IGNORED

Which ball do you use? or prefer?

Note:Β This thread is 5576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Which ball do you play or prefer?

• Titleist Pro-V1
    • Titleist Pro-V1x
    • Taylormade TP/Red
    • Taylormade TP/Black
    • Srixon Z-URC
    • Srixon Z-URS
    • Callaway HX TOUR
    • Callaway HX TOUR 56
    • Bridgestone B330
    • Bridgestone B330-S
    • Nike One Black
    • Nike One Platinum
    • Callaway HX HOT
    • Titleist NXT
    • Titleist NXT Tour
    • Top-Flite D2
    • Titleist DT-Solo
    • Nike Juice 312

GOLF Magazine's February 2008 issue has a review of 50 golf balls.

Some of the balls are very hard to find in my area and even on the internet.

Wilson's Zip and Luxe are two I have not seen and the Taylor Made Tour Black is available over the internet only.

Interesting to see that Tiger's ball is the softest ball tested (and the highest spin rate too).

I'm using the Titleist Pro VIx now; I like a soft ball too.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer John Daly Roaring Distance Extremes because they often go on sale at Big 5 for 15 @ $9.99 (over half off) - I think they are a Dunlop ball. And try as I might, at this point in my game I can't tell the difference between them and the Titleist HVC Tour SF, Callaway HX HOT, or ProVI 'refurbs' I got for xmas.

Guys, at what point does a rookie player notice the difference???

The other plus with the John Dalys is I rarely run into anyone else playing them so I never have any trouble identifying my ball.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Titleist Pro V is my ball, Use to love the Profesional but of course they stopped making it, For me its not about the driver or irons but the wedges and the putter, I want a soft spinnable ball that rolls of the face sweet, Hence the Pro V

G2 8.5:
3 wood
4 wood
7 wood
attack 9 wood, CG 2 IronsCG 12 Wedges, Putter

Guys, at what point does a rookie player notice the difference???

For me, I noticed the difference when I hit a softer ball and could feel how much difference there was. I used to play Top Flites and Pinnacles all of the time cuz they were cheap and easy to find. When I noticed how much better the contact felt when i hit a softer ball.....I was all over it. Now I prefer the softer balls (although not quite to the ProV level {those things stop too quick on the green for me} as I am not quite a pin shooter yet).

I have been using fairly cheap balls for the last two years. I made this decision because I was in law school for 3 years during which I played very little. I just got back into golf in 2005 and I knew I would be losing tons of balls. Couldn't see how I could justify losing 6 prov1s per round...

slowly switched to the NXT tours last year and now since I lose approx. 1-2 balls per round and am breaking 90 regularly decided to switch the TP reds.

in 2008 am thinking about going prov1s since I was using those way back in 2001 before law school and loved them. We will see!

I generally use the ProV1 or ProV1x. However, I will also use the NXT Tour, DT SoLo and the Nike Juice pretty regularly. I do have a dozen TP Reds in the box waiting for the courses to thaw out.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 2 weeks later...
I play mostly Pro V1's. I think the feel off the irons and spin around the greens are unmatched. My problem is I seem to have a hard time controlling them off the tee at times. If it's a windy day, I'll play the Pro V1x, due the lower ball flight and more penetrating trajectory, or I'll also play the Pinnacle Exception. If they could ever come up with a ball that is soft as butter and spins around the greens, but has no spin off the driver I'll be first in line....

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

NXT Tour A good compromise between distance and spin for my game.

Driver, G20
Fairway, G20 3W
Fairway, G20 5W
Hybrid, i20
Irons & Wedges, i20

Sand Wedge, Eye 2

Putter, Redwood Piper S

In the recent GOLF Magazine ball test, the Noodle+ comes up in my range.
Haven't been able to find them here yet...

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMadeΒ RBZ 3 HLΒ 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18Β° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22Β°

PingΒ G2 steelΒ 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PWΒ 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60Β° orΒ Nike SV Tour 50Β°

Yes! Sophia blade

I'm usually playing a ProV1 but this winter I tried the TP Red, TP Black, Bridgestone e5 and e6.

I still like the ProV1 but the price tag is a little steep for me so I had to find an alternative. The TP Red makes a great winter ball, it is very soft and is wonderful around the greens. The TP Black is to hard for me. It feels and sound like I'm hitting a glass ball. Both the Bridgestones are great around the green but for some reason I'm hooking them off the tee and long approaches. I thought it was my swing so I dropped a ProV1 on the tee and drove it straight with a slight draw. I'd imagine the Bridgestones would be excellent for faders.
The thing I've found about the TP Red is I chew 'em up, so I have to switch to a new one every 6 holes, which can be a good thing. Also, I can spin these far easier than the ProV1, so I attack past the pin on most approaches. I haven't tried the New TP Red (4 ply) yet. Also, if anyone knows, are the Burner TP's (3 ply) similar to the old TP Red or Black or neither?

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

I'm usually playing a ProV1 but this winter I tried the TP Red, TP Black, Bridgestone e5 and e6.

There is a Burner (2 piece), the Burner TP (3 piece) and the Red & Black have been redesigned. I just bought the Burner TP's today, but it's winter out here, so it wil be a few months before i can try them...

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMadeΒ RBZ 3 HLΒ 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18Β° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22Β°

PingΒ G2 steelΒ 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PWΒ 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60Β° orΒ Nike SV Tour 50Β°

Yes! Sophia blade

I bounce back and forth between these:
Titleist ProV1
Nike ONE Black
Callaway HX Tour

And if I'm on a hole where I might lose a ball:
Any Nike, like Power Distance or the like.

My bag:
Irons: Rac OS2
Driver:
Putter: STX Sync 9740
Balls: One Black Pro V1 HX Tour

I voted for the Bridgestone tour & I also like the Srixon AD 333.At the Moment I am trying out a new ball called the Vision U. V. It performs similar to the AD 333 but is a bright yellow green colour & actually glows when the light starts to dim on overcast days. Due to my age I was starting to hit the ball out of sight but with this high visibility ball I am again enjoying seeing where the ball finishes up.

I'm a Titleist DT-Solo user .. or should I say "was" becausse I noticed on the Titleist website they don't make them anymore. It's been replaced by DT roll and DT carry.
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5Β° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15Β°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20Β°/3, 23Β°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52Β° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

New Nike One Black or Platinum. Stewart Cink's comments last week sum it up; "I'm using this new Nike One Black. It's a longer ball off the tee for me. I get great ball flight. I'm just way longer than the guys I used to not be longer than. My game has changed because I'm hitting the ball a lot longer."

Cool new Tiger ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIF8kwL85A

My fav is the Nike SuperSoft. With my game it's long enough and doesn't feel like a rock. I also use Titleist NXT or Tour and Pinnacle Exception (same ball)

Joe

In the bag at this point

Adams RPM 9.5Β°
Adams Tightlies Strong 3 16Β°
Adams Tightlies Strong 7 24Β°Hogan CFT Hybrid 3Hogan CFT irons (5-P)Alien SWCameron Futura 2 35"Top Flight Gamer

Note:Β This thread is 5576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!