IGNORED

good scramble score?

msst8dawgs

figure this is a good place to talk about scramble rules.
Ok..if you're told "two putt max" would you A.) take this to mean that you putt two times and automatically make the third or B.) you take one putt and make the second?
The one club length rule....if you're on the fringe of the green..how far can you actually move the ball to get a better lie?
If you have a skirt..should you hit from where any ladies in the field are hitting from or from the most forward tees?
P.S. I hate scrambles with mulligans and putt maxes and string and gimmies and any other hokey stuff.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

figure this is a good place to talk about scramble rules.

Ok..if you're told "two putt max" would you A.) take this to mean that you putt two times and automatically make the third or B.) you take one putt and make the second?

The one club length rule....if you're on the fringe of the green..how far can you actually move the ball to get a better lie?

If you have a skirt..should you hit from where any ladies in the field are hitting from or from the most forward tees?

P.S. I hate scrambles with mulligans and putt maxes and string and gimmies and any other hokey stuff.

Is there any additional language to the "two putt max" rule?  I would assume it means 2 actual putt attempts, and you make the third.  It seems ridiculous to automatically give every group a 2-putt.  The pros don't even 2-putt every green.

I'd like to know about the club length rule myself.  It would appear to be one club length, no closer to the hole.  Therefore there aren't many circumstances where placing it from fringe-to-green would be further from the hole.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I can't stand all this talk about buying mulligans and whatever stupid rules you guys are talking about.  Just play by the damn rules.  A scramble is easy enough as it is without having to add a bunch of CRAP!

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

I can't stand all this talk about buying mulligans and whatever stupid rules you guys are talking about.  Just play by the damn rules.  A scramble is easy enough as it is without having to add a bunch of CRAP!

Most scrambles are fundraisers and not actual tournaments.  They are trying to make money, and all the money that is spent on mulligans, putting ropes, and what not just help the cause.

Buying mulligans isn't to make it easier. Typically it's part of the fundraising for the host of the tournament. Those tournaments are more about networking than golf.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Buying mulligans isn't to make it easier. Typically it's part of the fundraising for the host of the tournament. Those tournaments are more about networking than

You're right.  Mulligans don't make it easier to get a lower score.

I have played in plenty of charity tournaments and I have two more coming up this summer.  I know what they are about.  Regardless, buying mulligans is stupid and obnoxious.  If they want more money, charge more money, don't sell things that ruin the game of golf.

You're right.  Mulligans don't make it easier to get a lower score.

I think you're confusing the fundraisng part with the traditional meaning of mulligan, it's not to be taken literal. I usually buy $100 worth in the name of my business, obviously I didn't take 100 mulligans. Last one I played some groups bought several hundred of them. In the biz tournaments to do otherwise would be a total douche move. I don't want to be the cheapskate that's there for free lunch and drinks. There's people at these events I deal with in professional life. People that sit on boards that affect my livelyhood. I play it straight. The one I played last month I attended the host's seminar before the tournament, shook lot's of hands and bought the mulligans. At the end of the day all they were was little strips of paper bearing host's logo that I tossed in the garbage. Events like this aren't mini tours and not to be taken seriously.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I think you're confusing the fundraisng part with the traditional meaning of mulligan, it's not to be taken literal. I usually buy $100 worth in the name of my business, obviously I didn't take 100 mulligans. Last one I played some groups bought several hundred of them. In the biz tournaments to do otherwise would be a total douche move. I don't want to be the cheapskate that's there for free lunch and drinks. There's people at these events I deal with in professional life. People that sit on boards that affect my livelyhood. I play it straight. The one I played last month I attended the host's seminar before the tournament, shook lot's of hands and bought the mulligans. At the end of the day all they were was little strips of paper bearing host's logo that I tossed in the garbage. Events like this aren't mini tours and not to be taken seriously.

I'm not confusing anything.  Unlike yourself, there are people who actually buy mulligans to use.

Most of us attend charity tournaments for the same reason, to help the charity.  I spend hundreds of my own money to play in them, and I have no problem doing so.  One I have coming up soon, they are giving away a new Ford Escape to anyone who can ace a par 3.  Damn straight I'll be taking the par 3 seriously!

I'm not confusing anything.  Unlike yourself, there are people who actually buy mulligans to use.

Most of us attend charity tournaments for the same reason, to help the charity.  I spend hundreds of my own money to play in them, and I have no problem doing so.  One I have coming up soon, they are giving away a new Ford Escape to anyone who can ace a par 3.  Damn straight I'll be taking the par 3 seriously!

I've never actually played in one that offered unlimited mulligans for sale.  The ones I play in usually sell a package of 3 per player or 3 per group for 10 bucks or whatever.  They seem to usually make the most money in raffle tickets.

There is one I play in every year when I can make it (it's for the Alzheimer's Foundation of Central California and my mom organizes it) and a guy actually got a hole in one last year where they were giving away a car.  (I missed last year and I don't remember the car, but the previous year it was a BMW)  Unfortunately, as it turns out, he had some professional background and the fine print from the hole in one insurance company forbid that, so he didn't actually get the car.

If they offer mulligans for sale, then it is within the rules to use it.  It sounds like people have a problem with the format.  I understand, because I don't prefer that format either.  But I understand when I'm in a tournament like that, it's not really about winning.  Some tournaments sell unlimited string.  If all I cared about was winning, I'd buy all the string I could afford.  If all you care about is winning within the rules of normal golf, then don't play in those tournament formats.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't care about winning charity tournaments.  My point is that it ruins the game of golf allowing all these stupid rules and paying money to cheat.  I can't stand it, charity or not.

Considering scramble play isn't recognized by the Rules of Golf it's tough to make a case it's ruining anything. There aren't any rules to break.

I don't care about winning charity tournaments.  My point is that it ruins the game of golf allowing all these stupid rules and paying money to cheat.  I can't stand it, charity or not.

Then just don't play.  But if you don't care about winning them, I don't see why you'd care at all.

They make a lot of money and people actually enjoy them...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Then just don't play.  But if you don't care about winning them, I don't see why you'd care at all.

They make a lot of money and people actually enjoy them...

Correct.  I know going in that some ridiculous it-sure-seems-like-they-cheated score is usually going to win, but so what?  The ones I play in, you don't get that good a prize for winning anyway, plus you're not trying to keep your own score, you're just relaxing and having a good time.  The money goes to a good cause, I get to play golf with friends, eat food, maybe win a raffle prize or two.  Everybody (except those that take it seriously) wins!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Correct.  I know going in that some ridiculous it-sure-seems-like-they-cheated score is usually going to win, but so what?  The ones I play in, you don't get that good a prize for winning anyway, plus you're not trying to keep your own score, you're just relaxing and having a good time.  The money goes to a good cause, I get to play golf with friends, eat food, maybe win a raffle prize or two.  Everybody (except those that take it seriously) wins!

Seriously. Even the USGA uses the word "fun" when making suggestions about how to host an unofficial event.

A scramble is an even playing field.  Some teams using mulligans and others not is where it gets ridiculous.  I'm sorry you guys are so upset that I don't like mulligans.  Feel free to un-bunch your panties at any time.

A scramble is an even playing field.  Some teams using mulligans and others not is where it gets ridiculous.  I'm sorry you guys are so upset that I don't like mulligans.  Feel free to un-bunch your panties at any time.

Ironic. Nobody is upset only surprised about the disdain for an unofficial tournament format. If someone enters a scramble and doesn't observe the rules for that particular event, mulligans or not, they aren't very observant or are just plain stubborn. A scramble can be whatever the organizers want it to be. Even the USGA is okay with that. There's not an argument to win or lose here. There's nothing to preserve, there's no rules to break. There's not even one type of recognized scramble, how it's played can vary besides allowing mulligans. The definitions have never been firm. Trying to make a case for the purity of the game as it relates to a scramble is futile.