IGNORED

good scramble score?

msst8dawgs

No offense,  but if you and your wife are shooting over-par in a 2-man scramble,  and adding your father-in-law, and another player nets you -11,  your father-in-law and that other player must be pretty damn good.

I know how you would assume that.  The the father in law can break 80 on a rare occasion, but mid to upper 80's is more his norm.  The other girl is pretty good but had not played in quite a while when we went.  You gotta think about what you are assuming though.  I could shoot below par by myself if i got to hit each ball four times, not to mention the fact that we had to hitting from the ladies tees.

I played in a 4-person scramble a few weeks ago; our team came in at 58 (-14) which included an eagle on a par-4 (94 yard hole-out by yours truly, thanks).  One other team came in at 58, and two at 60.  We played a fairly tough course; 6700-yard par 72 with 73/132 rating.  Making birdie on every hole is damn difficult; a 190-yard par 3 still requires someone in the group to hit a very good golf shot or hole a great putt (pros are only making 5-10% of putts outside of 25 feet).  I've seen a couple 56s and 57s on easy courses, but that still requires some good golfers on the same team.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A 55 (par 72 course, rating 71.8, slope 129) won the local tournament here over the weekend.    I have no idea how the score broke down as I did not play in it but the board was still up when we got to the course to play this afternoon..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

they cheated......

7 eagles is BS.......I don't care if it is a scramble.  Even if they did eagle 4-par5's..................and they holed out from the fairway 3 times too?  LOL............They are full of crap;...

I call BS.........and I've made 11 par4 eagles over the years. It's not thaaat easy......

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Most scrambles are played by people who call themselves golfers by name only, I just don't see it happening unless it was a team of players with low indexes and even that's a stretch plus it would have to be on some place 6000 yards 67 rating 118 slope.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Uh, ya, I'd say -18 is a pretty good score...

I've played in a lot of scrambles and have never seen -18.

Well we have several events a year (mostly ABCD  tournaments) that are 4 man teams in a scramble format.  18 under isn't a typical score, but I've seen it several times over the years and don't think it unusual and usually a winning score when it happens.  Also the teams are handicapped according to the team make up.  If you don't do that the team with the scratch A player wins and the one with the 8 handicap loses.   Some percentage of the team's total handicap is given to each team in our events.

Originally Posted by Big C

Ummm.... Have you ever played a 2 man scramble? The only way 2 people are shooting 8-9 under is if both are below scratch golfers. Your average pairing of weekend warriors would be happy to break par in a 2 man event.

Again, as above, we have several tournaments over the year with 2 man teams.  Usually 3-4 rounds of golf in varying formats of which one is usually a scramble (selective shot) format.  9 under isn't typical but isn't unusual either and I have seen it several times over my 10 or so years at the club.  As I said in the above comments teams are typically given a handicap as some percentage of the sum of the two handicaps.   But the score does to some extent depend upon what the rules are.  For instance how many drives from each team member is required, can the player who's shot is selected play the next shot (called a "step aside rule"), are higher handicap players at the same tees as lower handicap players, and the list of rules I have seen goes on but won't list them all here.  Just saying that "scramble format" really isn't a standard form of USGA play like match play and is defined differently at various times and different places.

Yes I have played in several 2 and 4 man scramble events over the years and have been on teams that shot the scores I quoted.  You must know that in a scramble format it is all about putting.   Have one or two team members with a hot flat stick and some very good scores are possible just like when you play as an individual.

I think the question was what do I think is a good round and not what is a typical round and that was what I answered.

Butch

We try to shoot for a birdie on every hole, but it doesn't always happen.

I played in a 4-man scramble this past weekend and we finished the round -8.  No bogies on the card just a lot of pars and 8 birdies.

I played in a 4-man scramble last summer at a course playing around 6200 yds.  A couple drivable par 4's.   It was my buddy and I with an older couple.  Each person had to use 4 of his or her drives.  But, you could include par-3's in that category.  We had the expectation that in order to win, you had to shoot nearly -20.  I thought it was reachable, certainly, because the par-5s played only 480yds with a couple reachable par-4s.  But starting off with a par on the first hole, I thought it was over.  But eagling the next hole, par-5 by sinking a 25 footer, gave it back.  We went into the clubhouse at -17, no BSing either, I play by the rules!  Thought we would come in 2nd or 3rd; turns out we had won by 5 strokes.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by xmanhockey7

Best scramble (4 person) score I've ever heard was a 47 on a par 72. The men played the white tees and the girls play the lady tees. There were 3 solid players from the men's tees and a girl who's a pretty good college player playing from the lady tees. They had 7 eagles and all the rest birdies.

7 eagles is ridiculous.  The only way that is realistic is if the girl was a long hitter (which sounds like she could have been) and the ladies tees were so short that she could bomb it up around the green.  However, that would still require 3-4 holeouts from off the green.

Originally Posted by Big C

Ummm.... Have you ever played a 2 man scramble? The only way 2 people are shooting 8-9 under is if both are below scratch golfers. Your average pairing of weekend warriors would be happy to break par in a 2 man event.

I disagree.  I play in a 2-man scramble Golfnow league every Thursday evening.  We play 9 holes, and the winning score in normal conditions is typically around -2 or -3.

Come to think of it, it probably depends on what tees you are playing from as well.  We play from the middle-forward tees which makes it easier on the higher handicappers.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Depends on the rules. Last scramble I played was a fundraiser and they sold mulligans for $1, -20 won that one. We didn't fare well because they also gave out a bunch of drink tickets. At one point I had enough for $50 of free beer. We got bombed and nobody in my group could play with a crap so we pretty much played my ball on every hole. Even with the mulligans the best I could do was an 82. However what we didn't know was there was a prize for last place. I won a $75 gift cert for that course.

Dave :-)

You're right.  I'm assuming it's a standard scramble with no mulligans and no string.  With string, I could see 7 eagles happening.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

7 eagles is ridiculous.  The only way that is realistic is if the girl was a long hitter (which sounds like she could have been) and the ladies tees were so short that she could bomb it up around the green.  However, that would still require 3-4 holeouts from off the green.

The girl typically hits her drives about 225 in the air (Trackman). I wasn't there to witness but I have played the course and it's not very hard. I could see her driving some of the par 4s and a lot of the par 5s play like par 4s to her alone let alone guys who are good player.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Originally Posted by bplewis24

You're right.  I'm assuming it's a standard scramble with no mulligans and no string.  With string, I could see 7 eagles happening.

WTH???? is string? and you can buy mulligans?????

I played one of these things a few years ago and eagled one of the par 5's (used my shots) but it was what they called the blind bogey hole?? And that was a bad thing?

best cheating i have ever seen at a scramble was a foursome of men, who taught George Washington to read (that mean they were really old), scored a -18.  The second place score was -7.  This was a charity scramble for a family of a gentleman who passed away from cancer.   Everyone who had ever won this event had given the winning back to support the family, but not these guys.  they took the prize money and ran.  they were booed by the entire audience.  worst bunch of cheaters i have ever seen.

I'm sorry but I laughed at the guy that brought up -25 as a scramble score. Wow... talk about a fisherman's tale. I had a comment to make but I totally lost my train of thought after picturing a group of people claiming 7 eagles lol. If I was waiting to hear who was in the money and heard that a 47 was announced, I would seriously have to start laughing... pick up my stuff and walk out shaking my head.

On a side note, +4 for yourself and your wife is a good score, absolutely. No need to over-analyze that score in any way.

I guess I'm very sexist, since I also used the word girl.  How vulgar?