IGNORED

Post different course etiquettes please!

Dan Garcia
Note: This thread is 3417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fore Left

Two things:

1)  Rake goes IN the bunker when you're done.... it's part of of the hazard.

2)  Flag-stick goes OFF the green  (or on the fringe) not on the putting surface regardless of how far from anyone's line it may be.

What?  Who the hell is going to take a flag stick out, walk it over to the rough, set it down, walk back and putt, and then go retrieve the flag from the rough and place it back in.  That is one of the most absurd things that I have heard.  Just pull it and lay it down.

Two things:

1)  Rake goes IN the bunker when you're done.... it's part of of the hazard.

2)  Flag-stick goes OFF the green  (or on the fringe) not on the putting surface regardless of how far from anyone's line it may be.

I don't follow either of these.  And neiter has anyone I've played with.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by John King

Why is skipping a problem if they are catching up to you and the course is open in front of you?  I do not condone it if the course is backed up. I know if I have been stuck behind a group for more than a couple of holes waiting on every shot and they would'nt let me play through and the course is wide open if front of them, I am going to skip a hole.

I was going on about the guys who skip when everyone is already backed up. No one will ever be held up by myself or a group I am with. I'm always the first one to notice guys behind and suggesting they play through. Too often people are playing speed golf or are not in a group as large as I am in. If I am with slower players I'll get them to pick up the pace, within reason of course, or let guys play through. The most dangerous thing on a course is someone being impatient or mad playing behind you, eventually they will think firing one over or into you will speed stuff up, all it will do is cause more issues or get someone hurt.

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

I was going on about the guys who skip when everyone is already backed up. No one will ever be held up by myself or a group I am with. I'm always the first one to notice guys behind and suggesting they play through. Too often people are playing speed golf or are not in a group as large as I am in. If I am with slower players I'll get them to pick up the pace, within reason of course, or let guys play through. The most dangerous thing on a course is someone being impatient or mad playing behind you, eventually they will think firing one over or into you will speed stuff up, all it will do is cause more issues or get someone hurt.

Like I said I do not condone skipping holes when the course is already backed up, and I would never hit up on people that I knew I could reach. I hate when it happens to be me, so I never intentionally do it. I have done in unitentionally, and have always gone up and apologized as soon as I could.

Like I said I do not condone skipping holes when the course is already backed up, and I would never hit up on people that I knew I could reach. I hate when it happens to be me, so I never intentionally do it. I have done in unitentionally, and have always gone up and apologized as soon as I could.

Yeah man, I was clarifying my first post is all. If you skip and are moving on into open space more power to ya. It's the ones who skip with not asking and then expect you to wait on them that irk me. I've been hit before, I never want to hit someone... s#!t hurts!  Some of the guys I play with are hot headed and have no problem knocking one near a group that's been rude/slow/skipped etc. I don't play with those guys a lot, only when invited and they are paying =) (hard to turn down free golf)

Quote:

Yeah man, I was clarifying my first post is all. If you skip and are moving on into open space more power to ya. It's the ones who skip with not asking and then expect you to wait on them that irk me. I've been hit before, I never want to hit someone... s#!t hurts!  Some of the guys I play with are hot headed and have no problem knocking one near a group that's been rude/slow/skipped etc. I don't play with those guys a lot, only when invited and they are paying =) (hard to turn down free golf)

If someone skips and they're still in the line of fire when you get there, then they'd should have skipped two holes or waited to play through the proper way. Pompous jerks.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's interesting....  I was taught incorrectly then.

I guess I need to consult my rule-book.

No,no, no.  You are NOT supposed to concede that you might have been wrong.  You are supposed to argument vehemently no matter whether you believe your position any more or not.  Is this your first time on the internet?

(just kidding)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is an etiquette doozy.  I was assigned in a cart with a woman I do not know and she started driving all over the place, including where carts are not allowed.  She turns to me and says, "Don't worry; I have a handicapped flag."  (Bad back.)  Attached to her bag is this blue and white handicapped sign that looks kind of like a HC parking sign but the pic is of a golfer.  As we're playing, and she's driving all over the place, people are giving us dirty looks and it's really embarrassing because we're too far away to explain.  Then almost at the end, we're chatting and I ask her who she went to to get it (thinking she'd say some type of "golf authority" or her doctor or something) and she said she just created it at home with a silkscreen machine.  Ugh.  Definite etiquette no no.

I'm sure many of these have been mentioned before, but...

I always find that watching the other persons ball off the tee really can lower frustration later in the hole when you're driving around looking.  Watch from behind the ball, so you can see the entire flight.  We hardly ever loose golf balls this way, even in the shallow woods and rough.

When the other player is taking his or her shot, don't figit.  Don't make noise, just stand or sit there quietly.

Repair tool on the green.

No cell phone.

First to putt puts pin back in, sometimes I even hand the other player his wedge or putter cover if nearby (if only 2 players).

Park the cart correctly such to not be an obstruction in the way or be within the players sight.

For chips and really any shot, I try to get out of the player's vision completely.

Help look for a players ball.

If a long putt, ask if they want you to pull the pin or just take it out.

When going to the green, take ALL of your clubs that you will need (wedge or two, and your putter).

It's a gentleman's game, so I always give praise to a good shot or drive.  I don't play it competitively, except against myself.

Probably most importantly, I try not to do anything to slow down the game for my partner(s).  I think the worst thing in golf is when you feel rushed because others are breathing down your neck.  The worst.  I shoot terrible and the game/sport just loses all interest for me.

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

Originally Posted by dru925

Here is an etiquette doozy.  I was assigned in a cart with a woman I do not know and she started driving all over the place, including where carts are not allowed.  She turns to me and says, "Don't worry; I have a handicapped flag."  (Bad back.)  Attached to her bag is this blue and white handicapped sign that looks kind of like a HC parking sign but the pic is of a golfer.  As we're playing, and she's driving all over the place, people are giving us dirty looks and it's really embarrassing because we're too far away to explain.  Then almost at the end, we're chatting and I ask her who she went to to get it (thinking she'd say some type of "golf authority" or her doctor or something) and she said she just created it at home with a silkscreen machine.  Ugh.  Definite etiquette no no.

ya I will make sure I dont fake a handicap sign anytime soon. I come across that allllll the time and it always pisses me off. haha jk

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I paired up with a guy half way threw the front nine today. I tried to tee my ball up maybe 10 yards behind the black tees on hole 10 and he said, "You can't do that". I said "do what?", then he expalined to me that you can't tee your ball up more then two club lengths behind the tees. I was just being lazy when I teed up, but I learned something new. I'm assuming he new what he was talking about and I'll look it up eventually, I thought it was interesting though.

Sincerely, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post

I paired up with a guy half way threw the front nine today. I tried to tee my ball up maybe 10 yards behind the black tees on hole 10 and he said, "You can't do that". I said "do what?", then he expalined to me that you can't tee your ball up more then two club lengths behind the tees. I was just being lazy when I teed up, but I learned something new. I'm assuming he new what he was talking about and I'll look it up eventually, I thought it was interesting though.

He was correct.  You have to tee off between the tee markers and no more than 2 club-lengths behind them.

From Section II - Definitions in the Rules:

Quote:

Teeing Ground

The “ teeing ground ’’ is the starting place for the hole to be played. It is a rectangular area two club-lengths in depth, the front and the sides of which are defined by the outside limits of two tee-markers. A ball is outside the teeing ground when all of it lies outside the teeing ground .

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I always find that watching the other persons ball off the tee really can lower frustration later in the hole when you're driving around looking.  Watch from behind the ball, so you can see the entire flight.  We hardly ever loose golf balls this way, even in the shallow woods and rough.

Agreed, but don't stand behind the player when he or she is hitting. :-)

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Quote:

If someone skips and they're still in the line of fire when you get there, then they'd should have skipped two holes or waited to play through the proper way. Pompous jerks.

Even if they're not in the line of fire right away (or skip 2 holes), if they end up getting stuck behind a slower group later in the course, and you end up stuck behind them, they've inconvenienced you.

IMO, just don't jump. Unless you're willing to go back to hole #1 if you end up holding up groups you jumped in front of.

Bill

Surprised no one has said anything regarding players hitting multiple balls on a consistent basis. I've played behind foursomes with eight to ten balls on the green. Not only does it result in unnecessary damage to the green, but it's incredibly rude to those waiting behind you and your group (if they aren't doing the same).

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Driver (9.5*, graphite, stiff)   |  

|   Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Fairway Wood (15*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Cobra Baffler T-Rail Hybrid (19*, graphite, stiff)   |

|   Callaway Razr X HL 4-PW (steel, stiff)   |

|   Callaway X-Series Jaws Chrome Wedges (54.12, 58.8, steel, stiff) |

|   Vulcan Putter   |

|   Callaway Diablo HX Diablo, Bridgestone E6 Balls |

I've thought of a few more recently.

- The correct tee box, please play it. If I can out drive you with my 6 iron from the men's tee's you're playing the wrong set.

- Stop looking for your ball for so long. Especially when you and everyone else in your group saw it go 30 yards deep into the woods. Take a drop and carry on. I look for about a minute at the most. If I know it went in, I don't look at all. Stop buying expensive balls if you're so worried about loosing them.

- Quit bullshitting and picking your ass when you pull up to the next tee box. I played an entire hole last week before this foursome of jokers tee'd off two holes in front of me. We have a standing "if you're ready, tee off" rule in my group. It's a beautiful thing.

Everytime I go tee off, I like to pick up broken tees and cigarrette butts or any other trash I may see and put it in the bin.

I don't understand why so many people leave the broken tees on the ground when there is a bin 10 ft. from the tee box.

Note: This thread is 3417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!