Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Valleygolfer

LURKERS! Read please!

Note: This thread is 1885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

114 posts / 7323 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

^Yeri is spot on. I"ve been lurking for a few months but just registered today, mainly because.... i don't know diddly and don't feel like I can contribute in any meaningful way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Hi.  Sorry.  I'll try and post more.

Seriously!  Get with the program and start typing!  906 posts?  That's it?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe some peope don't like to post because they feel shy. Well that's my excuse anyway - I get really shy online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I would imagine it has something to do with the attitude of some of the snootier members on here.


I hear the "putt putt" forums are less snooty. You could try there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah right on! the main problem with this forum is that there's a clique of buddies that seem to run the whole thing. Say something that's out of the ordinary and the gang will Tee Off. You only have to go to the swing thoughts page......oooppps not allowed, only for the priveleged few......boring. How about the merciless attacks on that Patrick guy........yes the guy had some strange ideas......good I reckon.....but not here. Even the unedifying sight of the owner of the site trading blows with "patrick". Look if folks want to make tools of themselves , that's okay , isn't it!. And while I'm having a rant, the whole tone of the forum is more of a "pearls of wisdom......(and overpriced DVD's) being passed down to the great unwashed gathered below. A forum, in my mind is more of a collection of peers, sharing of information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya idk why either. I am not very knowledgeable about golf but I use this site as a resource and a reference and on threads about opinions, all opinions are welcome as that is all it is. Slow play vs rush play and why, opinions on clubs and balls. There are tons of high handicappers on here sharing their opinion on mojos and noodles just as often as scratch players are talking about pro v's and z stars. I am sure I have looked like a fool on this forum before but if I keep going in time I will gain knowledge and nobody will realize what an idiot I was when im at 2000 posts or whatever and well established.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually too drunk to post anything of value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by jshots

I'm usually too drunk to post anything of value.

Me too......treating tomorrow like a Fri, and had quite a few Nauticals.  I did make 3 post today.  A record on any message board.  Football or golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by logman

Yeah right on! the main problem with this forum is that there's a clique of buddies that seem to run the whole thing. Say something that's out of the ordinary and the gang will Tee Off. You only have to go to the swing thoughts page......oooppps not allowed, only for the priveleged few......boring. How about the merciless attacks on that Patrick guy........yes the guy had some strange ideas......good I reckon.....but not here. Even the unedifying sight of the owner of the site trading blows with "patrick". Look if folks want to make tools of themselves , that's okay , isn't it!. And while I'm having a rant, the whole tone of the forum is more of a "pearls of wisdom......(and overpriced DVD's) being passed down to the great unwashed gathered below. A forum, in my mind is more of a collection of peers, sharing of information.

Anyone can respond to a thread in Swing Thoughts, and it exists because some people wanted Mike and I to start threads more visibly. You can start a thread almost anywhere else on the site, in particular the "Instruction and Playing Tips" sub-forum. Many people do this every day.

You weren't around for 95% of the Patrick crap, and you seem to be unaware of the 20+ different accounts he created, all while lying about who he was and intentionally provoking people, going so far as to pretend he was a woman and posting a "My Swing" thread as that woman. He's gotten umpteen chances to contribute and spurned every one of them.

And we have one whole thread - which you're welcome to ignore - about the DVDs.

I feel that Mike and I share a lot of information - and I think we do it without the "pearls of wisdom" attitude - with a lot of people. Truth be told I like it when people ask me questions or challenge me on why I prefer something or see something a certain way, and I don't particularly care for the flying monkey syndrome. Many like the site because they can ask questions, challenge us, and debate things with us. If you want to share information, then share information. It's that simple, and nothing's stopping you.

There's probably a kernel of truth in what you've said, and you'd be wrong to assume that we're not aware of it and constantly looking to improve on our end of things, but I think there's also a kernel of truth in this: you're seeing things as you want to see them. I think if you were able to look at the broad perspective, and look at all of the posts that go on here, you'd find that reality is not quite like you believe it to be. But if you don't, that's fine by me too. There are much more important things in life to worry about, eh?

P.S. But you're wrong about Patrick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To any actual lurkers reading this, we'd love it if you contribute, but we're happy to have you either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I hear the "putt putt" forums are less snooty. You could try there...

Thanks for proving my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

Thanks for proving my point.


I remember feeling like you do. The thing about this forum is that there are a few guys that absolutely have no sense of humor and are very linear in their posts. Sure a few are arrogant as well and maybe let handicaps be their guide to treating people but there are a lot of cool guys that like golf as much as the next addict.

Most of the forum doesn't do sarcasm very well and this is not like other forums where you can come on it and act like a jackass or make blanket statements without being called out on it. It does get a little over zealous at times but you don't have to participate in them. The members take this site personal and serious. If you can understand this, you can get along better. Joke when the times is right and expect honest opinions from most (sans patrick57). Most of the guys really want to help you play better golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Because I'm a big giant ***** that is too scared to have a differing opinion from random people I know nothing about.

Also, I do not have much golf knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I remember feeling like you do. The thing about this forum is that there are a few guys that absolutely have no sense of humor and are very linear in their posts. Sure a few are arrogant as well and maybe let handicaps be their guide to treating people but there are a lot of cool guys that like golf as much as the next addict.

Most of the forum doesn't do sarcasm very well and this is not like other forums where you can come on it and act like a jackass or make blanket statements without being called out on it. It does get a little over zealous at times but you don't have to participate in them. The members take this site personal and serious. If you can understand this, you can get along better. Joke when the times is right and expect honest opinions from most (sans patrick57). Most of the guys really want to help you play better golf.

True. I like the fact that ignorance and bottom feeders are not well tolerated on these boards and will usually get called out and smacked down. At the same time, you can read some truly funny sh!t here, but it can be sublime and hard to detect sometimes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a professional Lurker.  Licensed in California, and if I get caught with pot I will loose my license to practice lurking.  Also, I think of something to contribute, but have to get back to my other job that pays better, and forget to post.  Oh, I and sometimes I am lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...