Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lost-Ball

Private courses are for.........

Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

0  

3 members have voted

  1. 1. private golf courses are for .......

    • those who are good players and dont want hackers getting drunk on and tearing up their course
      11
    • higher class people who only want to be around other higher class people while playing golf
      25
    • those who might be racist towards people of a different color
      2
    • people who have the extra money to spend so they are pampered as soon as they set foot on the course
      31
    • people who take the game of golf more serious and dont mind paying for the more serious atmosphere
      59


146 posts / 10393 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

be honest. this doesn't apply to places where you have to live in the neighbor to have any chance of being a member (if there is such a thing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted the last one, but dont feel that any really apply.

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours, monthly tournaments and playing around people that take pride in their course.

As an added benefit, our pro shop charges less for any equipment than you will find anywhere else, there are many non-golf extracurricular activities constantly and I always have a place to get a drink where I know everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

I voted the last one, but dont feel that any really apply.

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours, monthly tournaments and playing around people that take pride in their course.

As an added benefit, our pro shop charges less for any equipment than you will find anywhere else, there are many non-golf extracurricular activities constantly and I always have a place to get a drink where I know everyone.


then u should of voted the paying extra to be pampered one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by meenman

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours,

This does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by meenman

I voted the last one, but dont feel that any really apply.

I joined a private club for my guaranteed reasonably early Saturday morning tee time, no worries about rounds lasting much more than 4 hours, monthly tournaments and playing around people that take pride in their course.

As an added benefit, our pro shop charges less for any equipment than you will find anywhere else, there are many non-golf extracurricular activities constantly and I always have a place to get a drink where I know everyone.

Originally Posted by Lost-Ball

then u should of voted the paying extra to be pampered one.

I agree with Harmonious.  This doesn't say pampered to me.  I take pampered to mean valets, caddies, shoe shiners, and such.

Meenman just wants the luxury of not having to deal with enormous crowds and torn up greens.

(And I didn't vote, because if I did/could join a private club it would be for the same reasons as Meenman)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The advantages of a private club are many:  rounds under 4 hours, generally better conditions on the course, especially the greens -- people seem to care for their course because they will be playing there a lot, and sometimes there are especially good pros.  The disadvantages are higher expense (typically.)  Some private clubs tend to cater to single digit handicaps, some to members who demonstrate a love and knowledge of the game, and some just because you live within a development, and yes there are some who appear to have a level of snobbery -- but I have not really encounter that in a few decades.  A club's personality and whether it is more or less exclusionary varies all over the place.  I did not give an answer for the questions above.  I choose golf courses based on the quality of the course and the typical speed of play one can expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 3rd option is ridiculous in my opinion.

If I could afford it.. I would be part of a private course also. It would be a comfort thing. Another piece of the game to call 'your own', a second home even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To keep all the riff raff out. I don't want to play 5 hour + rounds and my club course is clearly the best in the state. Definitely worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for the last one, only because it was the best, but none of the options are great (and the one is just ridiculous).

Agreed on all points. I joined one for better practice facilities: grass ranges, short game area, etc. There are some affordable private clubs out there. They aren't just for the super rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently played a tournament at a private club and I'll surely be joining one next year. I'm 18 so I don't have to pay all that much, and with my current summer employment and simple investments I believe I'll have the funds to pay for my annual + membership fee. The reason I love it is because once you've paid, it's unlimited practice on a beautiful course that isn't very crowded, a practice range where every ball is an NXT Tour and you actually hit off GRASS, and locker room facilities nicer than I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a summer membership years ago at Binks Forest in Wellington, Fl, the only time I've been a member anywhere. It was a nice experience for a number of reasons -

They knew me by name when I'd show up.

Range balls were complimentary.

Course was always wide open.

And it was a nice course. Often I would go there just to practice, not to play, and I enjoyed having my run of the range, putting green, etc. It was peaceful.

So those are my reasons, which don't neatly fit any of the categories (I don't consider them knowing me by name to being 'pampered'), but is closest to the last one, so that's how I voted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a difference between Private Courses and Country Club courses that are members-only?

I think they just join "because they can" and they are rich and rich people gonna rich. I know some really awesome people with a lot of money, and I know even more fat grumps with a lot of money. Most of the awesome people don't join the Country Club here because it's full of fat grumpy men whose hearts are green with money-lust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by pixel5

Is there a difference between Private Courses and Country Club courses that are members-only?

I think they just join "because they can" and they are rich and rich people gonna rich. I know some really awesome people with a lot of money, and I know even more fat grumps with a lot of money. Most of the awesome people don't join the Country Club here because it's full of fat grumpy men whose hearts are green with money-lust.


Just a little bit of envy/bias in this post, wouldn't you say?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can promise you that the people at my home course are not "super rich".  It's worth the dues to play a course that while not pristine, is certainly no goat track either.  The people there take golf seriously but themselves, not so much.  Are there a few asshats, sure, but mostly just good people.  You can be "private" without being "exclusive".  By that I mean if you want to join my club and are willing to agree to pay the dues, you can join.   My initiation process involved me simply stroking a check for the 1st month and then going on out to play.   I guess the last option suits me best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Just a little bit of envy/bias in this post, wouldn't you say?.

Envy? Absolutely not. Bias? Everyone in this thread is biased because they either are a private course member or aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • I’ve used the tool below. it depends on the type of grip. With plain rubber grips, it works pretty well. Chorded grips are harder. You’ll need grip solvent and be patient. V-GROOVE GRIP REMOVER Safely removes grips from any golf club allowing the grip to be re-used    
    • Pretty amazing the coach was able to get him to make a change that stuck so solidly. 😆
    • Gutted with our local course in such brilliant conditions ... now nothing for least 4wks >> General Guidance New Zealand is now at COVID-19 Alert Level 4. This means New Zealanders not working in essential services must stay at home and stop all interactions with others outside of your household. This is a major step for the country however eradicating this disease is vital to protect people’s health and ensure our health system can cope and look after New Zealanders who become sick. The move to Alert Level 4 has major consequences for the golf sector. From Wednesday 25 March at 11.59pm, all operations at golf clubs must cease for at least four weeks. This means all golf courses, practice facilities, clubhouses, pro shops, bar, function and catering facilities must now be closed. While this a major move for the country, the government is trying to save lives and we urge the golf sector to do all we can to play our part. Regarding the maintenance of golf clubs and facilities during the four-week shut down period, we are working with the government (with the support of Sport NZ) to seek urgent and critical advice. We accept that if golf courses/facilities are not maintained to at least a basic standard over the next four weeks, the task of repatriating to current conditions may not be achievable nor affordable for a great number of clubs. With that in mind, we have asked for two exemptions on behalf of golf facilities: a) If essential and critical maintenance of golf facilities is necessary, it can be undertaken in a strictly solo manner by an individual who lives within the golf facility property.   b) If essential and critical maintenance of golf facilities is necessary, it can be undertaken in a strictly solo manner by an individual who lives outside of the golf facility property. We have been seeking an urgent response to these requests for many days and we remain hopeful that advice is imminent. Until formal advice to the contrary is received, we recommend that no maintenance of golf facilities is undertaken during the shutdown period. New Zealand Golf will continue to communicate any updates through our website, social platforms and via direct correspondence.
    • I’ll just share an anecdotal story about a pro from our country. He didn’t make it on the European Tour but pretty much anyone who is working in golf in Slovenia was pretty certain he would the first to do so, he was really close, I’d say his hcp was in the +4-5 range at that time. So he went to Sweden to a top coach who is coaching players on the PGA tour. I can’t recall the name. But he forced him to change his swing so that the trail elbow is forced forward in the rotation (think Dustin Johnson-ish). That was last year. The guy still struggles to break 80, can’t hit a fairway for the life of him. Afaik he doesn’t work with the coach anymore but still can’t find his previous swing. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...