IGNORED

Are you a player or a practicer?

Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a player or a practicer?

• Player
    • Practicer
    • Option C (Both)

Do you like to sift through the minutae of every aspect of the golf swing? Do you have a perfect swing in mind - something you're always working toward? Or do you prefer to just go out and play golf?

PS. Yes, there's at least one grammar error here. Option C was going to be, "I just like to argue and nit pick".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are two pretty extreme positions. I like to have fun on the range trying different shots, especially around the green. That in itself is a pleasant way for me to spend a few hours. When I play, it's like the course is a puzzle to be solved. That's fun, too.

Originally Posted by Limpinswinger

No option for 50/50?

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Those are two pretty extreme positions. I like to have fun on the range trying different shots, especially around the green. That in itself is a pleasant way for me to spend a few hours. When I play, it's like the course is a puzzle to be solved. That's fun, too.

Option C it is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

I'm in the "both" group.

I have more fun on the golf course when I've put in the work (which is also fun) on the practice range and play and score better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm in the "both" group.

I have more fun on the golf course when I've put in the work (which is also fun) on the practice range and play and score better.

I had some poll questions, but it won't let me add them now since I wanted to add a middle ground options (prefer to play, prefer to practice, prefer to play just enough to know what to practice, practice just enough to play well, do whichever fits in schedule).

PS. I see the poll is updated now - very concise.

More of a practicer. 10/1 at least. Guess I hope that one day, if it pays off, I'll get to be a playa.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator
Originally Posted by sean_miller

Yeah, you didn't add a poll when you created the thread, so I added one. It's still early. If you want a few more choices in there I can delete it and create a new poll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Yeah, you didn't add a poll when you created the thread, so I added one. It's still early. If you want a few more choices in there I can delete it and create a new poll.

I did but there was no "C". I tried to add another question and got shut down. Tried to delete it and start anew but you beat me to it. Sorry for getting all techie on you.

I used to play four to five times a week but now I'm a practicer.  Most of the times I play now are in club competitions or with my son and Dad.  But you'll see me out there most late afternoon working on my "model" swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Practicer. I love playing golf, but when I do, I usually end up wanting to hit the range to work on my game. When I'm playing well, it's awesome to play, but when I don't, not so much. It's not that I don't enjoy it, I just want to get better. At this point, it's not about scoring, but about hitting good shots. I'm more happy with a bad score and good ballstriking than the other way around. Some people probably say I practice too much, but if I get more joy out of practicing than playing, I don't see the problem. Those rounds where I hit it well on the course more than makes up for all the hours spent practicing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Practicer. I problably practice 20 hours or more on each hour I play golf. Im not enjoying the game of golf if my goal is only to play, I need to get better and that's what makes it fun for me.

I definitely play more. The main reason is there's a course close to me that costs the same to walk 9 as a bucket of balls at the range. If I'm struggling off the tee, I'll hit the range instead of playing once a week. Mostly, I play. I feel like the array of lies and different shots trumps the perfect lie shots at the range.

Also, it depends on where you are in your game. Two years ago I was at the range every other day and only played once a week. I think it depends a lot on how comfortable you are with your swing. Obviously everyone needs more range time, but I think it's a call that the individual should make more than anything. That said, getting off the first tee isn't really something you can practice at the range.

Finally, I practice 30 yds. and in shots in my yard almost daily (off a mat). It's helped me around the green tremendously. My main goal is to hit more GIR, but I can't deny how much better my short game is from practicing at home.

Depends on the time of year... in the summer when it's hot as hell and the courses are empty and cheap I play a lot. In the winter, which is our season here, I practice more as it costs much more to play and the courses are packed. In the winter I'll play once a week and probably hit balls four or five times, in the summer I play 3 times a week and just hit some balls to warm up.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'd like to think I'm a purely a player, but in reality most times I go out it's for just a few holes, by myself, and when on the course I'm always tinkering with my mechanics and making notes (mostly mental ones) about distances and ball flight. It's rare I get to play a full round other than weekly league play, and that's only 9 holes.

Definitely a practicer this year.  I still play a lot though (about 27 holes per week).  But I also hit the range 3-5 times per week.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Practicer by necessity. As a father of two younglings my time and money budget is sadly restricted. I can hit the range 3-4 times a week before work but 6 hours (includes travel and after round beers) for golf is hard to come by . If I had the time and money I would probably be a player with a little range time here and there to work on specifics but as it is...the occasional 9 hole round is all I can muster. Luckily I enjoy the range almost as much as real golf and in the long run it will hopefully pay dividends.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Practicer by necessity. As a father of two younglings my time and money budget is sadly restricted. I can hit the range 3-4 times a week before work but 6 hours (includes travel and after round beers) for golf is hard to come by . If I had the time and money I would probably be a player with a little range time here and there to work on specifics but as it is...the occasional 9 hole round is all I can muster. Luckily I enjoy the range almost as much as real golf and in the long run it will hopefully pay dividends.

Same here.  If I had my druthers (sp?) I would play all the time and practice at the range rarely.  But I don't, so the range at lunch a few times a week is all I get, plus a round a month or so.

EDIT:  I voted "player" because that's the kind of golfer I'd like to be.

Note: This thread is 4110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!