis of how much time it takes when you hit once out of every four shots, in general.  I base this on the concept of the impact that rehearsal has on human performance.  When playing alone, each swing becomes rehearsal for the next swing, but with four people hitting, the passage of time reduces the rehearsal benefit of the previous swing.  It's only a theory, based on general research on human performance with and without rehearsal.  The example often given in the research is the basketball player who first makes the motion of shooting a free throw before the actual free throw.

i work from home and when i am not busy i often go out in the middle of the week and play a round by myself I dont even think twice about it.

will even go out and play by myself on weekends. the course will pair you up with other randoms and you get to meet new people.

you are probably one of those people that also never goes out to eat by themselves. I got over that when i was traveling all over the place at one of my jobs, and realized that no one cares, but more importantly i shouldn't care what others think.

Sorry chipandcharge.  Way to deep for me.  I get a lot more out of playing by myself because I can concentrate.  Don't have to listen to jokes, stories, how well they played last time, temper fits, or hunt somebody else ball.

Sorry chipandcharge.  Way to deep for me.  I get a lot more out of playing by myself because I can concentrate.  Don't have to listen to jokes, stories, how well they played last time, temper fits, or hunt somebody else ball.

Doesn't it bother you when you really play a great round or hit a great shot and nobody sees it and nobody cares?

I used to play a lot by myself but it was only because I was obsessed with becoming at least halfway proficient at the game.

Last time I played alone (over a year ago) I had one of the best rounds I've ever had, hit some of the best shots I've ever hit. and almost couldn't miss a putt. Not a soul saw it and not a soul cared.

Might as well have not even happened.

Originally Posted by MS256

Last time I played alone (over a year ago) I had one of the best rounds I've ever had, hit some of the best shots I've ever hit. and almost couldn't miss a putt. Not a soul saw it and not a soul cared.

Might as well have not even happened.

Why do you need the recognition?

You knew how well you played and I'm sure it did a lot for your self-confidence and the quality of your play going forward.  So, although no one saw you play one of your best solo rounds, I'm sure others saw the benefits of that round in the way you played w/others later.

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

You knew how well you played and I'm sure it did a lot for your self-confidence and the quality of your play going forward.  So, although no one saw you play one of your best solo rounds, I'm sure others saw the benefits of that round in the way you played w/others later.

I have been playing about one evening a week by myself. As I said earlier in the thread I love the solitude. My only fear is hitting a hole in one while playing alone. If I ever hit an ace I hope it is on a Saturday with my usual group. Some moments in life are best shared.

Respectfully,

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm. I don't know. I don't even like individual awards or trophies or anything like that. I don't even care if a playing partner acknowledges a good shot. Just doesn't mean much at all if I'm the only one that saw it and it means even more if it helps me or my team win.

I just look at rounds by myself as practice rounds. I can do that in my backyard (and a good shot doesn't mean much there either).

I not knocking other people that like to simply play against the course alone. I've done it hundreds and hundreds of times. Now I'm just not interested much unless there is a game.

The really ironical thing is that I like to deer hunt. Nothing is more solitary than that, and I don't even drive around to my friend's houses and show off the bucks I kill like almost all of my friends and family do. I suppose I deer hunt for solitude and I play sports for camaraderie.

I haven't play a round alone in 25 years.  Don't intend to either.

For those that enjoy solitary golf, there's nothing wrong with that, but I enjoy the camaraderie and competition inherent in playing a match with a buddy.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For those that enjoy solitary golf, there's nothing wrong with that, but I enjoy the camaraderie and competition inherent in playing a match with a buddy.

Did you enjoy playing alone when you first started? I absolutely love it.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Me too.

Not golfing /emoticons/c2_beer.gif"/>

I enjoy playing alone, but don't want to be that guy that intrudes on a threesome or something, so I avoid the full courses and go to the 3-par where I know I can go out solo, which by me there happens to be a fairly challenging one that I think even seasoned players would like, and late in the day it's very quiet, I've come to really like my solitude there when the people I play with bail on me... chumps.

When I golf alone, I prefer to be really alone.

Playing as a single can obviously be problematic when the course is busy. You invariably will run into someone. Those cold, rainy days when you are really the only person on the course are the best.

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!