IGNORED

2012 AT&T National at Congressional Country Club Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

KJ Choi 13 over

That's really unfortunate.  I really like Choi and was hoping to see him there Sunday.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

That's really unfortunate.  I really like Choi and was hoping to see him there Sunday.

yeah same... not sure why i root for him but when he's in contention i like to see him do well

He seems like a good guy. His group walked past us at Olympic and he was one of the few guys that acknowledged the crowd. It was just a smile and a tip of the hat but it was cool of him to do that

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

yeah same... not sure why i root for him but when he's in contention i like to see him do well

He is quite clearly one of nicest, most genuine players out there. On the 18 th yesterday, he acknowledged the crowd in exactly the same way he would have if he'd had a great round. You wouldn't know if he had shot 6 over or 6 under. He should be one of everyone's favorites. You will never see him scowl or misbehave.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

QuotNote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

He seems like a good guy. His group walked past us at Olympic and he was one of the few guys that acknowledged the crowd. It was just a smile and a tip of the hat but it was cool of him to do that

Not sure why?  Here are some reasons:

• He is known as "The Tank"
  • His favorite movie is First Blood.

• He was a power lifter who could squat 350 pounds as a 95-pound 13-year old. No longer lifts heavy weights.He says of his biggest swing flaw: "I bend too much at the top, a bad habit from doing so many squats as a weightlifter."
  • His favorite american food is a t-bone steak.

And of course, as Shorty mentioned, he does seem like a genuinely nice guy.  He loved when those guys wore Chois Bois shirts, here is a quick note on that:

Quote:

Prior to finishing the third round Sunday morning, Choi went over to the group, introduced himself and ask them to "stick around" and meet him behind No. 18 after the round for a picture.

"So, you are the guys!" said Choi.  "I’m very thankful for the support."

Page said Choi’s eyes lit up when he saw the T-shirts and he told the group he wanted to put the picture on his website.

Choi’s manager Michael Yim admitted that it was a very special moment for his client.

"When he noticed them during the practice rounds, he asked ‘Who are these guys? I want to meet them.’   Normally, you see the Korean fans follow K.J. in the crowds," Yim said. "For a group of Americans from Nashville to fly all the way over to Sawgrass to follow K.J. every year is unbelievable. When K.J. met them today, he found them to be very down to earth fellows.

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/05/15/chois-bois-cheer-on-their-favorite-pro/

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

You don't see this too often, Kevin Stadler lost his cool

Quote:

On the par-5 sixth hole – his 15th of the day – Stadler  was 45 yards short of the green after three shots. Ignoring his playing partners, Stadler walked up to the ball for his fourth shot, pulled out a putter and struck the shot – from 45 yards away from the hole.

With blinders on, Stadler proceeded to walk up to the green and rushed a 15-foot par bid to the hole. He left it a foot short, tapped in for bogey and walked to the tee at the par-3 seventh before his playing partners could even approach the green to putt.

It wasn't a statement about slow play, or his playing partners, but rather a rush to complete the round, according to the Washington Post, who spoke with Stadler afterward.

His rendition of speed golf did not accelerate the trunk-slamming finish for Stadler. He not only waited for his partners to finish, but then the group had to wait an additional five minutes on the next tee.

Stadler shot 4-over 75 on Friday, which was a shot better than his first-round effort. At 9 over, however, it was best to get out of the heat instead of stay heated.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Shorty

He is quite clearly one of nicest, most genuine players out there. On the 18 th yesterday, he acknowledged the crowd in exactly the same way he would have if he'd had a great round. You wouldn't know if he had shot 6 over or 6 under.

He should be one of everyone's favorites. You will never see him scowl or misbehave.

He is one of my favorites, although I don't think it has anything to do with his countenance.

Originally Posted by mvmac

That is weird, although the description is still a bit vague.  Did he do it to escape the heat?  To get home quickly after a rough round?  Or was he pissed about something that he refuses to speak about so as to avoid controversy?  That isn't normal.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Nice round from Tiger today and it's also nice to see Hunter Mahan working his way up the leaderboard.  Hopefully he finishes strong.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Not sure why?  Here are some reasons:

He is known as "The Tank"

His favorite movie is First Blood.

He was a power lifter who could squat 350 pounds as a 95-pound 13-year old. No longer lifts heavy weights.He says of his biggest swing flaw: "I bend too much at the top, a bad habit from doing so many squats as a weightlifter."

His favorite american food is a t-bone steak.

And of course, as Shorty mentioned, he does seem like a genuinely nice guy.  He loved when those guys wore Chois Bois shirts, here is a quick note on that:

Thats Awesome!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Hard not too when you're a big fella playing in 105ºF. :banana:

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I can't believe how hot it is at this tournament.  That has to be miserable - especially when you're playing such a beastly setup.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I can't believe how hot it is at this tournament.  That has to be miserable - especially when you're playing such a beastly setup.

This is the kind of situation that almost killed Ken Venturi when he won his US Open at Congressional back in 1964.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19451411/play-suspended-at-congressional-after-storm-downs-trees

Quote:
BETHESDA, Maryland -- A massive storm overnight has suspended the third round of the AT&T; National because of several trees on the ground at Congressional. Officials say even if the course is readied, fans will not be allowed on Saturday.
"Winds in the range of 70-80 mph were reported," according to a statement issued by the U.S. PGA Tour. "No confirmation has been made on a tornado. There are trees and tents down all over the course and roads leading to the course. Clean-up has begun. Electricity is out at the course."
"At this time, it's unknown if competition will take place today," according to Saturday's statement. "Competition will definitely resume on Sunday."

Well that sucks. Will they shorten it down to three days if they can't play today?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

This is the kind of situation that almost killed Ken Venturi when he won his US Open at Congressional back in 1964.

You have to think hydration and medicine today is a bit better than in the '60s though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

[QUOTE]Round 3 to start at 1 p.m. ET The latest: Course being cleaned after overnight storm; course closed to fans, volunteers for their safety; Saturday tickets honored for Sunday. [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/r471/tee-times.html]Updated tee times: Leaders off at 3:10 p.m. ET[/URL][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

Quote:
Round 3 to start at 1 p.m. ET
The latest: Course being cleaned after overnight storm; course closed to fans, volunteers for their safety; Saturday tickets honored for Sunday.
Updated tee times: Leaders off at 3:10 p.m. ET

Thanks Zeph.  I was contemplating playing in a late scramble, but I'd rather watch the tourney if they're still having it today.

Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!