IGNORED

Sharpie line on the seam?

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Line on seam?

• Yes ,I need that line for all putts.
    • Yes, need it for some.
    • No, I don't need one.

I have a line maker at home but it's not really necessary. Putting a line on the ball makes putting to mechanical and rigid. There's no need to follow an exact line even though you see the pros do it on TV. Ben Crenshaw says that "speed determines line" not vice versa. It is good for training though if you think your alignment is a little off.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been marking my ball recently and it has been working out really well for me. but the other day i couldn't seem to get the ball lined up, cause the ball would keep rolling when i had it correct. sometimes getting it lined up in itself was really frustrating. i gave up using the line for the rest of the day . i started sinking my putts after i switched to standing behind the ball and lining up without the line. i believe this worked out better cause i felt more confident with that approach than using the line.
so in my opinion, don't rely too much on the line on the ball. if you feel more confident without it, then go for it.

i'm happy now that i rarely 3 putt. one or none every round.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

i dont need it since most golf balls have a line and all i use is titleist and all titleist balls have the A.I.M on it..... i try to align it on all putts but tap'ins cause ive missed and lipped so many little putts cause i wasent lined or was rushing for tap'in........... and on a tee box for me ive never lined up like that i have a good sense on alignment

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

I recently bought one of those things to put a nice line on the ball (yeah, I know, could have just used a gatorade ring... ). I use spot putting because I feel it 1) helps me keep my line better 2) helps me trust my line better 3) accelerate through the ball for better roll. The line on the ball now really helps to see the correct line, find a spot on that line about 8 inches in front of the ball (standing above the ball after aiming the line from behind) and get my putter square to the line. Very precise putting. I used to try to pick out a spot and keep my eye on it while moving around the ball into the address position. I would always loose the spot and have to try again. With the line on the ball, I not only can always pick a new spot on the correct line, but I can make sure the putter is square as well.

Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

• 2 years later...
Just say no to the lines, man. The lines are like putting on crack or heroine - way too addictive.
When I'm putting and look down the only thing I want to see on my ball is... white.
However, when I'm driving and I look down the only thing I want to see is the imaginary image of my ex-wife's face! Once an artist-friend of mine drew her face on a golf ball with an xtra-fine point marker. It looked just like her. I lost that ball after I drove it 350 trying to play short of a water-hazard at 320. My foursome all said "...damn, dude, you got all of that one," after I smoked it right into the lake.
I swear when it hit the water I thought I saw a gator dive into the water after it... oh we can dream can't we?
BB

06 X-Tour 460 9° Driver Fujikara
06 X-Tour 13.5° 3W Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana
08 X 5W-18° or X 2H-18° Fujikara
BB X12 Pro 3-PW Rifle 6.0Callaway 36" S2H2 #1 Putter CG12-DSG 52° & 58° Wedges Rifle Spinners"Keep close count of your nickels and dimes, stay away from whiskey, and...

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!